• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

tez thorn

Green is at an end, such a shame, Blue will be close behind

I worked it out the other day that there is only 3 left (4 if you include 4055)

I will add 4036 to the list now

Regards

Tez

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tez thorn

4045 must be due to have its advert stripped by now, its been on it 4 years

I was half expecting this to have the east coast livery on it and not 4038 as it had only recieved its

Thompsons livery at the begining of last year and 4084 had gained the Popcard livery in 2011 so i

personally think it should of been 4055 to have the second half of the east coast livery

Tez

ModernRailways

Established Member
4045 must be due to have its advert stripped by now, its been on it 4 years

I was half expecting this to have the east coast livery on it and not 4038 as it had only recieved its

Thompsons livery at the begining of last year and 4084 had gained the Popcard livery in 2011 so i

personally think it should of been 4055 to have the second half of the east coast livery

Tez

4045 is likely going to be refurbished in the next few months so it would be pointless to repaint it.

The contract for the advert may be 5 years too! I'm surprised that 4045 and 4088 (Emirates) haven't been paired together. Would make for an interesting set!

Paul_10

Has 4088 been changed, it would make sense why i havent seen it in ages

Think he meant 4040/4083 as those are the two Emirates units and they were paired together at the launch and for quite a while after that last year.

tez thorn

Oh i get you now, my mistake

If 4045 is contracted 5 years, then it wont go until next year, making it one of the last units to be

refurbished, if it gets refurbished, as no one knows which two arent to be done, if anything you will be able

to tell whats not getting refurbished if a unit gains a advertisement at the end of this year early next, but

Also metro and nexus might have a cut off point for advertisements

ModernRailways

Established Member
Think he meant 4040/4083 as those are the two Emirates units and they were paired together at the launch and for quite a while after that last year.

I did indeed mean 4083 :oops:

Oh i get you now, my mistake

If 4045 is contracted 5 years, then it wont go until next year, making it one of the last units to be

refurbished, if it gets refurbished, as no one knows which two arent to be done, if anything you will be able

to tell whats not getting refurbished if a unit gains a advertisement at the end of this year early next, but

Also metro and nexus might have a cut off point for advertisements

It could be that Metro just can't be bothered to change the livery back. For all the Airport will have paid for a certain period, Metro might not think the cost of changing it back is worth it in the long term.

There are a few advertising liveries (mentioned earlier) that should likely have been removed by now but haven't.

tjohnson86

In regards to advert liveries, I'm sure the contract for the emirates unites expired a couple of months ago, but the livery remains the same. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see any more special liveries now the refurbishment is approaching its final year.

On another note, has the trial for the male announcer ended now? Been on 38 a couple of times these last couple of weeks and it's been the female voice I've heard, and 64 is at Doncaster now.

ModernRailways

Established Member
So in essence its greed and laziness haha thats nexus/metro for you

More likely that there are more important things that need done. People would only complain if the train was out of service which meant a train missing from the AM/PM peaks timetable.

In regards to advert liveries, I'm sure the contract for the emirates unites expired a couple of months ago, but the livery remains the same. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see any more special liveries now the refurbishment is approaching its final year.

On another note, has the trial for the male announcer ended now? Been on 38 a couple of times these last couple of weeks and it's been the female voice I've heard, and 64 is at Doncaster now.

Emirates expired in April, I have noticed the old advertising boards are back in place alongside some Emirates advertising (possibly replacing damaged/stolen ones with any random board?), but the exterior livery is the same, and it's likely to stay like that till it's refurbed now which was more than likely what was originally planned! Unless of course Emirates are paying extra?

Paul_10

There is no need to re-paint any units with adverts when the fleet is getting refurbished, so some adverts are definately out of date.

Regarding the trial about the male announcer, the male doors closing announcement is there but remember, if 4038 is trailing then the "doors closing" tone/announcements will be a female voice as all the sound will be coming from the leading set. And its vice versa if 4038 is leading as I was on 4084 and it was trailing and the "doors closing" announcement was a male voice, sadly 4038's announcements were switched off so there was no announcements made between stations.

More likely that there are more important things that need done. People would only complain if the train was out of service which meant a train missing from the AM/PM peaks timetable.

