• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne Valley Line timetable updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed none via East Coast:

Rail bosses have rejected plans for a new service to run on the East Coast Mainline, but it could run on the Durham Coast route, through Hartlepool and Durham, instead.

More rail services could be sent through Hartlepool and Sunderland due to congestion on the region's main trainline.

Travel operator Northern Rail had planned to begin running a new 'Northern Connect' route linking Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Carlisle.

But plans to use the East Coast Mainline for the scheme have been rejected by national rail chiefs due to high levels of traffic already using the line.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/plans-new-east-coast-mainline-16945199

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Confirmed none via East Coast:
Rail bosses have rejected plans for a new service to run on the East Coast Mainline, but it could run on the Durham Coast route, through Hartlepool and Durham, instead.

More rail services could be sent through Hartlepool and Sunderland due to congestion on the region's main trainline.

Travel operator Northern Rail had planned to begin running a new 'Northern Connect' route linking Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Carlisle.

But plans to use the East Coast Mainline for the scheme have been rejected by national rail chiefs due to high levels of traffic already using the line.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/plans-new-east-coast-mainline-16945199

I thought it was a bit too much to try to thread it through to Carlisle in a single slot, but with a load of ^pre-loved^ EMUs about to come on the market, many with potential for bi-mode conversion, I'm surprised that they cannot figure something out to provide a proper local service south from Newcastle that eases the dependence on Intercity services. Perhaps if a small section of the Forth Banks branch could be wired for use as a turnback siding, although that is probably a bit too creative for Network Rail to even think about.

Veteran Member
I thought it was a bit too much to try to thread it through to Carlisle in a single slot, but with a load of ^pre-loved^ EMUs about to come on the market, many with potential for bi-mode conversion, I'm surprised that they cannot figure something out to provide a proper local service south from Newcastle that eases the dependence on Intercity services. Perhaps if a small section of the Forth Banks branch could be wired for use as a turnback siding, although that is probably a bit too creative for Network Rail to even think about.

I can see the attraction of Teesside-Newcastle via Stockton-Ferryhill, but as there are already 6TPH between Newcastle and Darlington, I am not sure what local function needs filling (other than an extra service at Chester le Street?).
I don't see a need for an east-facing turnback siding.

Recently noticed some DC Rail Freight engines going up and down the TVL, looked like they were doing route learning or similar. Anyone any idea if this for a new freight path or such?

SeanG

Its for diversionary routes when teh S&C is closed in a few weeks I believe, but happy to be corrected. i saw this on the very useful and informative "Durham Coast Line" group on Facebook

The local newspaper has a piece about Gilsland station and it’s possible reopening gaining some ground.

It plays up on the fact it would be the only station directly adjacent to Hadrians Wall, on this basis, where would it fit in on the timetable?

Surely not important enough for the faster services to stop, but would be no problem on the all shacks?

Anvil1984

Established Member
The local newspaper has a piece about Gilsland station and it’s possible reopening gaining some ground.

It plays up on the fact it would be the only station directly adjacent to Hadrians Wall, on this basis, where would it fit in on the timetable?

Surely not important enough for the faster services to stop, but would be no problem on the all shacks?

Depends on what the timetable looks like at the time to be honest. The services which come into Carlisle as stoppers and leave express can have really short turnarounds of around 5 - 7 minutes and the pattern of the stoppers is already potted as it is (some stopping Bardon Mill but not Brampton, some doing the opposite, some doing both and some doing none). However December 2021 is due to see a mini Northern North East rejig so could look then to see the effect

Yes, surely it’s time to have the stoppers actually stopping at all shacks? Surely that’s the whole point of a stopping service!

markydh

Depends on what the timetable looks like at the time to be honest. The services which come into Carlisle as stoppers and leave express can have really short turnarounds of around 5 - 7 minutes and the pattern of the stoppers is already potted as it is (some stopping Bardon Mill but not Brampton, some doing the opposite, some doing both and some doing none). However December 2021 is due to see a mini Northern North East rejig so could look then to see the effect

It's actually this coming December that will see a shakeup, with longer distance services being chopped into constituent parts to deal with reliability issues.

Anvil1984

Established Member
It's actually this coming December that will see a shakeup, with longer distance services being chopped into constituent parts to deal with reliability issues.

Yes indeed. Apologies I don’t know what day it is never mind what year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.