• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Really doesn’t look good in Denmark. Hopefully it ends positively.

The BBC pundits all looked visibly shaken.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
That was the worst thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. The zoomed shot of his eyes was horrible. Praying that Eriksen is ok.

JamesT

Established Member
Not good. Match abandoned, presumably?

UEFA have tweeted that the match has been suspended. I believe the default position is they would come back tomorrow and attempt to play the remaining minutes of the match, though I'm not sure whether anyone is going to be at all ready to play again after having watched that.

That was the worst thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. The zoomed shot of his eyes was horrible. Praying that Eriksen is ok.

It was horrible. The local TV director should really have known better than to focus the camera when it was clear how serious the situation was. The BBC probably should have cut away to the studio quicker (as apparently some other broadcasters did).

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just seen a tweet from UEFA saying he is stable and was conscious when taken off the pitch, with an official pic.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This is bad...

Christian Eriksen collapsed towards the end of the first half of Denmark v Finland. Medics in attendance.

Thoughts go out to all of Denmark and especially the Eriksen family. I don't pray but I'm hoping for good news.

Reports from the danish fa say eriksen is in hospital in a stable condition.

That is fantastic news.

Darandio

Established Member
They have also confirmed the game will continue soon at the players request.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There is no way pictures of cpr should have been broadcast nor pictures of the poor mans distraught wife. They wont show a streaker but will show that!

Darandio

Established Member
Why have ITV changed their schedule tonight. They have tipping point on instead of the Belgian v Russia match build up.

7:30pm now. At the time the ITV broadcast was due to start there was no confirmation that there was a game to broadcast!

There is no way pictures of cpr should have been broadcast nor pictures of the poor mans distraught wife. They wont show a streaker but will show that!

Agreed, BBC should have taken it back to the studio earlier. Though I did see a lot of hate directed towards them in regards to camera angles and zooming which was completely uncalled for, they aren't the broadcaster.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Why have ITV changed their schedule tonight. They have tipping point on instead of the Belgian v Russia match build up.
Random half hour filler at short notice. Presumably they were planning on showing highlights of the Denmark v Finland game beforehand, and now aren't / haven't.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Glad to see it’s positive news coming from Copenhagen. It is surreal to now see them playing again after the last 2 hours.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@Darandio

Agreed: The bbc dont "own" the pictures on the world feed. They do own what they show and should have gone back to the studio much earlier than they did. I can only assume the pundits werent in a good place to broadcast

I honestly thought i had seen a man die. Awful. Superb that positive news is coming through.

The danish captain was first on scene, cleared the airway and started cpr. Well done that man

On Moderation
I honestly thought i had seen a man die. Awful. Superb that positive news is coming through.
Likewise. Though if it's going to happen, then in a modern stadium in a first world country at a major tournament is probably the best place for it to happen, as the medical facilities are top class.

The danish captain was first on scene, cleared the airway and started cpr. Well done that man
Yep. And top marks to Kasper Schmeichel and the other Danish players who formed a protective shield around Eriksen to protect him from the worst of the cameras' attention.

tommy2215

This is a horrific night for Denmark. Erikson collapsing was an awful moment itself, but now a loss to a team much lower ranked than them including a missed penalty has been added on top. I feel so so bad for Christen Eriksen.

Geezertronic

Established Member
This is a horrific night for Denmark. Erikson collapsing was an awful moment itself, but now a loss to a team much lower ranked than them including a missed penalty has been added on top. I feel so so bad for Christen Eriksen.
And it would have been Eriksen himself who would have taken the penalty

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Appears to be the players' own decision to resume. Presumably following news that Eriksen is stable.
So long as Denmark weren't coerced into continuing (I see no evidence they were) then their decision should be both welcome and respected.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And it would have been Eriksen himself who would have taken the penalty
It was however a very soft penalty, though one that no VAR panel on Earth would overrule.

Massively relieved that it didn't turn out as serious as it initially appeared (though still obviously a traumatic experience for all involved). I do think questions need to be asked of (a) the operators of the Master feed to the media; and (b) the BBC's decision not to cut back to the studio sooner. As @DarloRich suggests, perhaps the pundits themselves were affected by what was happening, and that's understandable. So those questions can wait.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Should Christian Eriksen have his own thread? Pray he will recover from last night's awful event.

In other news, I think England may hold Croatia, but realistically Hrvatska are still a very strong team. Not that we're not, but I think we won't hold much of a candle to the absolute best Europe has to offer.

Darandio

Established Member
In other news, I think England may hold Croatia, but realistically Hrvatska are still a very strong team. Not that we're not, but I think we won't hold much of a candle to the absolute best Europe has to offer.

For me it all depends how we approach it. We cannot just play three at the back rely on set pieces like we did in 2018, although with Maguire probably still out we'll probably just play two holding midfielders instead and sit on the back foot.

What we really need to do is utilise our strengths which is up top, only use Rice as a holding midfielder and make sure both Grealish and Foden start.

Just as I post that the team news comes in. Rice and Phillips holding with Trippier shoehorned in at left back. Arguably our most creative player in Grealish left out. Yawn.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For me it all depends how we approach it. We cannot just play three at the back rely on set pieces like we did in 2018, although with Maguire probably still out we'll probably just play two holding midfielders instead and sit on the back foot.

What we really need to do is utilise our strengths which is up top, only use Rice as a holding midfielder and make sure both Grealish and Foden start.

Just as I post that the team news comes in. Rice and Phillips holding with Trippier shoehorned in at left back. Arguably our most creative player in Grealish left out. Yawn.

That’s pretty much how I feel about it too. Being extremely cautious isn’t going to work for England, I just hope that Southgate doesn’t set up the team in the way that I’m (very) worried that he will.

Darandio

Established Member
That’s pretty much how I feel about it too. Being extremely cautious isn’t going to work for England, I just hope that Southgate doesn’t set up the team in the way that I’m (very) worried that he will.

Of course it won't work, it never does. I just cannot fathom Trippier getting in ahead of Shaw and Chilwell at left back. Shaw has had his best season at Man Utd and Chilwell has been pivotal for Chelsea since Tuchel arrived. Bizarre but not unexpected because I truly believe that Southgate is tactically inept not just at this level, but any.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone daring to make a prediction..? ;)
I’ll stick my head above the parapet and go for a frustrating 1-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.