Emirates expired in April, I have noticed the old advertising boards are back in place alongside some Emirates advertising (possibly replacing damaged/stolen ones with any random board?), but the exterior livery is the same, and it's likely to stay like that till it's refurbed now which was more than likely what was originally planned! Unless of course Emirates are paying extra?

I heard it was a year regarding the contract, I suppose if there is a fleet order in which cars are being refurbished then 4040/4083 will be refurbished when its their turn to leave.

Does seem an (un)intentional trend of very few units with advert liveries being refurbished, the last one was 4075 I believe and that was at the end of 2012! At this rate, there be more ad liveries than red liveries!

Not sure when the refurbishment programme meant to finish, i think the original date was meant to be December 2014 but that looks unlikely however time is running out for the prototypes in terms of active service. :(

Established Member
The refurbishment is over half way now, so some point in the summer of 2015 will probably see the last ones going down.

In other news platform closures start again tonight (Monday) at Hebburn.

ModernRailways

Established Member
In other news platform closures start again tonight (Monday) at Hebburn.

With these platform closures will all trains use Platform 2?

I know at Jarrow that is very likely as during the day trains regularly switch platforms if their is a maintenance squad on one side of the line.

Established Member
With these platform closures will all trains use Platform 2?

I know at Jarrow that is very likely as during the day trains regularly switch platforms if their is a maintenance squad on one side of the line.

On a night time trains are normally timetabled to pass each other at Hebburn - usually the train going towards South Shields gets to platform 1 and has to wait for the Coast train to clear the points to allow access to the single line. Therefore, unless the timetable has been changed (which until yesterday it hadn't), trains will probably just wait in the platform and not open the doors.

Theoretically if the timetable has been altered, trains could run from Pelaw to Bede using platform 2 at both Hebburn and Jarrow (and when platform 2 is closed, using platform 1 only). Quite handy to have but it doesn't get used often which is a shame.

Paul_10

On a night time trains are normally timetabled to pass each other at Hebburn - usually the train going towards South Shields gets to platform 1 and has to wait for the Coast train to clear the points to allow access to the single line. Therefore, unless the timetable has been changed (which until yesterday it hadn't), trains will probably just wait in the platform and not open the doors.

Theoretically if the timetable has been altered, trains could run from Pelaw to Bede using platform 2 at both Hebburn and Jarrow (and when platform 2 is closed, using platform 1 only). Quite handy to have but it doesn't get used often which is a shame.

It makes you wonder why Nexus has never considered this to be honest, its probably a little tricky at Hebburn but surely some timetable alteration and this could be achieved and it would save quite a bit of hassle for passengers. I must admit though, the lack of passengers after 8 probably means its not worth the hassle of altering the timetable in Nexus's eys.

tez thorn

Im not too keen on the black colour scheme, it makes the stations look miserable, also does anyone know

when longbenton-cullercoats is being done excluding tynemouth.

Its is nice to see that walkergate is pretty much complete but, on the other hand its a shame north shields

isnt finished and that byker has been negleted.

On a seperate note, i was thinking the other day about that 4025 would of been the last green metrocar if

handnt been repainted red, never got why they did that

Regards

Tez

ModernRailways

Established Member
It makes you wonder why Nexus has never considered this to be honest, its probably a little tricky at Hebburn but surely some timetable alteration and this could be achieved and it would save quite a bit of hassle for passengers. I must admit though, the lack of passengers after 8 probably means its not worth the hassle of altering the timetable in Nexus's eys.

It wouldn't be too difficult to do. If you get the trains from South Shields-St James/Manors to leave Shields 4 minutes early, then the trains could meet at Pelaw instead and then the South Shields train would be on time. Trains would have to have a quick 3 minute turnaround at Shields but it wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Any passengers wanting to go to Shields after 2320 are stuck because they must go to Pelaw and back, and there are no more Metros then so there is no way to get to Shields on the last Metro, because the last bus will have left too.

I'm not too keen on the black colour scheme, it makes the stations look miserable, also does anyone know when Longbenton - Cullercoats is being done excluding Tynemouth.

It's is nice to see that walkergate is pretty much complete but, on the other hand its a shame North Shields isn't finished and that Byker has been neglected.

