• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpick

There's a photo on Flickr from a group visit to the depot which shows what Hacman is describing although at the time of the photo it was just one section that has been removed rather than the whole unit(although that could be the case right now). Be interresting too see what will happen to this unit although did the prototypes received any similar treatment before getting the fleet livery?

If 4022 is at Webtec then what was the reason it went down to Bristol?

As for the upgrades behind the scenes and what us showing on the boards then I do agree that having Whitley Bay abbreviated seems unnessary but it's no real difference to what is present as I believe "This train is for the Coast(via Newcastle) ends at Whitley Bay where it then says This train is for St James and vice versa for the opposite direction. I suppose the idea is to stop passengers going all the way round the coast to get to Wallsend for example when there is a quicker way via Monument P3 but abbreviating it does not look professional.

Apparently the boards at Monument P3 now show when the next train is due. Is this true?
They do, they show trains before they've even terminated now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
39930123_10214480450423137_6054488738585640960_n.jpg

Here's the latest on 4022. Not my photo. I do believe Nexus is still trying to wrangle more from DB. It isn't going to be scrapped, not any time soon anyway. It's amazing how people will simply believe the word of one person and spread it around like it's true.

I'm not fully sure on what's happening with 4040 but I believe it's in for a heavy overhaul and is having some bodywork done hence the photo circulating with it's body panels off.

DanNCL

Established Member
Seen it mentioned elsewhere that a few metrocars have been withdrawn and are stored at Gosforth. Is there any truth in this, and if so, does anyone know which metrocars?

NewcastleOne

63AFDB36-6935-4B94-B82D-D325F5A72252.jpeg
Hopefully it is - they could do with as many units operational as they can get at the minute.

4040 seems to have been used more intensively than the other three of the unrefurbished units (although that's not been the case this year), so that's possibly something to do with it too?

I'm not sure about an in-house refurbishment personally - I'm surprised that'd be economical considering they've only got a few years left.

From Metros Twitter

Paul_10

Bit disappointed there was no answer to what was happening although one is assuming it's getting corrosion repairs and it will eventually be restored into the fleet livery. Whether any refurbishment takes place is another matter of course. One theory could be the same will happen to 4083 next and this could lead to a semi retirement of the prototypes? Either way be interesting what will happen to this unit eventually.

Established Member
I believe it may be a new overhaul, I'm sure I remember hearing a G exam being carried out to prolong the life of the remaining cars if the timescales for the new fleet slipped.

Paul_10

I believe it may be a new overhaul, I'm sure I remember hearing a G exam being carried out to prolong the life of the remaining cars if the timescales for the new fleet slipped.

Were you aware if 4001 and 4002 received this G exam whilst out of service for so long? From what I remembered from your posts it seems this was not the case?

Another question, I thought there was no overhead lines in the heavy lifting shop as the trains gets jacked up so how come 4040 has traction power on in that photo with the saloon lights and destination blinds on? Or am I wrong and it does have a overhead line?

Crimzz

Another question, I thought there was no overhead lines in the heavy lifting shop as the trains gets jacked up so how come 4040 has traction power on in that photo with the saloon lights and destination blinds on? Or am I wrong and it does have a overhead line?

If I remember correctly the heavy lifting workshop does not have overhead, Only thing I can think of is it has a external power system for testing the electrics.

Established Member
Were you aware if 4001 and 4002 received this G exam whilst out of service for so long? From what I remembered from your posts it seems this was not the case?

No don't believe 4001/02 had anything equivalent to the G exam, certainly no bodyside work.

No wires in the lifting shop or paint shop, but there will be shore supplies to power the low voltage things on the cars, which would explain the lighting working.

MetroCar4058

Interesting that CHI P2 will be closed for several months; can see some very angry punters and media backlash from that one. I do wonder what the actual technical constraints linked to the signalling system are.

danpick

Interesting that CHI P2 will be closed for several months; can see some very angry punters and media backlash from that one. I do wonder what the actual technical constraints linked to the signalling system are.
The new Interchange is will be on the current Platform 2 track, so presumably they require line-side access on this track so trains will use Platform 1 track both ways.

MetroCar4058

The new Interchange is will be on the current Platform 2 track, so presumably they require line-side access on this track so trains will use Platform 1 track both ways.

This can’t be the case as the train would then need to run along P1 wrongside all the way to Bede and the signalling system isn’t designed to allow for that.

I speculate it’s because the signal at the end of CHI P2 will be the one protecting the block between CHI P1 and Shields as the other signals will be decommissioned and modified for the new station, consequently stopping would lead to disruption of the service due to the 4m30s turnaround?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Silly question, but is 4002 still floating around (on mainly the peak time extras) or has it broken down again?

[Just to save me wasting time at South Gosforth to see if it gets thrown out as a peak time extra if it's currently in pieces being repaired]

DanNCL

Established Member
Silly question, but is 4002 still floating around (on mainly the peak time extras) or has it broken down again?

