• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne n Wear Metro strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten2340

Don't think East Coast would mind, but it would be Northern who would complain. The real problem is that it is down to how the revenue is allocated to tickets. For example, GC can run via Darlington when there are problems on the Durham Coast line, but they can only pick up people who would have joined the service at Sunderland/Hartlepool anyway. They wouldn't be allowed to pick up passengers who had a ticket say from Darlington to York (even though GC would stop at York). If they did allow a person to travel from Darlington to York, they would not receive any money.

The situation between Newcastle and Sunderland is more complicated due to the Metro, and the interavailability of both Metro and national rail tickets between Newcastle and Sunderland - from what I understand and have read, Nexus gives a certain proportion of the revenue on the Newcastle - Sunderland line to Northern. So, if no Metros are running, in theory Northern could ask for all the revenue between Newcastle and Sunderland on Thursday.

Sill though it would relieve a massive headache for Northern in terms of passenger numbers if they could come to some agreement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Sill though it would relieve a massive headache for Northern in terms of passenger numbers if they could come to some agreement.

Of course, but at the end of the day I can see revenue coming before helping Northern out in GC's eyes.

Kryten2340

Taking a hint off Bon Jovi-services will need to be more than every 10 minutes and not two-car.

Scotrail seem to manage this quite well whenever Bon Jovi play at Hampden Park as they always put services that are about 7 or 8 cars on. Although the last two times I've seen them there I've never boarded at Mount Florida and walked up to the next station towards Glasgow Central.

Not looking forward to their inevitable appearance at the SOL on their next tour (either 2013 or 2014) as it will no doubt be a nightmare.

Fingers crossed by then Mike Ashley will have caught on to this money making idea and get some acts at SJP. There's just as much housing around SJP than their is at the SOL so to me there's no reason why not.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Of course, but at the end of the day I can see revenue coming before helping Northern out in GC's eyes.

Good point and I can't see it changing. When I went to London last summer I looked at using GC instead of East Coast and found their prices a rip off in comparison.

VTPreston_Tez

The Bon Jovi disaster was TfGM but NT should be ready anyway.
Can we get some Merseyrail pacers and 156s from ATW for the event?

Established Member
Good point and I can't see it changing. When I went to London last summer I looked at using GC instead of East Coast and found their prices a rip off in comparison.

Think I've used GC once on a return from York to King's Cross, as I had to buy on the day and it was the cheapest. Their fares on the section between York and Sunderland are usually quite decent, but there really isn't any point in getting a Metro/Northern service to Sunderland, having to wait for the GC, then taking 3.30 hrs + to get down to London.
All kicking off on the Metro Facebook group as well it seems.

ReverendFozz

142094:1108869 said:
The current Northern pattern is one train per hour and I very much doubt they have extra stock until after rush hour to put on a 10 minute frequency. Northern use 142s and 156s on the line, as these are the only ones signed by conductors in the North East. As has been said before, although Northern have stopped at St. Peter's before, I doubt that they will be allowed to use the Metro stations now.

Northern certainly have stopped at St Peters, but that has mostly been for Tyne-Wear Derby Games to get Newcastle fans to the ground with minimal

While I understand what they are fighting for, nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself and earn an extra few quid, I just understand the timing of the Strike, it is probably one of the busiest nights of the year so far, what really gets me is why do it on a day like this and potentially cripple the rest of the Public Transport System between Sunderland and Newcastle...

Go North East are putting on extra vehicles, but are they going to cope with it, they also said they will be 55 extra buses out, and running till 2am, not sure what it's purpose is, a Shuttle between the Stadium and South Tyneside, Gateshead and Newcastle perhaps...Saying all that, GNE have not done too bad during T&WM strikes, take last November, they ran duplicate services on the high frequency routes

Last edited:

Kryten2340

Does Nexus compensate the retailers who occupy space in the metro stations (I.e the newsagents)? As they are forced to close up shop for the day. Or is this part of their contract?

Ze Random One

Were any of the station concourses actually closed? Given the Nexus Travelshops inside various stations were still open (AFAIK they are operated by Nexus, not DB Tyne & Wear), I doubt it. When I wondered through Heworth station this morning the concourse was most definitely open, and there were two Metro employees giving travel advice to commuters.
If the concourses were open then the shops and coffee stands would have been able to open, although I doubt that their leases give them a guarantee of any trade -- so it may have been a loss making day for them.

alan1962

I do support the union when they strike over a colleague who was victimised which I think I was in my last job in a shop. however I defiantly do not support the union when they strike over pay because that is what I call union greed.

