• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

hacman

So from what I can tell, the confusion is around wether the brakes use magnetic force to actually slow the train, or just use magnets to release a big rubber shoe that actually slows the train?

My instinct is that it's probably a big rubber shoe, because as much as I love the metrocars, they aren't the cutting edge of technology :lol:

Eddy brakes does seem like a good idea. I'm presuming new trains will have the train equivalent of ABS.

PS. If they wanted to go full Elon Musk, just replace the whole thing with roller-coaster technology, have linear induction motors to push the cars in and out of the stations with 3G of acceleration/deceleration. Would reduce journey times across the board!

No more worries about leaves on the line neither!

The magnetic element is primarily the application, rather than the means of speed retardation - they are still a friction device. This can be seen in the video posted above - the sparks that the application generates are due to friction between the brake shoe and the rail.

The eddy current brakes are very smart but do require some signalling hardware to be hardened due to the nature of their operation. I'd imagine we may see the new HS2 rolling stock feature these, and I believe the Eurostar e320s already have them being part of the Siemens Velaro family.

Some rail systems have been tested with LIMs. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Innovia_Metro lists a few, and the people mover attraction at Walt Disney World is also a good example.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chiltern trev

The option for extra units sounds promising, or it did until the present situation blew up.

The current flexibility to operate a single unit may be missed.

The size of this order compared with Berlin puts things in perspective. We can't produce sufficient substantial regular orders to keep British rail manufacturers production lines open over the long term. This order seems to have dragged on for a very long time.

Could you please advise where the option for extra units is stated.

[English translation courtesy of Google Translate (EOE)]

METRO EMU

Nexus, Tyne and Wear, UK

Nexus, a rail operator in the north-east of England, ordered 42 new METRO trains from Stadler in January 2020. The new vehicles will be used on the Tyne and Wear Metro network in the region around Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, South Tyne-side, North Tyneside and Sunderland in the north-east of England. The light five-part railcars enable efficient and inexpensive operation. The new vehicles require considerably less energy, which is due to their lightweight construction, the recovery of braking energy and the modern and highly efficient traction converters. Power is supplied via an overhead linewith 1500 V DC. The vehicles are also prepared for the integration of an energy storage system and can therefore also be used on expansion routes that may be added at a later date. The vehicles are designed for a top speed of 80 km / h. The interior of the vehicles is bright and open. There are special multifunctional areas for wheelchairs, strollers, luggage and bicycles. The interior concept will improve passengers' sense of security through video surveillance, protection systems for door operation and clear warning displays. Good thermal and acoustic insulation ensures a comfortable room climate, newly developed bogies with air suspension lead to an improved driving experience.

Technical features
Technology
- Light car body made of extruded profiles
- Outstanding collision safety ensures safe mixed operation in full rail Traffic
- Newly developed Jakobs motor bogies and barrel bogies with air suspension
- Disc and magnetic rail brakes
- Modern vehicle control technology
- Automatic front coupling for multiple traction
- Swivel sliding doors and sliding steps for entry at ground level
- Low energy consumption thanks to lightweight vehicles, braking energy recovery and modern traction converters
- Thanks to powerful traction batteries, emergency operation does not depend on the energy supply. The vehicles are prepared for the later installation of a large energy storage system, with the help of which they can also be operated on catenary-free extension lines

Comfort
- Bright, passenger-friendly interior with a unique design
- Eight entry doors per side for rapid passenger flow
- Ground level access to all entrances thanks to sliding steps
- Generous multifunctional areas and wheelchair spaces
- Modern passenger information system and VSS
- Powerful air conditioning and underfloor heating

Staff
- Generous cab over the entire width with excellent lines of sight for the driver
- Automatic side door for easy access to the cab

Reliability / availability / maintainability / security
- Redundant traction equipment with maintenance-friendly, water-cooled IGBT converters
- Remote vehicle diagnostics to support condition-based maintenance

