• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Assuming you're having the county side as your equivalent of Scotland, that to me seems like saying you think Scotland are goimg to flatten England, given England's recent test performances

Cricket wise Scotland have from there!

You cant win as an England fan: Confident = arrogant, try to talk up the other team = condescending.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Emberassing performance from England, Southgate is such an average manager. Just terrible. Full credit to Scotland though, sadly for them their strikers are awful at finishing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Emberassing performance from England, Southgate is such an average manager. Just terrible. Full credit to Scotland though, sadly for them their strikers are awful at finishing.

That much sums it up for me.

Darandio

Established Member
Just edged an even game against Croatia. Anti-football against Scotland. It's painful to watch.

Yet I wouldn't be surprised if we luck our way to the semi's and it turns to 'Arise Sir Gareth' again with a contract extension. Then another couple of tournaments of mediocraty.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
England played the game Scotland wanted. We were too cautious, ponderous, every bloody ball was sideways and there as no penetration. We made a set of very average players look good. Kane did nothing. Sterling did nothing. Poor.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
The thought of Phillips and Rice in midfield going up against Pogba and Kante terrifies me. We won't get that far based on current showings but wow our midfield is so average.

Also is it me or does Kane look injured and really slow?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we’re fairly easy to frustrate... As far as it goes with Southgate I think he should be involved with England as he’s done a lot that’s right over the years and is clearly an intelligent person that has a good relationship with the players, but managing the team on the pitch just quite his forte and he needs someone more tactically adept alongside him.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Some calm and propotionality please. You are more than likely through to the knockouts. Yes the performance wasn't great and there were some questionable managerial decisions (why on earth did he take Foden off?). But the job is likely done for now.

Compare the reaction here to England having one decent performance getting 3 points and one poor one getting 1 point with the same happening for Wales. No need to over react, though maybe the reaction is partly down to unrealistic expectations?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Some calm and propotionality please. You are more than likely through to the knockouts. Yes the performance wasn't great and there were some questionable managerial decisions (why on earth did he take Foden off?). But the job is likely done for now.

Compare the reaction here to England having one decent performance getting 3 points and one poor one getting 1 point with the same happening for Wales. No need to over react, though maybe the reaction is partly down to unrealistic expectations?
Or entirely realistic expectations, given the respective populations and histories of our two footballing nations?

Though as a Huddersfield Town supporter first and foremost, the Welsh position (that of the "underdog") is somewhat more familiar and comfortable for me!

HST274

Maybe but Wales go into a tournament wanting to do well with relatively low expectations, we go in with inflated hopes to win it. We couldn't beat Netherlands let alone France with either of those performances in my opinion and as we are expected to win (however realistic) the backlash on the manager is expected after a bad performance.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It was one flat game against a better-than-credited opposition. The two teams effectively cancelled each other out. Every team has games like it. Both teams deservedly got a point, in a way I’m pleased to see Scotland in with a chance of qualification going into the last group game. The next game will be different, onwards and upwards.

(I really think we have a size/height issue in midfield. Sterling and Foden against a big burly Scottish back line was amusing really. I imagine Southgate would have played Henderson if he wasn’t injured.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting to note how little injury time was allotted at the end of each half. Probably the least I’ve seen in a game of this importance for years actually.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interesting to note how little injury time was allotted at the end of each half. Probably the least I’ve seen in a game of this importance for years actually.
I've noticed in a few games that the number has gone up at the end, then the final whistle has been blown before the allotted time has passed (according to the TV broadcast). Admittedly one of those games was the delayed Denmark Finland match, where such things were probably not at the forefront of anyone's mind.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Scotland v Croatia match is something that Croatia will hope to redress the results on their first two matches that ended exactly the same as Scotland in one defeat and one draw and they usually play with a lot of pride. There are only a small number of third group stage places "up for grabs" so this will be in the minds of both those two teams managers. Scotland have one point from two games, but have yet to score a goal, whereas Croatia have scored a goal.

England played the game Scotland wanted. We were too cautious, ponderous, every bloody ball was sideways and there as no penetration. We made a set of very average players look good. Kane did nothing. Sterling did nothing. Poor.
Just my personal feelings on the England centre-forward position, which are:-

Harry Kane
Age 28, but looks like 38

Domenic Calvert-Lewin
Age 24, but looks like 21

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I am afraid I have to disagree.

I don't expect England to win the tournament. We wont. We aren't good enough. What I do expect is for us to be able to find a way past one of the lowest ranked teams in the competition who have, at best, championship level players. (Robertson & Tierney apart) We should have 6 points and not have to bother about Tuesday night. Instead we put in a really poor performance which lacked speed, penetration and verve. We were far to cautious. We passed the ball nicely sideways/backwards all night and offered nothing. It was depressing.

There is nothing in that Scotland team to worry about yet we gave them the kind of respect we might for a team like Brazil. There is nothing to be scared of in that Scotland side. There are no goals in them. It was just so frustrating. I don't mind caution against sides that are better than us but Scotland aren't. The plan was clearly to score early and force Scotland to open up. When that didn't happen we had no plan b despite all the good players we have on the field and bench. We had no ideas how to play through or round a solid but bang average Scotland side.

Kane looked off the pace and knackered. He had one chance to run on and couldn't. Looked like he was running through tar. Sterling was anonymous. Both should have been off at half time. Why we played two defensive midfielders against that side is baffling. Neither fullback got into the game. Odd substitutions and times. One shot on target. Gilmour was man of the match ffs! That isn't good enough.

As for Wales they are a solid well organised side, lifted by Bale and Ramsey to a higher level than they otherwise would be. I have been very impressed with them. The Italy game will be hard but the job should have been done.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Scotland v Croatia match is something that Croatia will hope to redress the results on their first two matches that ended in defeats and they usually play with a lot of pride. There are only a small number of third group stage places "up for grabs" so this will be in the minds of both those two teams managers. Scotland have one point from two games, but have yet to score a goal.

Just my personal feelings on the England centre-forward position, which are:-

Harry Kane
Age 28, but looks like 38

Domenic Calvert-Lewin
Age 24, but looks like 21
A point of order, the Croatia v Czechia game yesterday finished in a 1-1 draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.