• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear stock diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

37078xotTE

Established Member
All,

I am finally planning to make the trip north and visit the Tyne and Wear Metro and was wondering if anybody could help me with the number of "units" I could expect to see out and about in one day or help by providing me with the diagrams?
I am going to attempt to cover all the track and scratch all the stations in one day (A long day I know but technically possible!) and would love to know how many of the 90 units I could expect to get in that one day.
I know I would have to revisit but would love to make as large a dent in the number as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

37078xotTE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
74 cars running as 37 pairs, cars for morning peak generally are the same cars used for evening peak. Best bet is to do Between Pelaw and South Gosforth as you'll get trains every 3 mins during the peak. I'd also suggest if you want to clear trains as fast as possible, travel between say Haymarket and Gateshead, as those are island platforms and easier for changes (then can do the rest of the lines outside peak hours).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Don't forget an all-zones Metro pass is valid on the ferry, it helps with ticking all the lines off.

Stay in the central core during the peak and you should tick everything off. Some of the peak diagrams are quite short, especially in the evening peak.

Last edited:

SeanG

70 of the 90 units are out in service during the peak times, I believe about 50 are used for the normal service during the day.

I've never tried something like this myself, but I'd say perhaps do Longbenton - Monkseaton during the peak times as there are trains every 6 minutes.

WTT here:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tyne_and_wear_metro_current_work#incoming-1003775

Enjoy!
You'd be better doing something between two stations with Island platforms on the South Gosforth-Pelaw section for quicker changes and the fact every unit in service will pass here. I'd recommend perhaps Felling - Gateshead Stadium as it'll be quieter and you can see some daylight

Kite159

Veteran Member
You'd be better doing something between two stations with Island platforms on the South Gosforth-Pelaw section for quicker changes and the fact every unit in service will pass here. I'd recommend perhaps Felling - Gateshead Stadium as it'll be quieter and you can see some daylight

Agreed. Avoid Heworth to change between platforms as there is a grumpy member of staff who may accuse you off fare dodging.

Status
Not open for further replies.