• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Hidden or Disused Platforms/Tunnels/Station Areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katieee

Hi, I'm wondering what hidden, disused or otherwise semi-secret or hard to find areas there are on the Tyne and Wear Metro system.

I'm thinking anything like platforms, tunnels, sections that were never completed, or parts of buildings that have been shut off or closed, basically anything beyond what's visible.

It'd also be great if anyone has photos of anything like this!

Here's what I know about:

1. Sunderland has a hidden platform behind the wall the light silhouette people was fitted on, which was used decades ago. There's no recent photos of it or as far as I can find indications of if it's bare or used for other things now.

2. Haymarket has a "basement" level you can see on the lift, that requires a key for access. This level is between the concourse and the platforms but I've found no information on what's there (presumably nothing interesting).

3. North Shields had a third platform that is no longer used, where the ramp is.

4. Monument had a Travelshop that for a number of years was very visible but unused, that is now being converted to a real ale bar.

Some other bits and theories that may not be true:

5. When Monument's news stand was closed a few years ago, it was covered up with wall panels as if it was never there. This way of constructing stations suggests that there could be some interesting spaces behind panels.

6. A thread here speculated that a third tunnel was planned and possibly even bored out at St James, but that was debunked in the thread. Another person suggested something could be behind the wall space in the entrance.

I'm sure there's lots here I've missed, but what?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
The most obvious thing would be the track that branches off the southbound line from South Gosforth just before the (new) Jesmond station, which was the original route of the railway; passes through the former Jesmond (surface) station heading towards Manors. Formerly used by the railway's anti-clockwise loop services going to Newcastle; as a Metro line it nowadays enters a "new" tunnel just before the former Manors platform location and loops on to the Eastbound line towards Wallsend.

jp4712

In each case below, click on the photo to see a larger version.

I used that third platform at North Shields many a time.

Tyne & Wear Metro 4004, North Shields, March 1983 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

There was also the turn-back at Benton, used to turn back 'red' trains and built on the site of the LNER link to the East Coast Main Line.

Tyne & Wear Metro 4072, Benton, May 1985 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

In the same area, the east-to-south curve was in place until the late 1980s to accommodate British Rail 'Speedlink' trains to the Rowntree's factory at Fawdon. I witnessed the incongruous sight of a BR train passing Metros several times but only had my camera with me one, when I got this slightly awkward but rare shot of a 31 on Metro rails at Benton station facing east and about to turn right back to BR on the ECML.

31285, Benton Metro station, May 1985 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

Crimzz

5. When Monument's news stand was closed a few years ago, it was covered up with wall panels as if it was never there. This way of constructing stations suggests that there could be some interesting spaces behind panels.

The newsstand was in front of the panels and was never built into the station.

2. Haymarket has a "basement" level you can see on the lift, that requires a key for access. This level is between the concourse and the platforms but I've found no information on what's there (presumably nothing interesting).

All underground stations have a basement/void areas with Gateshead being the biggest.

4. Monument had a Travelshop that for a number of years was very visible but unused, that is now being converted to a real ale bar.

The progress on that has been slow it's been awhile since anything has been said or done, The travel shop at Four Lane Ends is still disused and the one at Heworth now a Coffee shop.

North Shields bay platform I've only ever seen get used now for driver training.

There was stations planned but never built that was Osborne Road even had a official station abbreviation of OSB and another station between Walkergate & Wallsend but due to backlash from residence it never got the go ahead.

The_Train

Established Member
Geoff has recently done a 'Secrets of the Tyne & Wear Metro' video. Not sure it will answer all of your questions but certainly includes some hidden stuff

Steddenm

The most obvious thing would be the track that branches off the southbound line from South Gosforth just before the (new) Jesmond station, which was the original route of the railway; passes through the former Jesmond (surface) station heading towards Manors. Formerly used by the railway's anti-clockwise loop services going to Newcastle; as a Metro line it nowadays enters a "new" tunnel just before the former Manors platform location and loops on to the Eastbound line towards Wallsend.

The old link between West Jesmond and Manors is used for stock moves.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a discussion of Sunderland Station in the main infrastructure thread from a few years back:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/sunderland-station.111716/#post-2071039
basically, the illuminated wall is set back slightly from the edge of the original P3, and the in use island was widened over the space where the track for the original platform P2 would have been. The disused P4 is behind the wall.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Geoff has recently done a 'Secrets of the Tyne & Wear Metro' video. Not sure it will answer all of your questions but certainly includes some hidden stuff

To answer a couple of unanswered questions in here:

I believe the reason for no footbridge at Ilford Road is that the residents objected to having one at bedroom window level.

The long platform at Haymarket is because the lift is at the far end, so as to be under the surface building. They didn't do the more logical thing of having the trains stop directly underneath the building because that's on a curve (as seen on the video) and the platform gap would be too big.

With the Metro being relatively modern (and a lot smaller than London Underground) there aren't that many hidden features. There's a page on the Web somewhere about an emergency exit passage at St James.

SeanG

The stairs between Monument Platforms 1/2 and 3/4 seem like a hidden feature for some people - the number of people I have seen go up to the main gate line and then down again.

