• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 027

Anyone else think it's a very poor show that so many England players took off their silver medals only seconds after being presented with them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Real shame that Sancho, Rashford and Saka all missed penalties. All young blokes. Better team won though, both on the night and across the tournament.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Real shame that Sancho, Rashford and Saka all missed penalties. All young blokes. Better team won though, both on the night and across the tournament.

I thought Rashford was clever, sent he keeper the wrong way then didn't hit it right. Sancho and Saka were poor penalties but no one else asked to take one. Pickford did very well in goals.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Southgate put two fresh players on to score penalties. They failed.
His negativity cost us tonight. Sitting back for 87 minutes was never going to work. Hopefully he'll have a good hard look at himself over the coming weeks and learn from his mistakes.

Funny how Sterling didn't step up, given he takes them regularly and spent all game trying to walk the ball in all on his own. He's a very talented player but if he was half as good as he thinks he is he'd be a shoe-in for the Ballon D'or.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Southgate put two fresh players on to score penalties. They failed.
Two players who had a couple of minutes play on the field and would have had no match acclimitisation for the occasion and I have never seen Rashford play at right-back before.. Freshness had nothing to do with it. That did not apply to the final English penalty taker who had far more match time.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
His negativity cost us tonight. Sitting back for 87 minutes was never going to work. Hopefully he'll have a good hard look at himself over the coming weeks and learn from his mistakes.

Looking at the Italy performance, I suspect if we hadn’t been so defensive minded they would have scored a couple more and we’d have lost in 90mins. Just need to accept that sometimes the other team is better, and in this case, Italy were. I think it was a solid achievement to draw the game tbh. Penalties is a lottery and we were simply unlucky.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not according to Southgate who said he had already selected the players who would take the penalties.
He did say in his post-match interview that he accepts responsibility for the loss, as he chose the penalty takers.

However he is also responsible for the tactical set-up of the team, and the lack of game time given to the more attacking-minded players. He did at least select flair players like Grealish and Bellingham in his squad (unlike Glenn Hoddle who selected cloggers like David Batty ahead of Gascoigne and Le Tissier) but then barely gave them any game time. Italy were missing the player of the tournament (Spinazzola) due to injury, but had he been fit he would definitely have played. If he were English, Southgate would have waited until extra time to bring him on.

The myth of cautious pragmatism is holding the England team back, and has done for decades. Southgate, though he has created an admirable unity in the squad, is not going to change that.

Looking at the Italy performance, I suspect if we hadn’t been so defensive minded they would have scored a couple more and we’d have lost in 90mins. Just need to accept that sometimes the other team is better, and in this case, Italy were. I think it was a solid achievement to draw the game tbh. Penalties is a lottery and we were simply unlucky.
I'd rather we'd actually tried to win the game, as opposed to getting an early goal and resting on our laurels. He only made changes once the equaliser came, but we could all see it coming.

Blaming the "lottery" of penalties is a convenient excuse, and glosses over the tactical failings that led to penalties in the first place.

Butts

Veteran Member

I notice the racists have latched onto that online with all three being subjected to abuse. Unfortunate the two "conversions" were by white players opening the doors for the trolls.

As a side point does anyone feel there will be a new "Pizza Advert" or are all the players far to wealthy today ?

You going to volunteer to take one, then?

Ultimately Italy deserved to win on the 120mins before the spot kicks. They’ve been the best team in the tournament, to be fair.

I don't agree that Italy were any better than England. The latter should have pressed home their advantage after the early goal.

They went to sleep in the second half and allowed the Italians back in.

birchesgreen

Established Member
A shame but you have to play well for 90 minutes not 45. I wonder if scoring so early actually was a bad thing for England in hindsight.

daodao

Established Member
World Cup next year. :p
I hope that England does not win a major sporting trophy while the vile Bojo remains PM; just imagine the use he might have made of what would have been an undeserved English victory last night.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A shame but you have to play well for 90 minutes not 45. I wonder if scoring so early actually was a bad thing for England in hindsight.

I spotted two footballing clichés last night

1. You mustn't score too early

and

2. 1-0 is a very dangerous score line

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
However he is also responsible for the tactical set-up of the team, and the lack of game time given to the more attacking-minded players. He did at least select flair players like Grealish and Bellingham in his squad (unlike Glenn Hoddle who selected cloggers like David Batty ahead of Gascoigne and Le Tissier) but then barely gave them any game time. Italy were missing the player of the tournament (Spinazzola) due to injury, but had he been fit he would definitely have played. If he were English, Southgate would have waited until extra time to bring him on.
Whilst he did select players like Grealish and Bellingham in his squad, in the final, the match that mattered, Grealish was only introduced late on in the game and did not contribute much when he was on and Bellingham was ignored and took no part in the final. He persevered with Saka whose contribution was poor whilst Sancho who had played a full season for his German club and was a far more experienced player was overlooked until two minutes before the end of extra time.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I don't agree that Italy were any better than England. The latter should have pressed home their advantage after the early goal.

