• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Nice experience with a Metro ticket officer at Monument today. His attitude was actually shocking, something I would never expect from anyone. His attitude and the fact he snatched the ticket out of my hand, all because the ticket barrier scrunched and broke the magnetic strip of my ticket. I'll be contacting Nexus House tomorrow to report the incident - If I'm honest, I really have lost a lot of faith after today.

It is a huge shame and when I told the ticket officer at Gateshead he was shocked and very sympathetic/helpful. People like him are really let down by the minority who victimize passengers because they've got the 'Metro Badge' :(

Had a similar problem at Monument. I couldn't touch in at Jarrow because the readers both said my card couldn't be read. Arrived at Monument and I obviously couldn't touch out, so I went over explained and the guy stood there for 5 minutes giving me a lecture on how I must touch in and next time I'll be issued a fine for not having a valid ticket even though it is valid. I replied saying It's either valid or it isn't. It can't be both. He just said 'Be glad I'm not issuing you a fine, on your way.' and opened the barrier.

I'd like to see Nexus try and get someone for not touching in, even when it can be seen they have a valid pass loaded onto the Pop Card. Would be interesting to see the outcome or whether it would potentially go to court - I can't imagine Nexus would win in that situation as it can be seen a valid ticket is there, but the person either forgot to touch in, or a problem with the readers/card meant they couldn't.

Pay As You Go is obviously where the clamp down will be, but for people with Annual passes etc. that can be read on the CSAs phones then there is no reason for a PF to be issued.

Edit to add* It seems to me like there are some staff who think they have loads of authority because they have a badge and want to look big and scary. Hopefully, one day someone will complain and those staff will be dealt with. I've already noticed a significant amount of staff no longer standing playing on their phones so maybe someone somewhere does actually give a sh**.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Had a similar problem at Monument. I couldn't touch in at Jarrow because the readers both said my card couldn't be read. Arrived at Monument and I obviously couldn't touch out, so I went over explained and the guy stood there for 5 minutes giving me a lecture on how I must touch in and next time I'll be issued a fine for not having a valid ticket even though it is valid. I replied saying It's either valid or it isn't. It can't be both. He just said 'Be glad I'm not issuing you a fine, on your way.' and opened the barrier.

I'd like to see Nexus try and get someone for not touching in, even when it can be seen they have a valid pass loaded onto the Pop Card. Would be interesting to see the outcome or whether it would potentially go to court - I can't imagine Nexus would win in that situation as it can be seen a valid ticket is there, but the person either forgot to touch in, or a problem with the readers/card meant they couldn't.

Pay As You Go is obviously where the clamp down will be, but for people with Annual passes etc. that can be read on the CSAs phones then there is no reason for a PF to be issued.

Edit to add* It seems to me like there are some staff who think they have loads of authority because they have a badge and want to look big and scary. Hopefully, one day someone will complain and those staff will be dealt with. I've already noticed a significant amount of staff no longer standing playing on their phones so maybe someone somewhere does actually give a sh**.

I'm so disgusted by todays incident that I will be ringing Nexus House at 9AM tomorrow morning! Even the staff at Gateshead were shocked at his actions. I think it doesn't help with age either - they really do react differently to younger people - Nevermind. 99% of the Metro staff are friendly and nice to talk to if you ever have a problem, there is just always that one fool!

ModernRailways

Established Member
I'm so disgusted by todays incident that I will be ringing Nexus House at 9AM tomorrow morning! Even the staff at Gateshead were shocked at his actions. I think it doesn't help with age either - they really do react differently to younger people - Nevermind. 99% of the Metro staff are friendly and nice to talk to if you ever have a problem, there is just always that one fool!

Can you PM me with roughly what he looked like, I'm thinking it might be the same guy, because when I had the problem I went over. He took my pass from me (snatched) then used his phone to check it and then started saying 'Look here, it's a smartcard. It says you didn't touch in.' I didn't know what to say other than yes, because like I said I couldn't touch in. He started shouting again about how it wasn't valid because I didn't touch in, but did have a valid ticket loaded on it.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Metro staff are considering strike action on the Sunderland Air Show weekend.

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Good old Metro strike! It probably won't happen, I mean we always get a strike arranged for a concert or a big event - Best time for maximum impact.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/metro-among-best-modern-structures-north-east Great to see Metro got recognized for being the big player it is in the heart of T&W. Not surprising that Monument handles 1/4 of Metros overall patronage.

Whenever I go between St James - Manors, I always get a feeling that the network is incomplete. Both St James and Manors scream out that there should be an extended underground operation towards the West End, with St James through its design displaying signs that it wasn't meant to be the terminus - If only the money and the willing existed to take up such a huge project.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Good old Metro strike! It probably won't happen, I mean we always get a strike arranged for a concert or a big event - Best time for maximum impact.

