• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UEFA EURO 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
"Football" decided to come home (to watch the match, as the song lyrics say) but after the penalty shoot-out, it decided to go back where it had come from.
I remember reading somewhere (possibly a 'Shoot!' annual when I was a kid) that the Italian name for football (calcio) comes from an uncodified version of modern associated football that had been played there for at least as long as the uncodified version played in England prior to the rules being formalised... so there's an argument that football actually did go home (or at least went to stay at its holiday home on the Med for a while) last night!

Pickford's saves got us to the penalty shootout, good keeper. His facial expressions when ranting at his defence are also hilarious.

There is a theory that the 4th penalty is the most vital not the 5th, there was that shootout awhile ago where Ronaldo was due to take the 5th but he never got the chance because they'd already lost. In the end it just comes down to who has the bottle.
I've also noticed a trend that the first team to miss, if that miss comes in the first or second penalties, quite often goes on to win.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Obviously disappointing and I do think that Southgate made some tactical errors which probably cost us in terms of how they played, especially in the second half and who got the nod to take penalties. Obviously there's an element of who stood up and offered to take one (you don't want to send someone out there who has no desire at all to take it even though I'm sure all of them would rather be anywhere else!) but still even with the five he had chosen/volunteered it seemed strange to send the 19 year old out to take what was always likely to be the decisive penalty. Given those resources I'd have been tempted to give Kane the first (captain leads the way), Maguire the fifth (warmed up and got his eye in) and the other three the middle penalties. But hey, I'm just a keyboard warrior. Do think Pickford deserves some credit though as well. Pulling off one save in a shoot-out usually feels amazing but managing two is remarkable.

Looking forward to the World Cup now. This is still one heck of an England team and, as long as it's well managed and given a bit of time, you'd hope that they'll come back stronger and more hungry for success next year for the World Cup.

Meanwhile it's extremely disappointing to see that some England fans immediately start the racist abuse of these players and this team. Almost as disappointing ss that it's not even surprising that it's happened.
I think if you went back to the Iceland match in the wake of the Brexit vote, and said that in 4 years time the team would reach the final and bring the country together, most fans would have bitten your arm off :) Hopefully they can build on the experience for the World Cup.

al78

Established Member
Meanwhile it's extremely disappointing to see that some England fans immediately start the racist abuse of these players and this team.
But not surprising at all. The UK is full of filth like this, and football seems to bring out the worst, like slugs in a wet summer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think if you went back to the Iceland match in the wake of the Brexit vote, and said that in 4 years time the team would reach the final and bring the country together, most fans would have bitten your arm off :) Hopefully they can build on the experience for the World Cup.
Let us not fool ourselves. We did not test ourselves out in matches against the better European teams such as Belgium or Spain and were found out, possession wise, by Italy. In the World Cup, teams such as Argentina and Brazil lie in wait.

Tazi Hupefi

But not surprising at all. The UK is full of filth like this, and football seems to bring out the worst, like slugs in a wet summer.
As someone non-white here and ticking several of the minority boxes, and someone who remembers the bad old days, your statement is fundamentally not true.

"The UK is full of filth like this"

Actually, a tiny, tiny, and usually totally insignificant proportion of the UK are "like this". Certainly not full of people like that at all. The idiots who are still around are largely just mouth, which is still preferable (although unacceptable nevertheless), to their counterparts in the 80s and early 90s who were just violent thugs who would (and occasionally did) set out to cause real physical harm.

I don't think football is even the major factor, it's just a common link- it's the excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs in my view.

Geezertronic

Established Member

Quite a broad statement - incorrect of course unless you have stats to suggest that the UK is indeed "full of filth like this"

As someone non-white here and ticking several of the minority boxes, and someone who remembers the bad old days, your statement is fundamentally not true.

Actually, a tiny, tiny, and usually totally insignificant proportion of the UK are "like this". Certainly not full of people like that at all. The idiots who are still around are largely just mouth, which is still preferable (although unacceptable nevertheless), to their counterparts in the 80s and early 90s who were just violent thugs who would (and occasionally did) set out to cause real physical harm.

I don't think football is even the major factor, it's just a common link- it's the excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs in my view.

There always appears to be a minority of idiotic morons who ruin it for normal people - keyboard warriors who dim-wittingly think that they can say what they like from behind a keyboard but who would not say boo to a goose if confronted. Agreeing & disagreeing is part of life, attacking someone based on their race is just abhorrent. I don't think alcohol & drugs should even come into it

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

This is a prime example of the old adage "empty vessels make the most noise".*

I do wonder if the best response to these racist sentiments would be to ignore them. But then that's easy for me to say as a white guy.

*= also, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I think UEFA won't look kindly on storming the stadium at all and I expect some punishments for that to come out of the woodwork once the online racist abuse response has calmed down.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think UEFA won't look kindly on storming the stadium at all and I expect some punishments for that to come out of the woodwork once the online racist abuse response has calmed down.
It could have repercussions in the matter of England not being considered for hosting future events as this last one, as other countries have large capacity national stadiums..

Spartacus

Established Member

There certainly seems to be something fundamentally different going on these days.

Like you say, we're obviously not looking at the same romping stomping racists that were at the forefront 35 years ago or more, when I remember NF adorned most street walls somewhere, or those who think 'black guys shouldn't play for England', as I've found most of them moan into their beer about it no matter the result, or even those who don't harbour racist sentiments but use racist terms to try and put the opposition off the same way they might shout about another's hair or whatever.

