• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It is silly comparing playing results these days with what happened 30 or 50 years ago as the type of football, the match fitness training regimes, the type of footballs used, etc, bear no comparison to the current time period.

I think there'll be differences again in a further 20-30 years' time, but not ss profound as in the last generation.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How did England football teams get the idea of "Three Lions" as a symbol when lions have not been an indigenous species in England? Is it true that "Three Lions" is a Royal Symbol and permission has to be sought to make use of it?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
How did England football teams get the idea of "Three Lions" as a symbol when lions have not been an indigenous species in England? Is it true that "Three Lions" is a Royal Symbol and permission has to be sought to make use of it?
Presumably the same reason lions are popular heraldic symbols: they're considered a noble, majestic and fearless beast. The fact that in nature it is the lionesses that do the majority of the hunting (while the males laze about akin to their domestic cousins) doesn't seem that important! :lol:

The national football team of Cameroon has a better claim for lions as a symbol, but "Three Hedgehogs on a shirt/Jules Rimet still gleaming" doesn't have the same ring to it.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Basically yes. Its from the Royal arms of England that date back to Richard I for its use in England and even further back for its use in Normandy (obviously modern day France).
Its used by the Cricket team too, and has multiple other uses over the country (also used for some town / council emblems too).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Basically yes. Its from the Royal arms of England that date back to Richard I for its use in England and even further back for its use in Normandy (obviously modern day France).
Its used by the Cricket team too, and has multiple other uses over the country (also used for some town / council emblems too).
I should be ashamed, being the age that I am, not to have remembered that the reverse of the last issue of the English shilling coin had the three lions symbol upon them... :oops:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Absolutely never a penalty

I’ve seen lesser penalties given. I do agree it was soft, but then the ref didn’t give a penalty earlier in the game when Kane went down in the box with the Denmark player clearly taking the man not the ball. VAR didn’t overrule that either, but on balance I think we deserved a penalty for one or the other. I do wonder if the ref realised this.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’ve seen lesser penalties given. I do agree it was soft, but then the ref didn’t give a penalty earlier in the game when Kane went down in the box with the Denmark player clearly taking the man not the ball. VAR didn’t overrule that either, but on balance I think we deserved a penalty for one or the other. I do wonder if the ref realised this.
I think if there had only been contact from one of the two defenders, Sterling would have stayed on his feet and the pen wouldn't have been given. The contact from both, coupled with the speed Sterling was travelling at, caused him to go down. The earlier one on Kane looked more like a dive than Sterling's did, and we know Kane does have that in his locker.

scotrail158713

Established Member
In reference to what I posted last night, below is an example of the "baggage" I can't stand.

Penalty? No penalty? Does anyone care? #bbceuro2020 #ENG
(A video clip of the challenge also features)

The BBC Sport Twitter account really should be neutral, but instead we get an English bias to it. I'd even accept a tweet like the above if it was from something like the Peter Crouch podcast for example, as that's heavily focused on English football.

Take nothing away from England though, they were the better team on the night and any team that gets to their first major final in 55 years deserves credit.

Geezertronic

Established Member
In reference to what I posted last night, below is an example of the "baggage" I can't stand.

(A video clip of the challenge also features)

The BBC Sport Twitter account really should be neutral, but instead we get an English bias to it. I'd even accept a tweet like the above if it was from something like the Peter Crouch podcast for example, as that's heavily focused on English football.

Take nothing away from England though, they were the better team on the night and any team that gets to their first major final in 55 years deserves credit.

I would hope that the BBC Sport Twitter account would be equally as supportive of the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams (and all sports people therein) if they were in a similar situation

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If Scotland were in the final, I'm sure there would be just as much hype from BBC Scotland.