They went to sleep in the second half and allowed the Italians back in.

Mancini is far more experienced as a manager that Southgate and the changes he effected to the Italian team after 45 minutes was the reason why Italy totally dominated the next 45 minutes. Italy were far better in midfield as the game progressed and that is the reason why the match statistics showed that Italy had a large percentage of possession over the total match period.

It is claimed that Harry Kane is a world-class centre forward, but in the match, ask yourself how many times did he make his presence felt in the Italian penalty area against two world-class centre backs who were respectively six and eight years older than him in their mid-30s.

Penalties are something that affect players, as was proved that after each side had players who normally score penalties who then went on to miss.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"Football" decided to come home (to watch the match, as the song lyrics say) but after the penalty shoot-out, it decided to go back where it had come from.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveM70

Established Member
I don't agree that Italy were any better than England. The latter should have pressed home their advantage after the early goal

Italy 65% possession and 19 shots to England’s 6; 6 shots on target to England’s 2. The numbers say they were better.

It felt like a non-league team against a league team in an FA cup game who score early, defend stoutly, but eventually get found out.

England were lucky to take it to penalties, and unlucky when it came to taking them

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lets face it up until yesterday (with the Germany match a noticeable exception) England weren't really tested that much.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lets face it up until yesterday (with the Germany match a noticeable exception) England weren't really tested that much.
Glad to see someone has highlighted that matter and incidentally, how many matches did England play at home in their own national stadium?

Another query from one of the England songs......What were "the three lions on the shirt" doing to affect the result of the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Big up to both Goalkeepers who I thought were very good in the shootout. Obviously Donnarumma is the larger of the two but Pickford did especially well with the save from Jorginho. It was Pickford 2 - 2 Donnarumma with one on the Beans :(

I predict Turkey 0 Italy 3 tonight. Also predict Italy will win the whole thing

Also a Big up to @tommy2215 who predicted the above before the first game of the tournament :)

prod_pep

Established Member
Delighted for Italy who were undoubtedly the best team in the tournament and, unlike England, did it the hard way by beating world number ones Belgium and a much-improved Spain along the way. Completely deserved winners.

Italy's squad depth is remarkable and while Mancini was never afraid to make changes, Southgate froze and his penalty subs and choice of takers were disastrous. I feel for Saka who should have been nowhere near that fifth penalty, whilst Sterling was conspicuous by his absence in the shootout.

It's hard to imagine England ever having an easier route to winning a major tournament and they still mucked it up.

westv

Established Member
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"Football" decided to come home (to watch the match, as the song lyrics say) but after the penalty shoot-out, it decided to go back where it had come from.
Well actually it came home in 1996. :p :D

birchesgreen

Established Member
Putting on those two blokes in about the 118th minute for penalties was a mistake, i don't think Sancho touched the ball before his penalty kick.

Oh well at least only got a year before we can go through all this heartbreak again!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Obviously disappointing and I do think that Southgate made some tactical errors which probably cost us in terms of how they played, especially in the second half and who got the nod to take penalties. Obviously there's an element of who stood up and offered to take one (you don't want to send someone out there who has no desire at all to take it even though I'm sure all of them would rather be anywhere else!) but still even with the five he had chosen/volunteered it seemed strange to send the 19 year old out to take what was always likely to be the decisive penalty. Given those resources I'd have been tempted to give Kane the first (captain leads the way), Maguire the fifth (warmed up and got his eye in) and the other three the middle penalties. But hey, I'm just a keyboard warrior. Do think Pickford deserves some credit though as well. Pulling off one save in a shoot-out usually feels amazing but managing two is remarkable.

Looking forward to the World Cup now. This is still one heck of an England team and, as long as it's well managed and given a bit of time, you'd hope that they'll come back stronger and more hungry for success next year for the World Cup.

Meanwhile it's extremely disappointing to see that some England fans immediately start the racist abuse of these players and this team. Almost as disappointing ss that it's not even surprising that it's happened.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Pickford's saves got us to the penalty shootout, good keeper. His facial expressions when ranting at his defence are also hilarious.

There is a theory that the 4th penalty is the most vital not the 5th, there was that shootout awhile ago where Ronaldo was due to take the 5th but he never got the chance because they'd already lost. In the end it just comes down to who has the bottle.

Last edited:

tommy2215

Also a Big up to @tommy2215 who predicted the above before the first game of the tournament :)
Thank you! I knew I should've put money on it...

In fairness to Southgate he has taken us further than any manager for many years (reached the semis in the 2018 world cup, final in 2020 euros) despite a pretty young English side. We are making steady progress.

westv

Established Member
Thank you! I knew I should've put money on it...

In fairness to Southgate he has taken us further than any manager for many years (reached the semis in the 2018 world cup, final in 2020 euros) despite a pretty young English side. We are making steady progress.
I think by getting to a consecutive semi final and a final there's only one manager that has done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.