• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne n Wear Metro strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Strikes have been announced for June 7th and 21st,the days of the Coldplay and Springsteen gigs at the Stadium Of Light.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ze Random One

Should the strikes go ahead, I have some further advice:
For those planning to travel via Newcastle, the advice is that you (obviously) leave extra time for your journey.

Two normal bus routes run to Sunderland from Newcastle, and the operator (Go North East) have announced that extra capacity will be made available on these routes:
- 56 (aka Fab56): From Market Street (Near the junction with Grainger St, stop 46 http://goo.gl/maps/q5V4 ) via Concord
- X3 (Red Arrows): From Eldon Square Bus Station (inside the Eldon Square Shopping Mall) via Boldon
Both routes stop near the Stadium of Light just before they get to Sunderland City Centre.
Route 56 usually runs every 10 minutes, and X3 every 30, however additional buses will be running in the event of a strike.
Although the routes are advertised as also picking up at St Nicholas St (Castle Garth) and Gateshead, I would recommend you go to their origin points in Newcastle, as the buses are likely to be full before reaching there.
There will also be an additional express bus running from Barrack Rd by St James Park non stop to the Stadium of Light.

You can get details of the additional Go North East buses here:
http://www.simplygo.com/news/more-buses-for-stadium-of-light-coldplay-concert-to-cover-metro-strike
And Nexus have a travel information page here:
www.nexus.org.uk/news/2012/strike-action-metro-passenger-information
(there's a link at the bottom of this page showing the stop locations for the special express bus)

There are, additionally, suitable alternative bus routes from other key interchanges:
From Durham Bus Station, Go North East 20* (Prince Bishops)
From Chester-le-Street Town Centre, Go North East 8, 78/78A (Lime) and 71
From South Shields, Go North East 35* (Laser) and Stagecoach E1*, E2* & E6*
From North Shields, Go North East 9, or take the Ferry to South Shields and then as above.
From Washington, Go North East 8 (Lime), 2A and 2C (Silver Arrows)
From Jarrow, Go North East 9 or 26 (Showstopper)

*Buses 20 and 35 run every 10 minutes during the day. Buses E1, E2 and E6 run every 20 minutes on each route during the day. The remainder run every 30 minutes on each route.

If you're having trouble getting on buses in Newcastle, you could also try travelling via Washington (X1) from Eldon Square, and changing at The Galleries Bus station on to the 8, 2A or 2C
Alternatively you can travel via Jarrow or South Shields on the 27 from Market Street, changing as shown above.

Go North East are running late buses to take people home after the concerts on routes:
2C to Washington,
9 to Jarrow and North Shields,
20 to Durham,
35 to South Shields
35 to Hetton le Hole,
56 to Concord and Newcastle,
X3 to Boldon, Heworth and Newcastle, and
24B to Peterlee

There will also be express buses to Heworth and Newcastle only.

alexdodds

I do support the union when they strike over a colleague who was victimised which I think I was in my last job in a shop. however I defiantly do not support the union when they strike over pay because that is what I call union greed.

There are loads of us poor and get nothing except dole or just the minimum wage thats if we are lucky to have a job and these drivers have the cheek to vote to strike despite earning £37,000 a year and been given a 1.3% pay rise. If they get strike pay thats been even more of a fat pig.

That is what I think so don't take it personal.

Frankfurt

Drivers have a salary of just under £33k, to earn £37k would take a lot of rest day working.

I have edited my post after reading it back I went on a right old rant when I was only meant to put a point across. Put simply, the work force isn't greedy and there are more issues to this dispute other than %'s and £'s.

Last edited:

markydh

None of the above has anything to do with choosing to strike on two days which will have the greatest adverse effect on the North East economy. Make no mistake, bargain tool though it may be, the RMT won't give two hoots if the strike does go ahead and other people suffer. Another one for you to ponder. If NEXUS were still your employers, you'd have had your pay frozen for 3 years like the rest of us public servants...

Frankfurt

None of the above has anything to do with choosing to strike on two days which will have the greatest adverse effect on the North East economy. Make no mistake, bargain tool though it may be, the RMT won't give two hoots if the strike does go ahead and other people suffer. Another one for you to ponder. If NEXUS were still your employers, you'd have had your pay frozen for 3 years like the rest of us public servants...

