• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

David2210

Sorry for the bit off topic question, but why do some of the metros now sound like "tube" trains, they have a high pitched coil whining sound when accelerating.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

Generally, they make "coil whining" sounds because they have large could underneath and are producing variable frequency ac power for the traction motors. Siemens, Bombardier, and Alstom's trains all sound a bit different, but all have the whine or buzz

hacman

Sorry for the bit off topic question, but why do some of the metros now sound like "tube" trains, they have a high pitched coil whining sound when accelerating.

Generally, they make "coil whining" sounds because they have large could underneath and are producing variable frequency ac power for the traction motors. Siemens, Bombardier, and Alstom's trains all sound a bit different, but all have the whine or buzz

No. These trains have DC motors.

The noise here is caused by the track. Explanation posted in the other TW Metro thread.

hacman

Yes. I answered regarding TW Metro stock, as that is what the OP here asked about, and it’s in the TW Metro thread.

jkkne

I’m guessing the hangover from the Beast from the East and general maintenance is continuing.

There’s been very few peak trains running of late, it’s been sardine esque on the Cosst to Shields the past few weeks.

Perhaps Easter will provide a reprieve!

ModernRailways

Established Member
I’m guessing the hangover from the Beast from the East and general maintenance is continuing.

There’s been very few peak trains running of late, it’s been sardine esque on the Cosst to Shields the past few weeks.

Perhaps Easter will provide a reprieve!

We've been running for a while now with 2-4 peak trains missing - I've noticed complaints about this have risen in recent weeks though (any idea why?). We're short on units so anything that is able to be put into passenger service is. It's the reason 4002 is still out in day-to-day service.

Don't get your hopes up ;)

Jonny

Established Member

Like David2210, I've noticed a high pitched, motor-like sound when on the Metro recently and I was wondering what would cause it (sounds like it's from the train).

No. These trains have DC motors.

The noise here is caused by the track. Explanation posted in the other TW Metro thread.

I haven't been able to find that explanation. Do you have a link?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Like David2210, I've noticed a high pitched, motor-like sound when on the Metro recently and I was wondering what would cause it (sounds like it's from the train).

I haven't been able to find that explanation. Do you have a link?

If you listen closely you'll hear it's the rail and not the train. Here's the Quote from the other thread, if you click the little up arrow that will take you to the thread/post.

This isn’t the trains, it’s the rails.

Rail grinding has been done south of Ilford Road to at least as far as Central Station.

The freshly ground rails have striations on the railhead, which is what causes the F1 car / old tube train sound.

DanNCL

Established Member
I've heard that 4022 may now have been scrapped. Is anyone able to confirm whether it has been scrapped or not, and if it has been scrapped where and when it was scrapped?

ModernRailways

Established Member
4040 is the only one of the unrefurbished sets that I've not had this year. Unfortunately I won't be able to catch it today, any idea if it'll be out on Monday?

It's been in service for the past couple weeks so yes, obviously this can be subject to last minute change on the morning.

DanNCL

Established Member
4040 and 4001 are out on Airport - South Hylton services on diagram 102 today if anyone's interested

EDIT: both unrefurbished sets are out today; 4002 and 4083 are on peak extras

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
There's five shortlisted. CAF, Bombardier, Stadler, Hitachi, and a joint venture between CRRC and Edi Rail. Chris Grayling is up at the depot and will be announcing it all there.

MetroCar4058

There's five shortlisted. CAF, Bombardier, Stadler, Hitachi, and a joint venture between CRRC and Edi Rail. Chris Grayling is up at the depot and will be announcing it all there.

Interesting to see CAF proposing their Civity platform is where they’re going to start. When having a read they already offer a 1500V DC package on the Class 331 which may be handy as a starting point.

Mikey C

Established Member
I assume Bombardier's offering will be a Movia derivative like the Underground S stock rather than an Aventra?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting to see CAF proposing their Civity platform is where they’re going to start. When having a read they already offer a 1500V DC package on the Class 331 which may be handy as a starting point.
I should think almost any supplier’s AC traction package should be easily adaptable to take a 1500V input. It’s within the same ballpark as the DC link stage of a typical AC OHLE supplied unit.

zuriblue

I should think almost any supplier’s AC traction package should be easily adaptable to take a 1500V input. It’s within the same ballpark as the DC link stage of a typical AC OHLE supplied unit.

Certainly most of the shortlisted suppliers have recently supplied stock to the Netherlands which is at 1500V.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
CAF's traction package is probably descended from a Spanish one where they use 3kV on their conventional network.

Skymonster

Established Member
I've heard that 4022 may now have been scrapped. Is anyone able to confirm whether it has been scrapped or not, and if it has been scrapped where and when it was scrapped?
Nope - picture of it dated 15/09 under a tarp at Bristol Barton Hill on the WNXX news page.

hacman

The new fleet is required to be dual voltage 1500V DC / 25kV AC too, so regardless which platform was chosen for traction there would be a voltage/type conversion capability.

The traction package would likely be an AC system anyway, as that is the current way of doing things.

Preferred supplier not being announced until end of next year though, seems rather protracted.

hacman

Preferred supplier not being announced until end of next year though, seems rather protracted.

They need to actually propose a basic design before Nexus can select one as the preferred option!

As the order will not be an off-shelf design, and has quite a tight budget, this will take time.

superkev

Established Member
Tram Train operation? Presumably the T and W metro uses standard rail rather than thinner tram flange wheels. So is it a train or a tram.
The SY tram train has thin flange tram wheels needing raised check rails on the Network rail section.
Also is there special rules on operation of light rail between Pelaw and Sunderland.
K

hacman

Tram Train operation? Presumably the T and W metro uses standard rail rather than thinner tram flange wheels. So is it a train or a tram.
The SY tram train has thin flange tram wheels needing raised check rails on the Network rail section.
Also is there special rules on operation of light rail between Pelaw and Sunderland.
K

They’re trains. The current stock uses a British Rail P8 wheel profile.

The Sunderland line doesn’t really have much in the way of special rules. The main differences are the dual (metric and imperial) speed restrictions and the requirement for more space between services owing to the fact that the line uses both TPWS and indusi signaling.