[Just to save me wasting time at South Gosforth to see if it gets thrown out as a peak time extra if it's currently in pieces being repaired]
I haven't seen it in service since early August - 4001 and 4083 are the current unrefurbished pair in service, but I've not seen them for at least a week either.

Crimzz

4002 + 4055 have been working on the RHTT

Crimzz

Thanks

At least it isn't broken like it was the last time, but I know not to waste time sitting at South Gosforth to see it popping out on a peak time extra :)

Then again I've just seen the RHTT today and it's not on it.

I'm guessing it's been taken off it since I last seen it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I haven't seen it in service since early August - 4001 and 4083 are the current unrefurbished pair in service, but I've not seen them for at least a week either.

4083 & 4001 were floating around this morning on one of the last northbound peak time extras, so assuming 4040 is still in pieces I suspect 4002 won't be out later :( (unless 083/001 gets split up at the depot during the day)

jkkne

Not sure where to put this so apologies, I've noticed lately that at the pedestrian crossing just pass Hebburn (Pelaw bound) that Trains which previously gave a toot and sailed through are now pretty much crawling to a halt before the crossing. I know the line doubles up again there but has something happened lately (well probably since the Summer) which has given drivers instructions to slow down?

Crimzz

Not sure where to put this so apologies, I've noticed lately that at the pedestrian crossing just pass Hebburn (Pelaw bound) that Trains which previously gave a toot and sailed through are now pretty much crawling to a halt before the crossing. I know the line doubles up again there but has something happened lately (well probably since the Summer) which has given drivers instructions to slow down?

Prior to the crossing there is a signal for the points ahead, With the work being done between Chichester and South Shields a slight timetable alteration has been done so it might just be crawling towards the signal awaiting the South Shields bound service to pass.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Metro to get an extra £900,000 in funding to prevent passenger delays

There will be new additional breakdown equipment, cab refurbishment, isolation equipment, new power supply logs, renewal of 50% of switches in the battery cars, and five new fixed term maintenance staff.

Might it possibly be due to the new housing estate being built next to it? Last time I went past there I noticed there was new fencing in place, and guardrails/crash barriers.

jkkne

Might it possibly be due to the new housing estate being built next to it? Last time I went past there I noticed there was new fencing in place, and guardrails/crash barriers.

Never considered that, Miller are working on that site at quite a pace.

Dismal week and a bit for the old Metro. LRA as ever causing understandable issues along with today’s high winds.

Lots of train failures, trips, signalling failures and the intermittent failure of the information boards all creating a perfect storm.

Favourite announcement tonight was - delays to services, not to timetable. Due to failure of information boards...check timetable

On a plus, I’ve remembered how much I hate buses

Paul_10

Been down to South Shields today since the line closure and its interesting to note some of the signals being converted to the LED type, it looks like one of them was just the signal head replaced so the signal pole was the same and it looked a bit ugly it has to be said whilst the other signal just before the new junction onto the single track looked like a completely new signal with the old one in a similar position taken out. I also think the signal after Shields station has been taken out but no replacement fitted as of yet, I assume one will be fitted when the new station is nearly ready to be used.

I did not travel back the other way but the speed restriction was not as low as I thought so why are trains not stopping at Chichester P2? I thought the reason would be because of the speed restriction therefore causing delays which has an impact on the service where we get to the single tracks around Hebburn and Jarrow but surely less of a turn around time at Shields would compensate for this?

NewcastleOne

Been down to South Shields today since the line closure and its interesting to note some of the signals being converted to the LED type, it looks like one of them was just the signal head replaced so the signal pole was the same and it looked a bit ugly it has to be said whilst the other signal just before the new junction onto the single track looked like a completely new signal with the old one in a similar position taken out. I also think the signal after Shields station has been taken out but no replacement fitted as of yet, I assume one will be fitted when the new station is nearly ready to be used.

I did not travel back the other way but the speed restriction was not as low as I thought so why are trains not stopping at Chichester P2? I thought the reason would be because of the speed restriction therefore causing delays which has an impact on the service where we get to the single tracks around Hebburn and Jarrow but surely less of a turn around time at Shields would compensate for this?
Trains are not stopping at Chichester P2 due to signal restrictions caused by the South Shields Interchange Project

Paul_10

Trains are not stopping at Chichester P2 due to signal restrictions caused by the South Shields Interchange Project

But what are the signal restrictions though seeing in normal circumstances(and if service runs smoothly) then only one train occupies between Tyne Dock and South Shields in both directions so as a complete novice, I don't see why trains can't stop at Chichester?

On a side note, it will be interesting how they will manage the GNR crowds at the new station as the old station was in a perfect location to form 2 long ques all the way down King Street but obviously this can't be the case with the new station, should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.