These are little minded people who are having a go at their own players, who are almost certainly fans of teams who have prominent black players. All I can think is that they're so small minded that they aren't able to understand the basic intricacies of the game they claim to follow, so go for what they see as the easiest answer, race, and that somehow instantly satisfies them so they don't have to work out football's not like a game of FIFA, which if they'd got a braincell between them they'd know.

On Moderation
Have to say I am really impressed with Tyronne Mings calling out the vile Priti Patel on Twitter

You don’t get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as ‘Gesture Politics’ & then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we’re campaigning against, happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
With regards to Marcus Rashford, whose mural remembering his efforts to ensure schoolchildren of all colours received a proper meal even in school holidays was defaced, the local community ensured the defacement was covered over and messages of support and heart symbols were then placed over the area.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I notice the racists have latched onto that online with all three being subjected to abuse. Unfortunate the two "conversions" were by white players opening the doors for the trolls.
So it's not just the Bulgarian "supporters"....:'(

Certainly not condoning this, but rushing the gates at Wembley is nothing new, how about the 1923 ("White Horse") FA Cup Final anyone? :rolleyes:

View attachment 99547

Photo of 1923 FA Cup Final at Wembley. Source: Wikipedia.
Did anyone spot the person who was not wearing a police helmet, a trilby, a flat cap or a cap?...He's looking straight at you.

Let's not forget that when Three Lions first came out "football's coming home" referred to the fact that it had been 30 years since a major tournament in the birthplace of association football.
So, 30 years ago, "football" came home, But to sing that song in 2021, "football" must have decided to go to a country where the national team actually won either a World Cup, a European championship or the Copa America, for a well-earned 30 year break from English national team football, which many England supporters wished they too had followed suit.

Also another "thought for the day" regarding songs dedicated to the England football team. If someone, being totally fed up and suffering from "Covid-19 cabin fever" decided to go on a safari-type holiday in an animal viewing complex, woke up in the middle of the night to find he had three lions on his shirt, what would be the best course of action that he could take?

Last edited:

AngelRoad

Just caught up on this thread and really heartened by everyone’s take on the racism since the match, Im not a person of colour either but totally abhor racism, indeed all prejudice, their is just no excuse for it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Have to say I am really impressed with Tyronne Mings calling out the vile Priti Patel on Twitter

This was the posting about Priti Patel that I made reference to. It is a known fact that what I said about her generational family and how certain people in India are viewed. Note that I have to be most careful how I phrase any posting that relates to cultural and religious beliefs either in Britain or in other countries. I did not call anyone "vile".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This was the posting about Priti Patel that I made reference to. It is a known fact that what I said about her generational family and how certain people in India are viewed. Note that I have to be most careful how I phrase any posting that relates to cultural and religious beliefs either in Britain or in other countries. I did not call anyone "vile".

This has nothing to do with the point raised. Patel and Johnson are hypocrites. We know they are. You know they. Hell, even they know they are.

They have been rightly shown up.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it’s probably time to wrap this thread up soon, so if anyone’s get any more comments relating to the tournament then get them in soon please.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A really fun tournament. England did really well, taught us older fans that we can keep and move the ball well and play in a continental style. We didn't quite get over the line but there were a lot of positives and we actually got to a final which is something I thought I would never see.

I have been very impressed with the character and standards set both personally and professionally by the squad and management. They really brought us together and are a collection of fine young men we should all be proud of.

Geezertronic

Established Member
The UEFA team of the tournament has been announced containing three England players - Harry Maguire, Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling.

Harry Maguire missed the first couple of games but his subsequent performances put him in contention. Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling were consistent performers and deserve their places

Uefa Team of the Tournament: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy); Kyle Walker (England), Leonardo Bonucci (Italy), Harry Maguire (England), Leonardo Spinazzola (Italy); Jorginho (Italy), Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Denmark), Pedri (Spain); Federico Chiesa (Italy), Romelu Lukaku (Belgium), Raheem Sterling (England)

No arguments from me.

scotrail158713

Established Member
The UEFA team of the tournament has been announced containing three England players - Harry Maguire, Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling.

Harry Maguire missed the first couple of games but his subsequent performances put him in contention. Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling were consistent performers and deserve their places

Uefa Team of the Tournament: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy); Kyle Walker (England), Leonardo Bonucci (Italy), Harry Maguire (England), Leonardo Spinazzola (Italy); Jorginho (Italy), Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Denmark), Pedri (Spain); Federico Chiesa (Italy), Romelu Lukaku (Belgium), Raheem Sterling (England)

No arguments from me.
Decent team that definitely. Very fair based on the performances I saw.

(Maguire almost deserves his inclusion for his penalty alone :D)

prod_pep

Established Member
Chiellini over Maguire and arguably Ronaldo or Kane ahead of Lukaku would by my only changes.

Speaking as an outsider - I'm not an England fan - I think they have had kind draws at the last two major tournaments and with all their games but one at home this time, conditions could hardly have been more favourable. Southgate claims to have chosen the penalty takers and got it wrong, simple as that. It doesn't take a footballing expert to realise asking a 19-year-old relative newbie to take the fifth penalty in a major final, his first ever penalty at senior level, is a strange decision.

I don't see England coming close at the next World Cup, despite the optimism. They won't get a better chance for decades than Euro 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.