Vehicle data
Customer Nexus
Field of application Tyne and Wear Metro
Track width 1435 mm
Description METRO EMU
Supply voltage 1500 V DC
Axle arrangement 2 '(Bo)' (Bo) '(Bo)' (Bo) '2'
Max. Axle load 12.5 t
Suspension (secondary / primary) air suspension + rubber-metal spring element
Number of vehicles 42
Commissioned in 2023/2024
Seats (2nd class only) 104
Folding seats None
Standing room 493
Floor height 940 mm SOK
Entry width 1400 mm
Longitudinal compressive force 800 kN
Length over coupling 59 900 mm
Vehicle width 2650 mm
Vehicle height 3445 mm
Bogie axle stand
Motor bogie 2200 mm
Bogie 2000 mm
Drive wheel diameter, new 720 mm
Impeller diameter, new 720 mm
Continuous power at the wheel 942 kW
Maximum power at the wheel 1320 kW
Starting traction 140kN
Starting acceleration gross 1.35 m / s²
Braking distance service braking 250 m
Braking distance emergency braking 150 m
Top speed 80 km / h

Any further info on what "The vehicles are also prepared for the integration of an energy storage system and can therefore also be used on expansion routes that may be added at a later date. The vehicles are designed for a top speed of 80 km / h." means?

Although 25kv has not been stated, do these units have passive provision for 25Kv or battery or...?

hacman

Could you please advise where the option for extra units is stated.

Any further info on what "The vehicles are also prepared for the integration of an energy storage system and can therefore also be used on expansion routes that may be added at a later date. The vehicles are designed for a top speed of 80 km / h." means?

Although 25kv has not been stated, do these units have passive provision for 25Kv or battery or...?

Paragraph two on this article advises of the option, but doesn’t state the option quantity. That said as this is a custom build it’s not likely fixed to a certain number.

Nexus have already increased the order to 46 trains following successful funding of the Metro Flow project.

25Kv AC support was dropped from the specification early on, though there may exist passive provision in the design.

There is battery power included for shunting and emergencies in the base build, with the option to expand this for full IP-EMU operation later on.

D365

Veteran Member
25Kv AC support was dropped from the specification early on, though there may exist passive provision in the design.

There is battery power included for shunting and emergencies in the base build, with the option to expand this for full IP-EMU operation later on.
I imagine it would be something like the Class 450, where the units are 25kV-capable but would need modification in order to accommodate the added transformer and pantograph mass.

The inclusion of battery power makes sense, sounds like the Class 777 for Merseyrail.

simple simon

These trains (and indeed previous generations of Tyneside Electric trains) will feature in a future issue of the magazine Railways Illustrated. This will be in spring 2021, but I am not sure which month.

hacman

These trains (and indeed previous generations of Tyneside Electric trains) will feature in a future issue of the magazine Railways Illustrated. This will be in spring 2021, but I am not sure which month.

The magazine is available now...

The magazine is available on the Readly app - which also has a web version accessible from a computer: https://gb.readly.com/

There's a 1-month free trial too.

simple simon

The magazine is available on the Readly app - which also has a web version accessible from a computer: https://gb.readly.com/

There's a 1-month free trial too.

Thanks, in the next few days I shall be going to my local high street to get a paper copy.

In the meantime, I am publishing my small collection of Metro photos (which date back to 1981) on Flickr and will share the link in the Photography section of this forum - as I will not be including anything about the new trains I'm not sure the mods would welcome me doing it here.

D365

Veteran Member
In the meantime, I am publishing my small collection of Metro photos (which date back to 1981) on Flickr and will share the link in the Photography section of this forum - as I will not be including anything about the new trains I'm not sure the mods would welcome me doing it here.
I'm sure that's more than enough reason to start your own thread!

Skie

The inclusion of battery power makes sense, sounds like the Class 777 for Merseyrail.

The Merseyrail units have depot batteries and the capability to either add more batteries for use in service or 25kv equipment and a pantograph. Reason it being one or the other is the space for the 25kv equipment is the same space the added service batteries would go.

They can be given a pantograph and service batteries if the overheads are 750v DC. This setup is being explored to allow battery running over longer distances, with 750v OHLE sections for charging (Or just extensions given 3rd rail extensions are unlikely)

The Metro units should have a similar combination possible, and may have more space available for added gubbins that is limited in the 777s

hacman

The Merseyrail units have depot batteries and the capability to either add more batteries for use in service or 25kv equipment and a pantograph. Reason it being one or the other is the space for the 25kv equipment is the same space the added service batteries would go.

