• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
The only way I could think of it working is where the line would be doubled but when the Jarrow tanks come into play towards Pelaw Metro would go back to it's current single line state until the Jarrow tanks are clear. So for the most part trains would run on both lines but the Jarrow tanks come out and use the line they currently do, Metro would then go back to it's current single line operation - the tanks would operate on the wrong side just as they do now. Metro would only be single line sections for about 5 minutes, and then once the tanks are passed trains can go back to double line running. The only place where it could be longer is at Pelaw junction, but it could be a case of ensuring it gets straight into the 'Down' loop that's currently rusted over. Or perhaps a new loop somewhere near Pelaw Junction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tjohnson86

Can't be 100% certain as I only briefly glimpsed it this afternoon, but 4083 appears to have received revised advert vinyls for Emirates.

Can confirm this is indeed the case, as I did see the revised livery paired with 4012 on Wednesday. Not sure if 4040 has received the same treatment. This is possibly a clue that 4083 could indeed be one of the metrocars not to be refurbished, and also suggests a renewal of the contract with Emirates.

tez thorn

Just seen a picture of 4083's incident with a bus, it looked pretty bad, also seen that 4037 had an accident

with a car,so you sir have solved the 3rd metrocar not going for refurb

Paul_10

Just seen a picture of 4083's incident with a bus, it also seen that 4037 had an accident with a car,

When was that like? Never seen anything on the web before involving that metrocar but there has been numerous incidents with metrocars hitting cars and of course the close misses. You got any photos and was it a serious incident?

The only ones I'm aware of is 4089 hitting a van last year at Callerton and I believe 4023 was involved in a similar incident quite a number of years ago.

I also don't believe that a unit won't be refurbished just because some vinyls have changed but it does suggest that if the Emirates cars are to be refurbished then they will be one of the last ones.

Tramfan

Can confirm this is indeed the case, as I did see the revised livery paired with 4012 on Wednesday. Not sure if 4040 has received the same treatment. This is possibly a clue that 4083 could indeed be one of the metrocars not to be refurbished, and also suggests a renewal of the contract with Emirates.

4040 has been out in the old version this week, but is now in the paint shop presumably receiving the updated livery.

tez thorn

4083 colided with a double decker bus in its early days,wiped the bus out totally,no idea of the severity

Of its front end but some of it would of been taken away in its mid life refurbisment, search on google you

Will find it,you have to look hard though

MetroCar4058

Very sad news of a Metro engineer dying near the Regent Depot today after falling from ladders, my thoughts are with his family and friends at this tough time.

MetroCar4058

I don't know if this is just me but lately I have notice that the doors on the older refurbs are taking some time to disarm after stopping, originally I thought it was just the driver but it seems to be the same for a few of the older refurbs, has anyone else noticed this?

tjohnson86

Can't say Ive noticed that, but I have noticed that the lighting doesn't seem as bright on the older refurbs now in comparison to the new ones.

On another note, 4051 and 4047 are now in passenger service and paired together. Refurbs seen to be entering sevice at a much quicker rate now and the refurbishment programme feels as if it's on course to be complete by this time next year

tez thorn

I have to agree with you there,and best part is its only mid july and they are upto 60 already,unless its 61

now,because me and another member thought it was 4047 that came back and the one that went was 4028

so was it 4051 or 4047

Cheers

Tez

Tramfan

If my notes are correct 4047 returned when 4028 went down and 4051 was returned when 4088 went down (4088 being the 61st car to go down for refurbishment)

4040 is now also definitely in the new version of the Emirates livery and was briefly paired with 4083 this week, although 4083 is now back with 4012 again.

ModernRailways

Established Member
It's not "stand clear of the doors please" but...

Nexus_CW_Door_Tone_Female

Nope, it was 'Uhhhhh' then 'Uhhh, Stand Clear of the doors please' till around 2004 then 'Doors Closing' (female) and 'Doors Closing' (Male) till around 2010 and then 'Doors Closing' (female 2, current unrefurbed), and finally our current 'beep beep beep beep etc.'

We also have that annoying male on 4038.

tez thorn

Am i right in thinking there wasnt even 'stand clear of the doors please' when metro first started

Established Member
Am i right in thinking there wasnt even 'stand clear of the doors please' when metro first started

It was added later on. The original 'Nerrr' or however you want to write it was there but that's about it.

From time to time, if the door tones are faulty, drivers have to manually announce 'Doors closing' or similar, which sounds strange.

ModernRailways

Established Member

Indeed, we just had a loud buzz, which preceded the stand clear of the doors announcement. See my previous post about what we have had so far

it was 'Uhhhhh' then 'Uhhh, Stand Clear of the doors please' till around 2004 then 'Doors Closing' (female) and 'Doors Closing' (Male) till around 2010 and then 'Doors Closing' (female 2, current unrefurbed), and finally our current 'beep beep beep beep etc.'

tez thorn

Sorry,breif change in subject, just been informed that 4064 is back and 4037 left bringing the total now to

62, i have added it to the list which can be found on page 5 of this thread

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

I really am no fan of the T&W Tramway which it is looking to become, I see no issue on having separate tram alignments, although I see them as costly and having little advantages over buses if they are sharing the roads however if they plan to extend to Washington using tram alignments and thus forth replacing our trains with trams I will be horrified and subsequently not use the system as it will in my eyes get rid of Metros advantage over the buses, not being effected by traffic or any events that occur on the roads. I understand the finance isn't there for us up North to get lots of new tunnels and trackbed, but surely a strong core of track network is better than a downgrade to a tram line?

markydh

The existing network will remain as it is. Yes, the replacement metros *may* be tramesque but they will still be running on the same lines! What a very odd and somewhat confused and pointless rant :\

MetroCar4058

Forgive me if I am wrong but some of the Washington extension is expected to be on street hence forth it could interfere with the green line :p

AutoKratz

Nexus have yet to decide on future rolling stock. They suggested at City Futures a month or so ago that there may be a dual fleet with one capable of on-street running and another similar to today's Metrocars for segregated infrastructure - or a single fleet capable of both (which in effect downgrades the core network a la Metrolink). Overall though they would like new stock to be state-of-the-art with the latest features, much like the current Metrocars were highly advanced when they were introduced.

tez thorn

Its a long way off anyway, nexus predict the current fleet will last til 2030 supposedly, im not too worried

about it if im honest, nexus are known for changing their minds

Established Member
These trains will not be lasting the next ten years. In all reality, they are not lasting very long the minute.

Tbrown1980

Hi all,

I have noticed that the website; http://www.thetrams.co.uk/tyneandwear/trains/ used to keep a list of the Metro fleet.

As a suggestion, could we combine what knowledge of what Metros are Refurbished and which ones are older rolling stock onto this list on The Trams website?

Let me know your thoughts

Last edited:

Paul_10

These trains will not be lasting the next ten years. In all reality, they are not lasting very long the minute.

Maybe not but lets be honest, most faults can be quickly fixed within the depot and despite all the moans on facebook, 90%(random high figure) of passengers who travel on the metro won't encounter any problems on the train they are on in a 1 month period.

Yes I am aware there are more trains withdrawn from service than the facebook page suggests but with decent maintenance then they should be okay for however long they are needed for.

I actually heard talk there could be yet another refurbishment for these units if for whatever funding is not required for a new fleet of trains/trams although obviously this is the last resort option.

Status
Not open for further replies.