There are loads of us poor and get nothing except dole or just the minimum wage thats if we are lucky to have a job and these drivers have the cheek to vote to strike despite earning £37,000 a year and been given a 1.3% pay rise. If they get strike pay thats been even more of a fat pig.

That is what I think so don't take it personal.
What proof do you have that a Metro Driver earns £37,000 a year? You don't know the facts behind this strike and are spouting drivel.
None of the above has anything to do with choosing to strike on two days which will have the greatest adverse effect on the North East economy. Make no mistake, bargain tool though it may be, the RMT won't give two hoots if the strike does go ahead and other people suffer. Another one for you to ponder. If NEXUS were still your employers, you'd have had your pay frozen for 3 years like the rest of us public servants...
But NEXUS isn't their employers it DB Regio so nothing to do with the public sector and their pay freeze. If you don't like your salary do something about it i.e. try to become a Metro Driver.

notadriver

Established Member
Their basic is 32k for 36 hours. Far less than their colleagues get at Northern or Transpenine and they are forced to sit a very cramped cab like bus drivers.

alexdodds

What proof do you have that a Metro Driver earns £37,000 a year? You don't know the facts behind this strike and are spouting drivel.

Ok its £32,000 easy mistake to make getting the figures wrong. well the news stories explain what their pay is. But still why complain when earning that amount ?

Oh and what do you mean spouting drivel ?

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Kryten2340

The strike has now been called off.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2012/metro-strike-action-21-june

14th June 2012

A full normal Metro service will run on Thursday 21 June after strike action by the RMT, ASLEF and UNITE unions was suspended.

There will also be additional trains for the Bruce Springsteen concert at Stadium of Light that evening.

The announcement follows talks between the unions and employer DBTW, the company which operates Metro stations and trains on behalf of Nexus.

Director General of Nexus, Bernard Garner, said: “We are pleased that there is an agreement and Metro services can return to normal. Passengers will be relieved.

“This has been a difficult and damaging dispute for the region. We will be encouraging all sides to build a better and less confrontational long term relationship for the future.”

Sharon Kelly, Customer Service Director at DBTW, said; "Talks on the pay dispute have now concluded and we can confirm that all three unions have agreed to suspend industrial action on Thursday 21 June.

“RMT and Unite are balloting their members with a recommendation to accept the pay offer and ASLEF are currently consulting their executive committee. However, suspension of action is definite for all three unions.

“Metro will run as normal on Thursday 21 June and for concert goers travelling to the Bruce Springsteen concert at the Stadium of Light.

“Employees will receive a 2.1% or £520 pay increase, whichever is the greater, stretching to 3% depending on current pay. They will also receive a £300 payment - this is the 2011/2012 ‘Red Book Bonus’ paid in full, plus a one-off bonus payment of £200 for the consolidation of the Red Book Bonus for future years, plus additional travel benefits.

“The pay award to members of staff will be funded through efficiency savings within our organisation and not through any additional contribution from Nexus.”

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The cynic in me thinks this bit,

“The pay award to members of staff will be funded through efficiency savings within our organisation and not through any additional contribution from Nexus.”

has a worrying tone to it.

Established Member
The cynic in me thinks this bit has a worrying tone to it.

Normally would mean 'job losses', but one of the committments in the concession from Nexus is that DB Regio have to employ a certain amount of staff. They will no doubt actually have to start taking on more staff due to the gating project which will mean more stations are manned during the day.

Frankfurt

Normally would mean 'job losses', but one of the committments in the concession from Nexus is that DB Regio have to employ a certain amount of staff. They will no doubt actually have to start taking on more staff due to the gating project which will mean more stations are manned during the day.

In a notice to staff they have said that any further industrial action would cause the safeguards of minimum staff numbers and no compulsory redundancies to be at risk. Furthermore they claim that Nexus have indicated they may be prepared to allow such changes.

If this revised offer gets accepted then very well, however we will be in the same situation next year! Maybe earlier if Nexus and DB decide to move goalposts as they feel.

I think serious questions should be asked about the concession on a whole.

Established Member
I think serious questions should be asked about the concession on a whole.

I bet the questions are already being asked. It doesn't look good on both Nexus's and DB's part, and as you say the same thing can happen next year. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.