• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

GardenRail

The mass public consultation did ask about your views on the 3 types of seating arrangements mentioned above.
Whilst I wouldn't normally advocate sideways seating, after my visit to North Shields yesterday, it may be a good thing. It'll stop the horrible, black hoody, grey joggers youth using the adjacent seats as a foot rest. Bring it on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snex

Just to touch on the subject of having every station gate lined and manned.

You'd need three staff at every station (to make sure that there are always two working if one is on a break), so this is 3x60=180
You’d need at least three shifts so 3x180 = 540.
Now each CSA earns about £26,000 (actually a little more)
So 540 times £26k is about £14m.
That £14m doesn’t take into account the fact that you’d need more ancillary staff to support that massive growth in CSA numbers;
More managers, more HR, more Payroll etc etc etc.
Let’s not forget the actual cost of the ticket barriers themselves, which I would imagine would dwarf the staff costs, each single unit being extremely expensive. You’d also need to factor in building some form of break room at any station where staff are expected to man a gate line. The costs are rising again…
also, all the CSAs are entitled to catch the last train home, so I’m not sure how you’d keep the stations manned then.

How much would you be expecting to make from tickets if this was the plan?

Even known there's the cost element, one thing that's ignored here is the security benefits. Some stations, in the evening, are pretty much no go areas. Having them staffed would make a massive difference in them. Obviously doing every station, the likes of Pallion, South Hylton and Ilford Road wouldn't make sense but ignoring infrastructure issues places like: Northumberland Park, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Tynemouth, Wallsend, Byker, Four Lane Ends, Heworth, South Gosforth, West Jesmond, Pelaw and other similar stations, would be beneificial. With those done, you probably would no longer need the security that's been hired for most trains in an evening currently.

It'd be interesting to see how much extra revenue could be brought in from people actively avoiding the system due to safety fear.

DanNCL

Established Member
7Q55 cancelled again this morning, wonder what the problem is in France? maybe the farmers have set fire to the 555 ....
The 20s that were supposed to be taking the unit from Wembley were called upon to recover a failed track machine from Harwich. So nothing to move the delivery from Wembley and after what happened there with 555003 the risk of leaving the latest delivery there was understandably not taken.

ExRes

Established Member
The 20s that were supposed to be taking the unit from Wembley were called upon to recover a failed track machine from Harwich. So nothing to move the delivery from Wembley and after what happened there with 555003 the risk of leaving the latest delivery there was understandably not taken.

Thanks @DanNCL it's a bit strange though because there's been a pair of power cars at Wembley since Wednesday and are confirmed as present on se gen this morning

DanNCL

Established Member
Thanks @DanNCL it's a bit strange though because there's been a pair of power cars at Wembley since Wednesday and are confirmed as present on se gen this morning
Powercars? First I’ve heard of that but it makes more sense. Must be duff gen about the 20s, guessing someone has put two and two together to get five!

The delivery is at Dollands Moor awaiting movement to Wembley so has at least made it through the tunnel now.

hacman

Powercars? First I’ve heard of that but it makes more sense. Must be duff gen about the 20s, guessing someone has put two and two together to get five!

The delivery is at Dollands Moor awaiting movement to Wembley so has at least made it through the tunnel now.

I think the allocation was that the 20s were going to take the new unit(s) so far (York maybe?) then the 43s were to take over?

Established Member
Path has appeared in system for early hours of Wednesday morning Wembley to Holgate sidings for the 555s

Path attached below from Real time trains

Last edited: