• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Types of trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainlover43

On Moderation
hi, i was just wondering if there is any way i can find out what train i am getting on, when i book on trainline it just gives me the company and not the actual train like class 800, does anybody know a website.

Thanks, Jack.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scott M

Find your service on there, click on “Go to detailed version” then click on “Show train information“.

Scott M

Np.

If you check during/after the journey it will tell you exactly what train it is/was eg “Operated with 158844“, but if you check in advance it might just say eg “Pathed as Class 150/153/155/156 DMU”.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
RTT only gives out allocations for certain TOCs at the moment, which you should bear in mind (currently it's ScotRail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Northern and CrossCountry). You won't really be able to find out precise allocations until the day you go out travelling in any case, although if you want to know what type of train you can expect on a certain service you can always ask.

trainlover43

On Moderation
RTT only gives out allocations for certain TOCs at the moment, which you should bear in mind (currently it's ScotRail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Northern and CrossCountry). You won't really be able to find out precise allocations until the day you go out travelling in any case, although if you want to know what type of train you can expect on a certain service you can always ask.
ok, thanks

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For most routes there are only one or two types of train that routinely operate services. So you can just tell us what route (and operator) you'll be using and someone here will know.

For certain operators, on the day www.realtimetrains.co.uk will be able to tell you the exact unit (train) that is allocated to run your service. This includes CrossCountry, Northern, LNER, ScotRail and Caledonian Sleeper at present. You could look at the same time service as you're intending to take today or yesterday to see what train was allocated.

If there are reservations available (with specific seat allocations), then www.TrainSplit.com will show you a seating map which will show the layout of the train the operator intends to run. The number of carriages or coach layout may give away what kind of train they're intending to run if you cross-reference it to the relevant operator's generic seatmaps.

Finally, you could use apps like On Rails, or other sites that make use of the Darwin data feed, to see how many carriages the service is shown as having. However this doesn't necessarily definitively narrow it down and the data isn't available at all stations or for all services.

py_megapixel

Established Member
As @trainlover43 has put their location as Newcastle, I will add to this thread a rough idea of the kind of stock that can be expected from Newcastle Central station:
  • LNER - 800s and 801s (with the 800s being on services which extend beyond Edinburgh) and the occasional InterCity 225 (91+Mk4) formation.
  • TransPennnine Express - class 802s, with the occasional 185 if one breaks down
  • Northern - 158s and 156s, possibly with other Sprinters on occasion -
  • CrossCountry - most services are 220s and 221s. However, a few specific services towards Bristol and Plymouth are booked for InterCity 125s. These are shown on Realtime Trains as "Pathed as High Speed Train - Planned for 125mph max". Here's an example: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C86861/2020-10-29/detailed

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I hope you can at least get some kind of idea from this

Haywain

Veteran Member
  • LNER - 800s and 801s (with the 800s being on services which extend beyond Edinburgh) and the occasional InterCity 225 (91+Mk4) formation.
There shouldn't be any 225s now, they are supposed to be confined to services south of Leeds and York.

Status
Not open for further replies.