The lengthy platforms at a number of stations were as a result of the original intention to run 3 sets together ie 6 car trains

Ianno87

Veteran Member
To answer a couple of unanswered questions in here:

I believe the reason for no footbridge at Ilford Road is that the residents objected to having one at bedroom window level.

The long platform at Haymarket is because the lift is at the far end, so as to be under the surface building. They didn't do the more logical thing of having the trains stop directly underneath the building because that's on a curve (as seen on the video) and the platform gap would be too big.

With the Metro being relatively modern (and a lot smaller than London Underground) there aren't that many hidden features. There's a page on the Web somewhere about an emergency exit passage at St James.

The stairs between Monument Platforms 1/2 and 3/4 seem like a hidden feature for some people - the number of people I have seen go up to the main gate line and then down again.

The lengthy platforms at a number of stations were as a result of the original intention to run 3 sets together ie 6 car trains

Or 3 car sets?

In the case of Haymarket, the full 3 car platform length is both for future proofing but also access to the lift at the extremety (as opposed to part of the platform being sealed off as elsewhere)

Kryten2340

Hi, I'm wondering what hidden, disused or otherwise semi-secret or hard to find areas there are on the Tyne and Wear Metro system.

I'm thinking anything like platforms, tunnels, sections that were never completed, or parts of buildings that have been shut off or closed, basically anything beyond what's visible.

It'd also be great if anyone has photos of anything like this!

Here's what I know about:

I'm sure there's lots here I've missed, but what?

I can recall reading years ago (can't remember where) that the basement level at Haymarket was something to do with a public records archive or something along those lines.

I did my work experience on the Metro (back in 96 or 97). Some of the things pointed out to me were:

• Airport tripwire at Newcastle Airport. You can see this on the left as you approach Airport Station.
  • Backup control rooms. At that time there was 4, one of them being inside the panelling on one of the platforms at Manors. I wonder if these still exist today.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
  • Backup control rooms. At that time there was 4, one of them being inside the panelling on one of the platforms at Manors. I wonder if these still exist today.
If there were that many then I think they would be more like the emergency panels found in some of BR's relay based signaling systems of a similar age, rather than a fully-fledged control room waiting to take over all functions. I believe the Metro now has SSI or some other computer-based interlocking, for which the system architecture doesn't lend itself to emergency panels.

Kryten2340

If there were that many then I think they would be more like the emergency panels found in some of BR's relay based signaling systems of a similar age, rather than a fully-fledged control room waiting to take over all functions. I believe the Metro now has SSI or some other computer-based interlocking, for which the system architecture doesn't lend itself to emergency panels.

Yeah I should elaborate. The backup control rooms were smaller variants for that particular section of the system, not the full system.

TWTrains

There’s also a very noticeable alignment at St James where they were planning for a a terminating Platform 3 on the left as you arrive into the station. I think this was to be used for football extras during match days. It appears it could be just be knocked down and then theres a tunnel in place...although I am not sure if the platform exists too.

All I know is that it now won‘t happen as St James will probably forever be a terminus.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

As an infrequent user of the Metro that is, however, aware of their existence it feels like that link just is very poorly signposted (if at all). Always possible that I've missed a large neon sign but otherwise...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
As an infrequent user of the Metro that is, however, aware of their existence it feels like that link just is very poorly signposted (if at all). Always possible that I've missed a large neon sign but otherwise...

Its signed in green (Alternative exit via Platforms 3/4) but only next to the stairs. So you really have to know it's there or exit near it.

MetroCar4058

There’s also a very noticeable alignment at St James where they were planning for a a terminating Platform 3 on the left as you arrive into the station. I think this was to be used for football extras during match days. It appears it could be just be knocked down and then theres a tunnel in place...although I am not sure if the platform exists too.

All I know is that it now won‘t happen as St James will probably forever be a terminus.

I'm believe this actually just hearsay. There is a lot of void space at St James and I think thats just part of that complex.

hacman

I'm believe this actually just hearsay. There is a lot of void space at St James and I think thats just part of that complex.

It's there as potential provision for a spur heading south, rather than for an extra platform. There was quite a fuss about it a while back due to the proposed development of the land in front of the station, as this would have potentially rendered this unusable.

There was never plans for a 3rd platform at St James - quite the opposite in fact, it was originally envisioned as a through station.

Crimzz

I do belive Monument is also a rare case of the same train passing the same station twice on the same route, Not sure if this happens much elsewhere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I do belive Monument is also a rare case of the same train passing the same station twice on the same route, Not sure if this happens much elsewhere.
Edgware Road springs to mind. Some late night EMR trains from London go to Nottingham then Derby, so pass Beeston and Attenborough twice.

rebmcr

Established Member
Edgware Road springs to mind. Some late night EMR trains from London go to Nottingham then Derby, so pass Beeston and Attenborough twice.

TPE's Manchester Piccadilly reversers pass Ardwick twice (though only go through its platforms once).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we might be wandering into a whole new realm of trivia here so shall we get back to the Tyne and Wear Metro?

Status
Not open for further replies.