Tyne & Wear metro operator

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by pdeaves, 24 May 2019.

1. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

Operation of the Metro system was tendered and awarded to DB Regio Tyne & Wear, which took over from 1 April 2010. After seven years, Nexus to operation 'in house' again, initially for two years (i.e. to 31 March 2019). As I have heard nothing further about tendering/franchising/outsourcing or any other variant, is it safe to assume that Nexus still runs the Metro? Are there any plans to change the status quo?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Megafuss

Megafuss Member

No, Metro is still operated by NEXUS. Some background here http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...peration-of-tyne-and-wear-metro-from-db-regio

It's worth noting that during the original tendering process, the NEXUS in-house bid somehow managed to fail....

4. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

Thanks.

Yes, I get the impression (rightly or wrongly) that it was highly political; rather like BR bidding for original franchises it was doomed to fail however good it was.

5. MetroCar4058

MetroCar4058 Member

Nexus would've bankrupted themselves if they won the tender!

I believe there are no intentions to put the network back out to tender. It'll be operated by Nexus until at least the new fleet is fully integrated.

6. ModernRailways

ModernRailways Established Member

Rumour has it that it is planned to go back out to tender in the next year or two.

7. MetroCar4058

MetroCar4058 Member

NECA report a year back said otherwise but it would explain a lot of stuff around NEMOL becoming Metro Services.