They can be given a pantograph and service batteries if the overheads are 750v DC. This setup is being explored to allow battery running over longer distances, with 750v OHLE sections for charging (Or just extensions given 3rd rail extensions are unlikely)

The Metro units should have a similar combination possible, and may have more space available for added gubbins that is limited in the 777s

The new units Nexus are getting have depot/limp batteries fitted - the quoted capacity is sufficient for 45 minutes of running away from the OHLE. This is currently intended more as a contingency rather than for extensions; with a view to getting passengers to a position of safety in the event of a power failure or emergency, or at least keeping the train lit and heated/cooled until arrangements can be made.

The units have the ability to be fitted with expanded battery packs to allow running away from the 1500v DC network, but 25kV AC was ruled out in favour of IP/battery in the revised tender from Nexus. As there are different requirements for 25kV AC with regards to the pantograph, supply bus, and other ancillary fittings, it's very likely they won't ever be able to do this without substantial modification.

That said, Stadler are very good at modifying existing units they've produced by way of "shoving" an extra car into the formation; so it's not entirely inconceivable that Stadler could produce an extra car for the units at a later date with a second pantograph and transformer hardware for 25kV AC operation (or even a diesel power-pack). Given that the trains are 60m long, and the platforms we currently have can accept 65m long trains, this could work very well.

millemille

Is there any confirmed, recently published/available, date on the new trains entering service?

Swanny200

Considering that they have only just started work on the demolition of the original Metro depot and we are yet to see anything from Stadtler in terms of any units in build (that I have been able to see anyway), might still be a while off

trebor79

Established Member
If the 745 and 755 fleet are anything to go by, they will be worth waiting for.
Might have to have a trip to Newcastle to sample to original Metrocars one last time.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Is there any confirmed, recently published/available, date on the new trains entering service?
Summer 2023 was the last date I heard for the first sets to enter service on the basis of testing being able to begin by the end of 2022. That was as of February!

DanNCL

Established Member
Today's Railways has reported these units as being designated class 555 for use on the national network.

The latest update is that the first unit is expected to be delivered to Gosforth in November 2022, with the first unit in service in July 2023, and a new unit in service every 2 weeks from that point up until the full fleet is in use, with the existing fleet being withdrawn at the same rate. The last trains of the existing fleet are expected to be withdrawn in November 2024.

Also linked to the introduction of the class 555s to the Metro network, beacons are to installed on the curves that connect Nexus and Network Rail infrastructure at Pelaw to allow the 555s to automatically switch between Nexus's radio system and GSM-R as they pass over the Nexus-Network Rail boundary.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Today's Railways has reported these units as being designated class 555 for use on the national network.

The latest update is that the first unit is expected to be delivered to Gosforth in November 2022, with the first unit in service in July 2023, and a new unit in service every 2 weeks from that point up until the full fleet is in use, with the existing fleet being withdrawn at the same rate. The last trains of the existing fleet are expected to be withdrawn in November 2024.

Also linked to the introduction of the class 555s to the Metro network, beacons are to installed on the curves that connect Nexus and Network Rail infrastructure at Pelaw to allow the 555s to automatically switch between Nexus's radio system and GSM-R as they pass over the Nexus-Network Rail boundary.

DanNCL

Established Member
I can't see Nexus switching to GSM-R - they've only just replaced the entire radio system.
Indeed. The existing radio system is being kept on Nexus tracks, and GSM-R used on Network Rail tracks.

With a move to GSM-R on Network Rail, it may be that the Green line is converted to the new 555s first so that the remainder of the old fleet without GSM-R is kept to Nexus infrastructure.

hacman

it may be that the Green line is converted to the new 555s first so that the remainder of the old fleet without GSM-R is kept to Nexus infrastructure.

I'd say this is a safe bet - also for reasons of reliability to avoid delay penalties; the new 555s once approved for use in squadron service will be orders of magnitude more performant than the existing fleet, even if there are some kinks to iron out.

In the period between the first new unit going into service and the last old one being withdrawn, the superior acceleration of the class 555 will give quite impressive ability to recover from any delays; at least until the timetable is re-written to take regular advantage of their new capabilities.

jkkne

In the period between the first new unit going into service and the last old one being withdrawn, the superior acceleration of the class 555 will give quite impressive ability to recover from any delays; at least until the timetable is re-written to take regular advantage of their new capabilities.