I quite like it, it looks smart and modern. It has a very corporate style too it though but I guess that's not a surprise.

North Shields is finished, it could do with some small changes though.

Paul_10

I don't like the station "refurbishments" personally myself, it does make the stations look dismal, if they actually did what they done to Howdon, Chillingham Road and Meadow Well then at least it will looks smarter but of course things went over budget with the North Shields project in particular and no its definitely not finished. The plan was to have those white tiles with "North Shields" printed on in the same style as Haymarket, instead there is just concrete walls with adverts scattered along(if i remember correctly) although I do like the concourse but that was never meant to be built from new anyways.

On a separate note, its good too see some proper lighting is being installed at Gateshead, the difference is very noticeable from the dull lighting to the very bright lighting although lets hope the job gets fully completed and not just half done.

4050 is also back in service after refurbishment.

Established Member

The signalling is there for it to be done, plus you could probably do a lot more work if the platform was closed say for a weekend instead of 8pm until start of service.

MetroCar4058

With the refurbishment programme past half way does anyone know what cuts have they made to the refurbs excluding the 4 cars that are not being refurbished and the lack of passenger counters above the doors and AC units? on the top of the newly delivered cars

tez thorn

To be honest, i think the novelty has worn off now with the refurbishment,

Metrocars seem to be taking less time now compared to when it first started 4009 being the shortest

4041,42,46,72 all seemed to be gone from 2010/11 until around March 2012, thats a year, now they are

Lucky if it peaks at 2 months, and as mentioned in a previous post, the quality seems shoddy and rushed

Regards

Tez

MetroCar4058

Yeah I agree, you can see the descent in quality from the first models to go off to Watbec and the latest to come back - I hate getting onto Nexus' back however 4057/52 pairing was WFS at South Gosforth and most times I see a train being took out of service it is a refurbished pair. I really don't like it when people point the finger at Nexus and particularly the front line staff who like I witnessed tonight frequently receive a barrage of profanities from people who cannot control their temper, after all it isn't their fault that they are stretched for rolling stock and that the trains are maybe a little too old to be pushing another 10 years out of them however they do not help themselves by overspending on projects and consequently having to reduce the quality of the modernization to compensate for this.

tez thorn

I think its terrible when passengers take it out on the staff,nexus are to blame to a certain extent, i like

Haymarket but that blew a massive hole in the budget, and as for meadow well i dont know why that got

Refurbished, but like you said the metrocar refurbishment has to suffer cus of it, but like ive mentioned

before, the cars that need it are the ones that are being stretched and still arent going, and im still puzzled

by 4087 not going, there just seems to be no logic

Paul_10

I think its terrible when passengers take it out on the staff,nexus are to blame to a certain extent, i like

Haymarket but that blew a massive hole in the budget, and as for meadow well i dont know why that got

Refurbished, but like you said the metrocar refurbishment has to suffer cus of it, but like ive mentioned

before, the cars that need it are the ones that are being stretched and still arent going, and im still puzzled

by 4087 not going, there just seems to be no logic

Haymarket was completely separate funding to the modernisation programe funding and for the station itself, I believe it cost around £7 million whereas the huge office blocks etc was paid for by external sources.

I also don't see any difference in quality between the first units and the more recently refurbished units, they all look the same too me unless I am missing something?

And how do you know which cars should go and which ones shouldnt go yet? I've no idea if the order is random or there is a set order but only the people at the Depot will ever know for sure and 4087 may still get refurbished. Not sure why your obsessed over it not going, I see nothing wrong with it from what I can see.

tez thorn

Obsessed with it,no i dont think i am,so your wrong there, i am not the only person that has realised a difference

So dont know why you single me out,yeah im no expert,but neither are you, but other people may or may

Not agree that there are cars that appear to need it more than some of the ones that have already gone,

My point with my so called obsession with 4087 is this

4044 sent mainly cus of flood damage and left in 2013

4087 which was coupled to it,out of service for many months and merely received a repaint on 'A' end

4086,4052 fire damaged sent pretty much instantly

So no it isnt obsession, its fact

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Haymarket was completely separate funding to the modernisation programe funding and for the station itself, I believe it cost around £7 million whereas the huge office blocks etc was paid for by external sources.

I also don't see any difference in quality between the first units and the more recently refurbished units, they all look the same too me unless I am missing something?

Haymarket was entirely funded by an outside developer IIRC. I'm sure Nexus_Comms posted about it on the SkyscraperCity forums.

I've noticed one significant difference, the newer refurbishments seem to be getting really warm during these hot days - possibly got the heating on since at night they have it on.

A few other changes I've noticed:
- Passenger Counters.
- No air con for drivers.
- B end running means drivers can't do maximum speed thus delaying the service (B end running must be common then :lol:).
- Old fire extinguishers along with old fire extinguisher covers.
- Light fittings not being done properly (I think I mentioned earlier about them falling down).
- Seat cushions have already lost their nice 'pssh' sound when you sit down and are flat and uncomfortable.
- A general poor/cheap/rushed feeling to them.

I'm sure I could add more to it.

As a small side note, I've grown used to the door closing screech and I only have a problem with it when you're standing near the doors. Otherwise it's alright now after what seems like a good year+!

4087 which was coupled to it,out of service for many months and merely received a repaint on 'A' end

4086,4052 fire damaged sent pretty much instantly

4087 received more than just a repaint, it had a full inspection as well as having new parts fitted and rigorous testing!

4086 and 4052 were likely going to be going down anyway, and it just so happens that they were involved in that incident. I doubt Nexus/DB would be able to change the order in which trains go down even though in essence it's just a number each train does have differences because of what their reliability has been like.

Last edited:

Established Member

It doesn't matter if the two cars have been coupled as a set for a while or not - as I've said previously the cars will be chosen on a number of factors including mileage for exams.

ModernRailways said:
I've noticed one significant difference, the newer refurbishments seem to be getting really warm during these hot days - possibly got the heating on since at night they have it on.

The heating is turned off for the summer now on the vast majority of the cars. On a couple of cars the heating is still on, probably due to a problem with the waste heat extractors from the traction motors. Very little a driver can do, as they cannot control the temperature.

ModernRailways said:
B end running means drivers can't do maximum speed thus delaying the service (B end running must be common then)

Not sure where you've heard that but you can still drive at 80 kmh from a B end. There is very little difference between the A and B ends driving wise, but none of this affects the operation of the set.

Paul_10 said:

A lot of the differences are not visible, so passengers will not notice. The visible ones have just about all been mentioned - the HVAC units are not being installed on the A end cabs, passenger counters above the doors (according to Nexus this was only for the first few cars going anyway). Fire extinguishers are replaced on a separate programme and have to be checked before a train can enter service anyway. Light fixtures are exactly the same across the fleet, as are just about all the rest of the fittings including seats. These are only quite small changes compared to the rest of the work that is done.

ModernRailways

Established Member
The heating is turned off for the summer now on the vast majority of the cars. On a couple of cars the heating is still on, probably due to a problem with the waste heat extractors from the traction motors. Very little a driver can do, as they cannot control the temperature.

That's one of the problems I reckon. Drivers can't change the temperature and so when it's a relatively cold morning or going to be a cold night the heating seems to be on all the time because the train won't be able to go back to the depot to have it altered.

Not sure where you've heard that but you can still drive at 80 kmh from a B end. There is very little difference between the A and B ends driving wise, but none of this affects the operation of the set.

I thought that was the case, but according to one of the drivers she said 'I'm sorry for the delay to this train this morning but the depot staff turned this train around and so we are driving from the B end meaning we have to run at a reduced speed.' Now either they were lying and there was another fault or it was simply an excuse for the late running as I thought we were doing normal speed.

MetroCar4058

On a different note, the quality of the new announcements is a league of its own, they should never have been put to the public in the current form, firstly I find the man very irritating and false and he really doesn't flow at all 'next station is Fawdon' for example, it then gets worse when it says 'next station is Fawdon, please take extra care when using the level crossing' which is then repeated 3 times for Fawdon alone, and by the time I reached my station towards Airport with all of those level crossings and that repeated 9 times! I felt like I couldn't bare to sit though that again - 4084 one to avoid at the moment

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.