Yes, obvious unions would pick them dates to use as leverage. My comments weren't based around strike dates themselves, more a response to alexdodds.
If still under Nexus then I'd feel aggrieved though wouldn't begrudge other people bettering themselves.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
There are loads of us poor and get nothing except dole or just the minimum wage thats if we are lucky to have a job and these drivers have the cheek to vote to strike despite earning £37,000 a year and been given a 1.3% pay rise. If they get strike pay thats been even more of a fat pig.

That is what I think so don't take it personal.

Jealousy is one of the seven deadly sins ;)

Bet the cleaners aren't on £37k though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18174353
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18262129

Although the BBC has a cheek calling Coldplay rock!! <(<(

Schnellzug

Established Member
This is why the Unions sometimes have difficulty gleaning public sympathy, however reasonable their complaints may be, and why Governments have in the past been able to destroy entire industries on the grounds of crushing the power of the Unions, and on the whole have had public support for doing so. They never seem to realise this, though, seeing as they always seem to be stuck in a Communist Manifesto perpetual class warfare mindset. Really, the Unions are in many ways their own worst enemy.

Kryten2340

Question for Frankfurt:

Are Northern permitted to use the platforms at SOS (you can tell I'm a toon fan) or St Peters for services to the gigs?

notadriver

Established Member
Since when has public sympathy benefitted people getting decent pay rises or maintaining their working conditions? Opinions are like (insert word) - everybody has one.

Established Member
Although I'm actually going to one of the concerts that is affected, I can see why the unions have chosen the dates. Hopefully everything will be resolved by next week - I hope it doesn't go on as far as the Airshow and Great North Run.

Been in contact with Northern to see what they can do with either providing more services or adding capacity. Seeing as there would be no Metros on, a Newcastle - Sunderland shuttle would be a good idea.

londonbridge

Established Member
I'm also going to the Springsteen gig,staying locally so will be okay,but one of my friends going is stopping at Whitley Bay,so I guess it would be #9 bus to North Shields and a taxi for him? Also some speculation that the concerts could be postponed or even cancelled if the safety certificate is withdrawn.

bluenoxid

Established Member
The problem for Northern is that their existing services will be crushloaded anyway. What I would ask for is dispensation for them to alter the timetable so long trains run Sunderland to Newcastle and the standard service operates to Sunderland to Middlesborough. It will require some good crowd management at Sunderland and Newcastle.

I will be honest, I didn't know anything about it whilst travelling on the Metro today. I can see some anger on Thursday.

Kryten2340

Although I'm actually going to one of the concerts that is affected, I can see why the unions have chosen the dates. Hopefully everything will be resolved by next week - I hope it doesn't go on as far as the Airshow and Great North Run.

Been in contact with Northern to see what they can do with either providing more services or adding capacity. Seeing as there would be no Metros on, a Newcastle - Sunderland shuttle would be a good idea.

Seeing as I'm running the Great North Run this year I hope it's sorted in time as it will be a pain in the arse for me getting back when I'm going to be wrecked to start with.

I agree. With no Metro's on Northern should be able to run extra services. I don't think the platforms at St Peters will be long enough to accommodate them if they are permitted to use it but the platforms at Stadium Of Light seem long enough.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm also going to the Springsteen gig,staying locally so will be okay,but one of my friends going is stopping at Whitley Bay,so I guess it would be #9 bus to North Shields and a taxi for him? Also some speculation that the concerts could be postponed or even cancelled if the safety certificate is withdrawn.

This doesn't surprise me. I went to the Kings Of Leon gig last year and they didn't know how to organise a **** up in a brewery.

Established Member
From what I heard, one of the concerts last year was horrendous, but they changed the plans and got it working on the second night.

The problem with with Northern stopping at a Metro station would be ticketing - AFAIK Nexus give a certain proportion of the ticket sales between Newcastle and Sunderland to Northern, so if Northern did want to stop at St. Peter's, they'd no doubt want more of the allocation.

Roughytuffy

Hell no. The "Boss" has spoken. Just take a "Wrecking Ball" to the Metro!