At least the Italians will feel at home over the weekend, plenty of grappa to be made from all the sour grapes from across the Tweed and Severn. :lol:

scotrail158713

Established Member
I would hope that the BBC Sport Twitter account would be equally as supportive of the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish teams (and all sports people therein) if they were in a similar situation
Indeed, as would I. I think the phrase that gets me is the "Does anyone care?" - em yes! You're a British account not English.
If Scotland were in the final, I'm sure there would be just as much hype from BBC Scotland.
I've emboldened the crucial part to that - BBC Scotland. Would that be the default broadcast down south? I think Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly at the weekend on Off the Ball - Scotland and Wales must be in the unique position of having qualified for a major tournament and the default coverage they get is from the perspective of another country.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly at the weekend on Off the Ball - Scotland and Wales must be in the unique position of having qualified for a major tournament and the default coverage they get is from the perspective of another country.
Absolutely agree.
A great example is how Denmark were presented in the match against Wales compared to how they were presented for the match against England.
For the Wales game they were presented as the underdogs who had beaten the odds to get through what they had and as the neutrals favourite etc etc. And whilst there were a couple of mentions of Eriksen and what sadly happened to him for the England match, the story of them being the neutrals favourite and the team everyone was gunning for had totally disappeared.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Absolutely agree.
A great example is how Denmark were presented in the match against Wales compared to how they were presented for the match against England.
For the Wales game they were presented as the underdogs who had beaten the odds to get through what they had and as the neutrals favourite etc etc. And whilst there were a couple of mentions of Eriksen and what sadly happened to him for the England match, the story of them being the neutrals favourite and the team everyone was gunning for had totally disappeared.
Not forgetting that Denmark had lost their first two matches in their group stage.

tommy2215

Today at Coventry station I heard a couple of announcements recorded by the one and only John Motson..... wish the BBC would ask him to commentate the final since its such a special occasion for England!

Butts

Veteran Member
Indeed, as would I. I think the phrase that gets me is the "Does anyone care?" - em yes! You're a British account not English.

I've emboldened the crucial part to that - BBC Scotland. Would that be the default broadcast down south? I think Michael Stewart summed it up perfectly at the weekend on Off the Ball - Scotland and Wales must be in the unique position of having qualified for a major tournament and the default coverage they get is from the perspective of another country.

I prefer the "English" Broadcasts rather than the "mickey mouse" versions up here full of no marks.

Established Member
I wonder what the English FA might be looking at in the way of punishment because of the actions of some of their so-called supporters?

They didn't bother punishing Man City when they blatantly flouted the rules, so unfortunately, I expect they won't do anything here either.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They didn't bother punishing Man City when they blatantly flouted the rules, so unfortunately, I expect they won't do anything here either.
I think in this instance, it concerned settling off flares, booing during the national anthem of both Denmark and Germany and the actions of the utter idiot who shone a laser pen beam into the face of the Danish goalkeeper as he was about to face a penalty from Harry Kane.

Established Member
I think in this instance, it concerned settling off flares, booing during the national anthem of both Denmark and Germany and the actions of the utter idiot who shone a laser pen beam into the face of the Danish goalkeeper as he was about to face a penalty from Harry Kane.

So I believe.

I still doubt the FA will bother punishing the parties concerned.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

Flares = No longer the done thing, but still common in some countries
Booing = mildly poor fan behaviour, hardly criminal
Laser pen = deserving of lifetime ban from all football-related premises

No doubt there will be a fine imposes on the FA for the combined ‘offences’ but the only real issue in my book is the laser which could have seriously injured Schmeichel. Tbh rather than the booing, the FA would be better trying to stamp out the persistent ‘no surrender’ lyric that routinely appears between the third and fourth lines of our own national anthem, due to its anti-Irish (ie racist) sentiment.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well we should have a different anthem as we play as England not the UK national team. But thats a whole other debate...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Absolutely agree.
If the BBC had treated Wales as the underdogs (which they were in reality, as demonstrated by the scoreline) there would have been accusations of patronisation. They can't win either way.

Established Member
It is not the English FA who will be handing out the punishments, it will be them who are facing the punishment from the organising power behind the Euro 2020 tournament.

You're quite right, I misread what you posted.

My apologies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well we should have a different anthem as we play as England not the UK national team. But thats a whole other debate...

Personally I would just scrap the playing of national anthems - they just bring out the worst in some spectators and most of the players don't seem to bother even singing them properly.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Personally I would just scrap the playing of national anthems - they just bring out the worst in some spectators and most of the players don't seem to bother even singing them properly.
At least in football in Europe they only do the anthem(s) in international or prestigious games... none of this rabid patriotism as seen in the US, where they do the anthems before every NFL game*... especially as most if not all the elite leagues in the US also include teams from Canada.

*and then get annoyed when it inevitably gets used for political purposes :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.