• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne Valley extended again and new route in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Kaye

Eezypeazy has worked his magic again -

I’m pleased to announce the latest extension to my Tyne Valley route, and to bring you advance notice of a brand new route I’ve started.

Tyne Valley now starts at Hexham, the market and commuting town in Northumberland. You drive the 0743 Monday to Friday departure, at the controls of a class 156 Sprinter. This is one of only two weekday eastbound trains that call at Blaydon. The route takes you via Wylam (George Stephenson’s birthplace – his actual cottage, although not passed directly by the route, has been used in it) and MetroCentre, Europe’s largest out-of-town shopping centre.

There are versions for BVE 4 and BVE 2.

From this version, the route will be distributed as self-extracting archives, to help you make sure all the files go into the right place. For future releases, I hope to be able to produce both full versions and update versions, to make the downloads faster and easier for those of us (like me) still on dial-up connections. I’m not planning further extension of this route before September, when I’ll probably take it to Sunderland.

I’ve also included a desktop shortcut, which is optional. You’ll find it in the objects\misc folder. If you want to use it, just drag and drop it on your desktop. If BVE and the route and objects are in the default places, it should launch the route automatically for you.

Constructive comments are always welcome.

If you haven’t got the class 156, Anthony has now made it available again at the UK Train Collection, http://www.bvetrains.co.uk/ Being an older BVE train, it doesn’t display the BVE 4 timetable, but you can get the necessary files to make it do that from my site.

Now, for a bit of light relief (!) I’ve started a short, but hopefully interesting, little project. The Alnwick Branch in Northumberland ran for three miles from Alnmouth on the East Coast Main Line to the town of Alnwick. Closed in 1968, the Aln Valley Railway Society has been working hard to reopen the line, both as a heritage railway and as a useful commuting link. Tourism in Alnwick has benefited hugely from the opening of the Alnwick Garden, and part of the justification for this line includes encouraging visits by rail rather than road. As a small contribution to the campaign, I’m building a model of how it might look when it reopens, in two or three years’ time. You’ll drive from Alnmouth at the controls of a heritage class 104 DMU. If I build it properly, you’ll also be able to drive the return journey. Right now, I’ve laid most of the track, and made a start on Alnmouth Station, Cawledge Viaduct and some of the bridges and cuttings in between. With a bit of luck, I’ll have this route ready for release by the end of the month.

Regards to all,

eezypeazy

the website URL is http://members.lycos.co.uk/eezypeazy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewmay

This route keeps getting better and better and at the speed it keeps progresing we could have an excellent route available in no time. This new route sounds promising too, keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Andrew

David

Established Member
HBA135 said:
out of interest, do class 150/1's serve the tyne valley in real life i mean?
I don't think so. IIRC Northern rail have some 150/2's as well as pacers and other sprinters.

evil_hippo

Harry Potter said:
HBA135 said:
out of interest, do class 150/1's serve the tyne valley in real life i mean?
I don't think so. IIRC Northern rail have some 150/2's as well as pacers and other sprinters.

Its either 142s or 156s on that line.

I hope when this is extended further it will recreate the general stopping pattern on the line, whereby trains from points west of Hexham go non-stop to Metrocentre (except at Peak times when everything tends to stop east of Hexham).

clagmonster

Established Member
Northern do have 150/1s which do occasionally crop up on the North-Eastern side but I don't know whether they get that fat. It would be feasable for one from a Cumbrian Coast line service to land onto the Tyne Valley but certainly not common due to the lack of traction knowledge of the Newcastle crews.

Derek Kaye

150's dont opperate on the cumbrian coast line, due to clearance problems (apparently). There is a daily service from Sunderland to Whitehaven in the evening (but not back), and recently I have been seing a 156 in Northern Spirit livery going up and down the coast.

Guinness

Established Member
kayedj said:
150's dont opperate on the cumbrian coast line, due to clearance problems (apparently). There is a daily service from Sunderland to Whitehaven in the evening (but not back), and recently I have been seing a 156 in Northern Spirit livery going up and down the coast.

I've done that 156 journey once. When it was under Northern Sprit. I also wondered what it did when it got to Whitehaven.....

Derek Kaye

Chaz said:
I've done that 156 journey once. When it was under Northern Sprit. I also wondered what it did when it got to Whitehaven.....

My guess is that it runs ECS to either Carlisle or the North East, but I havn't confirmed this yet.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There actually used to be a direct service from Hull-Hexham would you believe :?

Wonder what unit this would have used. Maybe a 158?

Craig

Established Member
Not sure about Hexham - Hull, but until quite recently there was a Carlisle - York service that ran via Sunderland and Middlesborough which was often a 142 :shock:

evil_hippo

There also used to be a carlisle-York service via Appleby that was operated by a 37 and mark 2s :(

What route did this Hull-Hexham take?

Status
Not open for further replies.