I think this may happen. Staff morale is at it's lowest, and that is part of the reason for the strike ballot.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I wonder why it is so low - it's a shame really :(

DB not listening to the staff, customer abuse. Understaffed, tremendously understaffed. Pop systems not working and just causing general issues.

That's not the main reasons. Can't go into them on a public forum at the minute. You'll likely find out in due course though.

Established Member
ASLEF union have been ballotted for strike action, the first of which will take place on 15th July. Note you get ballotted for action but the union picks the date. Reason for the strike is pay talks have broken down.

Tommy1581

Anyone know the mystery with 4001/4083, 4083 has been spotted
with its pantograph down and at that time it was on its own however 4001 is now paired with it but with its pantograph up and the saloon lights on(you can see the destination on) yet they both have been in the same stabling road all this week.

As for trains running early then is this really often? In all honesty, I have no idea on the exact times trains are suppose to depart and I doubt many passengers do either plus with the frequency then for me its not a massive issue.

The trains running early through Jarrow is interesting, I think one reason why a South Shields train may run early is because if a St James's train which is meant to pass the Shields train at Pelaw junction is not running on time, then the South Shields train will not have to stop at the signal before it goes onto the single line towards Hebburn therefore it will be starting to run slightly ahead of schedule so if it leaves Hebburn slightly earlier because of the St James train is running slightly late then it will obviously arrive into Jarrow earlier therefore even if the next St James train is on time, then the South Shields train usually get another green signal without any hold up at Jarrow which means the train could be running even earlier.

Just an observation and its not one that will be liked by Metrocar4058 but that male PA looks like it could be rolling out now, both 4056 and 4032 has got the male PA now and both are paired together at the moment.

4083 has received a revised advert for Emirates.

Paul_10

Really? Looked the same when I went past it last week?

In terms of the strike action, then it will be interesting if there will be a back up plan if the staff do strike on the date of the Sunderland airshow. Unfortunately for the staff though, they are unlikely to get any sympathy from the general public if they do strike on that date and will be seen as ££££ in many eyes of the general public.

tjohnson86

Is this not 4082? 4082 received the new vinyls a few weeks back but if 83 has also received them then that is very strange as this metrocar now spends most of its time sitting in the depot doing nothing, and when all refurbs are back in service (which I imagine will be happening in the next few weeks) 4083 will be used sparingly if not at all.

On another note, is there a chance 4027 may receive a special livery I commemorate the end of the refurbishment?

Established Member
Really? Looked the same when I went past it last week?

In terms of the strike action, then it will be interesting if there will be a back up plan if the staff do strike on the date of the Sunderland airshow. Unfortunately for the staff though, they are unlikely to get any sympathy from the general public if they do strike on that date and will be seen as ££££ in many eyes of the general public.

If drivers go on strike then the whole system shuts down. No bus replacement as it would cost too much and buses will probably already be in use. Unfortunately a strike will be timed for maximum impact. No point doing it on a normal Sunday when fewer people would be affected.

MetroCar4058

Well a bus replacement would be breaking the strike; would it not?

The male PA is everywhere! 4068 now has it :( Oh I'll miss our lady. I'm gonna send a request off to get a copy of her. Does anyone know where the signals failed tonight during the storm?

I feel like I'm forever contacting Nexus. I'm a bit apprehensive to contact as door B3 on 4059 has a broken push to open button and I want a copy of the PA - I'll be getting into their bad books.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Well a bus replacement would be breaking the strike; would it not?

The male PA is everywhere! 4068 now has it :( Oh I'll miss our lady. I'm gonna send a request off to get a copy of her. Does anyone know where the signals failed tonight during the storm?

I feel like I'm forever contacting Nexus. I'm a bit apprehensive to contact as door B3 on 4059 has a broken push to open button and I want a copy of the PA - I'll be getting into their bad books.

Yes, replacement buses would be seen as strike breaking and I believe is against the law. Strengthening other bus services is however fine.

Yeah, I believe he is being rolled out fleet wide now, should be completed with 4027's arrival.

Signals were struck by lightning in the Benton area.

hacman

Anyone know what these "Coming soon" ads are all about?

11692776_1001575936528311_8553449733493713761_n.jpg

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Not too sure myself. But I must admit Metro opened themselves up to some funny comments with that one. The best one I've seen so far is 'Coming soon... Low rail adhesion' ahah!

HugePilchard

I wonder if it's the PAYG Pop cards? I saw mention that yesterday's ticket machine issues were related to a software change - perhaps that was in the name of PAYG Pop rollout to the masses?

I could be really wide of the mark, of course.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I wonder if it's the PAYG Pop cards? I saw mention that yesterday's ticket machine issues were related to a software change - perhaps that was in the name of PAYG Pop rollout to the masses?

I could be really wide of the mark, of course.

You're not off the mark ;) Pop PAYG is in it's final stages of trial now and will be launched by Autumn (I'm saying that, but this is Nexus/Metro so who knows what will go wrong :p). PAYG cards will cost £5 but will offer reduced fares over a paper ticket - not 100% sure what those prices will be yet.

I'm not sure what is 'coming soon'. But I believe it is a Metro app, as well as Pop full rollout. These posters have been up for a few weeks now, possibly even 2 months, in South Gosforth staffroom.

On another note, (almost) all Metrocars should now have the Male announcements.

Scott M

You're not off the mark ;) Pop PAYG is in it's final stages of trial now and will be launched by Autumn (I'm saying that, but this is Nexus/Metro so who knows what will go wrong :p). PAYG cards will cost £5 but will offer reduced fares over a paper ticket - not 100% sure what those prices will be yet.

I'm not sure what is 'coming soon'. But I believe it is a Metro app, as well as Pop full rollout. These posters have been up for a few weeks now, possibly even 2 months, in South Gosforth staffroom.

On another note, (almost) all Metrocars should now have the Male announcements.

Why have they replaced the female? :cry:

MetroCar4058

Why have they replaced the female? :cry:

The question on my lips! He isn't as bad as I sometimes say (bullet bitten) but he is very quite due to his tone. Obviously this isn't a fair test as each unit has the PA sounds set at different levels. But it does seem that's units with him on tend to have it turned down ;)

Scott M

The question on my lips! He isn't as bad as I sometimes say (bullet bitten) but he is very quite due to his tone. Obviously this isn't a fair test as each unit has the PA sounds set at different levels. But it does seem that's units with him on tend to have it turned down ;)

At least the main thing I dislike about him won't be too much of an issue - that being how he says doors closing. Just sounds far too happy for my liking. '...DOORS CLOSING! :D'

But the refurbs have the beep-beep-beep anyway. :)

ModernRailways

Established Member

My main issue is 'Central'. No it's not Central, it's Central Station. This needs fixing ASAP, I witnessed the first lot of tourists asking today if it was indeed the correct stop. They were checking the map and saw we were at Gateshead and said they needed the next stop. Then leaving Gateshead he said next station Central and they ended up asking if it was the same station.

My other gripe is they still haven't sorted the South Gosforth announcements out. Approaching Gosforth it says 'Change for trains to St James Via The Coast (or Airport)'. Why doesn't it do what it does at Pelaw and also announce the trains ultimate destination. So the announcement should be 'Next station, South Gosforth. Change here for trains to St James Via The Coast. This train is for all stations to Airport.' OR 'Next station, South Gosforth. Change for trains to St James Via The Coast. This train is for Regent Centre/Airport.'

At least the main thing I dislike about him won't be too much of an issue - that being how he says doors closing. Just sounds far too happy for my liking. '...DOORS CLOSING! :D'

But the refurbs have the beep-beep-beep anyway. :)

You shouldn't hear 'Doors Closing' unless the driver pushes the button to play it. Some units have the button blocked over now, but the majority don't so you may here it every now and then.

QANN93

Over the last week or so I've noticed a lot of the new refurbs playing the old "doors closing" tone, is there any reason for this, I overheard a instructor discussing a trainee to use it to give extra warning

ModernRailways

Established Member
Over the last week or so I've noticed a lot of the new refurbs playing the old "doors closing" tone, is there any reason for this, I overheard a instructor discussing a trainee to use it to give extra warning

Strange? It can still be used as a hustle alarm. The beeps are for the doors actually closing, playing 'Doors Closing' however can make people hurry to board so possibly get faster boarding.

Telling a trainee to use it though is bad practice. It shouldn't be used in regular service. Only time I can see it being useful is on busy days, so match days and general events where there is a sudden surge into the system.

Last edited:

Established Member
Well, you do need training on everything on the train, including the buttons.

Using the old door tones on a refurbished set doesn't happen very often, but does have its uses.

TheHovisKid

It's a button, it's not something they should need trained on using... They aren't meant to use it anymore, hence why it was covered over in some of the refurbs.

I misread "They aren't meant to use it anymore, hence why it was removed over in all of the refurbs

If it's there, it needs explaining about to people driving them.

MetroCar4058

In my eyes I do see how passengers get frustrated with Nexus for wasting so much money on unneeded things such as these adverts, Metro Ken who we can only presume has been retired and the new PA - I agree this money should have been invested in refurbishing, not just painting some of the smaller stations.

I must admit the new PA isn't all awful. My biggest niggles are 'Central' and the reduced Monument announcement which lacks the platforms and has too many 'ands' in it. Furthermore I'm not a fan of St James via Whitley Bay ;) Unfortunately Metro refused to give me a copy of the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.