That’s if the overhead lines stay up, the points keep working and they’ve got enough drivers to operate the service haha

AutoKratz

Ding ding ding - Manufacturing of the new Metro trains is now underway.

And Nexus has formally confirmed it will receive 46 new Metro trains rather than the initial order of 42.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/...-new-metro-trains-manufacturing-gets-underway

Nexus orders four more new Metro trains as manufacturing gets underway

7 September 2021
Nexus today confirmed an order for four additional trains for the new Tyne and Wear Metro fleet as manufacturing by Stadler has officially began.
The new order brings to 46 the number of trains Stadler will deliver as part of a £362m programme which will transform the journey experience for Metro customers.
Nexus, the public body which owns and manages Metro, said the start of the manufacturing process was a historic moment – and begins the countdown to the first new train arriving for testing next year.
Stadler, the Swiss train builder, officially began the manufacturing process ahead of assembly at its factories at the end of the year. Scores of components are being supplied by firms in North East England, the UK and mainland Europe.
The first new train will arrive in 2022 and will enter passenger service in mid-2023, delivering a step-change in quality and reliability.
Nexus has ordered the four extra new trains after £95m was secured from the Government’s Transforming Cities Fund for the Metro Flow programme. The investment will allow Nexus to increase service frequency, reduce journey times, and improve reliability on Metro by dualling three sections of line between Pelaw and South Shields. The Metro Flow project will start on site in September 2022.
Nexus will use some of the funding to buy four more new trains on top of the 42 which have already been ordered.
Director of Finance and Resources at Nexus, John Fenwick, said: “I’m delighted to confirm that we have been able to order four extra new Metro trains on top of the 42 which are already on order, and that Stadler has now started the manufacturing process.
"Securing the funding to order these additional trains is the culmination of an enormous amount of work in successfully making the case for the Metro Flow project, which is a key tenet of our recovery plan as we emerge from the Coronavirus pandemic.
“The additional trains are required so that we can enhance the Metro timetable, delivering a more frequent and reliable service for our customers.
“The start of the manufacturing process is an exciting moment in the countdown to the new Metro trains, which are going to transform the journey experience for our customers.”
Cllr Martin Gannon, Chair of the North East Joint Transport Committee, said: “I’m thrilled with the announcement that an additional four new Metro trains have been secured through the Transforming Cities Fund which is administered in our region by the North East Joint Transport Committee. This is more great news for passengers and these new trains will offer an even better experience for passengers, as well as a greater reliability of services.
“Metro Flow will be truly transformational for people using the service every day to get to work, education or leisure destinations across the region. It will offer improved journey times across the entire Metro system so I’m sure this will encourage more people to consider public transport as a clean, safe and reliable way to travel.”
Andreas Discher, project manager at Stadler said: “Nexus’ decision to top up the order is good news for passengers and stakeholders alike. Following the successful completion of the design phase, we are very pleased to have started the manufacturing process this summer, with bodyshells now being built. The first bodyshell is set to be ready by the end of the year, which will be another significant moment for both Stadler and Nexus.”
Stadler is building 46 new Metro trains for Nexus, which will be delivered up to 2024. They will be responsible for servicing and maintaining these trains for 35 years, underscoring their commitment to the regional economy.
The new trains, which will be 15 times more reliable and will cut energy consumption by 30%, will have modern features including improved internet connectivity, charging points, air conditioning and a step-change in accessibility.
Among new features will be an automatic sliding step at every door of the new trains, making travel easier for Metro’s 50,000 wheelchair passengers as well as people with children’s buggies, luggage or bicycles.
Stadler is also in the process of building a new £70m Metro depot at Gosforth as part of the new fleet project.
The Metro Flow project will be carried out by Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd, who won a £55m tender for the construction stage of the project.
Find out more at www.nexus.org.uk/newmetrotrains

chiltern trev

Just how do you arrive at 15 times more reliable?

Is it comparing the Stadler trains with the existing trains when new or when we'll used after around 40 years, or so, service?

DanNCL

Established Member
The first bodyshell for the new trains has been completed, and has transferred to the final assembly line at Stadler’s St Margrethen plant in Switzerland.

As far as I know, the new units will be numbered 5001 - 5046, not sure if they’ll carry their full TOPS numbers as class 555s or just the last 4 digits as per the current Metro fleet and older fleets in the former Southern Region.