• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Not confident about the Italy game but boy does it feel good to be in a final! Amazing work by Southgate and the team.
One of the most impressive things last night was the way they closed the game out. That spell of passing over the last few minutes was so very un-English.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Personally i'm going to enjoy this moment, i'm old though not quite old enough to remember England in a final before. Who knows when it'll happen again?

SteveM70

Established Member
Well, they are! (On betfair at least).

Weight of money rather than actual chance of winning. Although I’ve got £20 on Italy at 11/1 so it’s sort of win/win for me now

Yes - but only a fool would watch ITV instead of BBC!

The ITV commentator was awful again last night. Just before the end he was wittering on about “a member of the danish staff being off the pitch” meaning they were “down to 9 men”

westv

Established Member
Sir Gareth Southgate in January not matter what the result on Sunday?

SteveM70

Established Member
The biggest downside of England win is going to be politicians of all hues jumping on the bandwagon. We had it yesterday with Johnson and Patel, neither of whom has any interest in football whatsoever, posting photos of themselves in England shirts. And princess nut nuts waving from the posh seats like the bloody queen

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The ITV commentator was awful again last night. Just before the end he was wittering on about “a member of the danish staff being off the pitch” meaning they were “down to 9 men”
Sam Matterface? Awful.

The biggest downside of England win is going to be politicians of all hues jumping on the bandwagon. We had it yesterday with Johnson and Patel, neither of whom has any interest in football whatsoever, posting photos of themselves in England shirts. And princess nut nuts waving from the posh seats like the bloody queen
Let them get on with it. We look at the standards the England manager expects and exhibits and we compare them and see how fake and empty these politicians are. Gary Neville had it right last night.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Anyone for Sir Gareth no matter what the result on Sunday :)

As successful England Managers go, I believe this currently puts him behind Sir Alf, and I believe this is the first time England have reached back-to-back Semi-Finals

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Absolutely never a penalty - so I look forward to the Olympic diving competition on Sunday given how bad Italy are at it too!
I also hope the stewards managed to find the utter moron in the crowed who was shining a laser pointer at Schmeichel's face during the penalty.
Italy of course are well above and beyond what could diplomatically be called “gamesmanship”.=
Of course it also should mean that if Italy do dive and win themselves a penalty or whatever in the final England fans have literally no legs to stand on to complain about that.
Diving and simulation is a cancer to the game. We need to go back to booking players for it. Will soon die out then.
We weren't robbed or cheated
Nope you did that yourselves instead!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It was a soft penalty, but still a penalty. It was a foul and that gets given in the centre circle and it is a foul in the penalty area too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I misheard that as “on” - as though someone such as a physio had taken them up to 12 men…

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It was a soft penalty, but still a penalty. It was a foul and that gets given in the centre circle and it is a foul in the penalty area too.

Stonewall penalty. Almost snapped Sterling in half. Should have been sent off ;)

( it was a VERY soft penalty. We would be livid if it was at the other end but, for once, it wasn't so sod it!)

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It was the kind of penalty that I suspect VAR couldn't overturn because there wasn't an angle that showed it as a "clear and obvious" error, but had the ref missed it and then VAR looked at it then it wouldn't have been given. It's like the TMO issue in Rugby where the question the ref asks determines what the TMO can or can't do - in this case the refs actions prior tied VAR's hands.

Darandio

Established Member
We wont beat Italy......................

Which is the correct answer, it's the hope that kills you.

It must be weird as a young fan, they probably see going deep into tournaments as completely normal. As a Liverpool supporter and someone who has only seriously been watching football for the last 4-5 years my son is a case in point. In that time he has seen Liverpool get to a Champions League final then finish second in the Premier League with a record points haul as well as lifting the Champions League. Then the Premier League title followed. For England he's now seen a World Cup semi-final appearance and is now awaiting a European Championships final. He thinks it's all completely normal.

Prepare for the disappointment in the future son, prepare for it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It was the kind of penalty that I suspect VAR couldn't overturn because there wasn't an angle that showed it as a "clear and obvious" error, but had the ref missed it and then VAR looked at it then it wouldn't have been given. It's like the TMO issue in Rugby where the question the ref asks determines what the TMO can or can't do - in this case the refs actions prior tied VAR's hands.
Yes probably, the referee gave it first of all, and on the replay there was slight contact. I don’t think it was an error although @DarloRich is right - it was “one of those” and if it gets given against us at the other end we are unhappy. About time England got a bit of luck though.

Geezertronic

Established Member
It was a soft penalty, it was given, it was saved, the follow up was scored. VAR didn't overrule it as it was not determined as a clear & obvious error

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It must be weird as a young fan, they probably see going deep into tournaments as completely normal.
They do, but that is the point Southgate is making. The current players haven't been contaminated by those 30 years of hurt like we have. We cant even process doing this well, we cant even accommodate the thought that England might beat a "better" team or that England might be the better team! We are conditioned to expect failure but the youngsters aren't. This IS normal for them.

It is up to these players to create new narratives and one of those is that we do well in tournaments and that it becomes normal for a younger generation.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Which is the correct answer, it's the hope that kills you.

It must be weird as a young fan, they probably see going deep into tournaments as completely normal. As a Liverpool supporter and someone who has only seriously been watching football for the last 4-5 years my son is a case in point. In that time he has seen Liverpool get to a Champions League final then finish second in the Premier League with a record points haul as well as lifting the Champions League. Then the Premier League title followed. For England he's now seen a World Cup semi-final appearance and is now awaiting a European Championships final. He thinks it's all completely normal.

Prepare for the disappointment in the future son, prepare for it.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a slightly younger than myself Cardiff fan.
Over the last 13 years we have been to an FA Cup Final, a League Cup Final and been promoted to the Premier League twice (one of those by winning the league). We've not known anything like it (and when I started supporting Cardiff we finished almost bottom of Division 3!).
And actually also reminds me of some Wales fans who only started following us in 2016 - they've only known us getting to a Euro semi final then and the knockout rounds this time!
I'm somewhat envious of them all to be honest - not having gone through the dark periods!

SteveM70

Established Member

Sort of, although the ref in football can’t ask the VAR for an opinion, which a rugby ref can do (and sometimes does a little bit more than is necessary because it’s the safe option)

It must be weird as a young fan, they probably see going deep into tournaments as completely normal

My kids are like this. They’ve only ever known Halifax Town in their current guise, so in the last 12 years they’ve seen 4 promotions (2 as champions and 2 via the playoffs), 2 failed playoff attempts, an FA trophy win at Wembley, a season of Jamie Vardy tearing it up etc etc. My mate Jim who’s ten years older than me and who’s been following them all his life has seen, well, pretty much exactly the same level of success

Status
Not open for further replies.