Established Member
Being reported on Look North tonight that talks have broken down and the strike is still on this Thursday.

londonbridge

Established Member
From what I heard, one of the concerts last year was horrendous, but they changed the plans and got it working on the second night.

You'd hope they'd have things running smoothly by now since this is the fourth year of gigs at the stadium-I went to the Oasis one in 2009 and the metro queues after that were horrific.

Established Member
They changed the plans quite quickly as it didn't work the first time, although the work that goes on for the Great North Run is something else that has to be seen to believed.

Frankfurt

Being reported on Look North tonight that talks have broken down and the strike is still on this Thursday.

Unfortunate but correct,

they claim to have offered 2.1%, when what they done was offer to consolidate yearly bonus into salary instead of a 1 off yearly payment.

So original 1.3% + bonus (already entitled to and get in a one of yearly payment) = 2.1%

Gotta admire how they spin it. :-x

notadriver

Established Member
Very low salary and derisory pay offer considering Northern and TPE drivers all get 40k+.

Established Member
Unfortunate but correct,

they claim to have offered 2.1%, when what they done was offer to consolidate yearly bonus into salary instead of a 1 off yearly payment.

So original 1.3% + bonus (already entitled to and get in a one of yearly payment) = 2.1%

Gotta admire how they spin it. :-x

Aye that bit didn't make the Chronicle. Be interesting to see if there are any further talks before Thursday.

I'll asked Northern whether they are adding extra stock on or not, still waiting for a reply. I'm not around on Thursday so if anyone can give updates on what it is like on Northern services, I'd be grateful. Got tickets to the Springsteen concert so will have to decide whether to get a Northern to Sunderland or drive there.

spacehopper

Other than the hot spare that spends most of inbetween peaks stabled on P8 or HLOS unit that stables at Darlo.

Not got crews or units to run an all shacks service. As for concert putting on 55 express buses from Toon to Sunderland. No point in turning up for an overcrowded Pacer because you won't get on. Just use the multitude of alternative buses.

VTPreston_Tez

Taking a hint off Bon Jovi-services will need to be more than every 10 minutes and not two-car. What stock is cleared for the line and what stations can be called at on the Newcastle-Sunderland route by these stock?
Also, I wonder if Grand Central will put on an extra Sunderland to King's Cross to manage the long-distance crowds?

Established Member
The current Northern pattern is one train per hour and I very much doubt they have extra stock until after rush hour to put on a 10 minute frequency. Northern use 142s and 156s on the line, as these are the only ones signed by conductors in the North East. As has been said before, although Northern have stopped at St. Peter's before, I doubt that they will be allowed to use the Metro stations now.

Kryten2340

The current Northern pattern is one train per hour and I very much doubt they have extra stock until after rush hour to put on a 10 minute frequency. Northern use 142s and 156s on the line, as these are the only ones signed by conductors in the North East. As has been said before, although Northern have stopped at St. Peter's before, I doubt that they will be allowed to use the Metro stations now.

I'm sure East Coast would have something to say about this but in theory could GC put on a shuttle service between Newcastle and Sunderland? What stock do they have at that time that would otherwise be ECS? If they are running any ECS movements to Heaton does it not make sense to fill them up to ferry people to Newcastle?

Established Member
I'm sure East Coast would have something to say about this but in theory could GC put on a shuttle service between Newcastle and Sunderland? What stock do they have at that time that would otherwise be ECS? If they are running any ECS movements to Heaton does it not make sense to fill them up to ferry people to Newcastle?

Don't think East Coast would mind, but it would be Northern who would complain. The real problem is that it is down to how the revenue is allocated to tickets. For example, GC can run via Darlington when there are problems on the Durham Coast line, but they can only pick up people who would have joined the service at Sunderland/Hartlepool anyway. They wouldn't be allowed to pick up passengers who had a ticket say from Darlington to York (even though GC would stop at York). If they did allow a person to travel from Darlington to York, they would not receive any money.

The situation between Newcastle and Sunderland is more complicated due to the Metro, and the interavailability of both Metro and national rail tickets between Newcastle and Sunderland - from what I understand and have read, Nexus gives a certain proportion of the revenue on the Newcastle - Sunderland line to Northern. So, if no Metros are running, in theory Northern could ask for all the revenue between Newcastle and Sunderland on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.