• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugliest Train in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. They're generally horrible inside, especially with the original low-back seats, but the Mk. 3 units that followed looked worse and more old-fashioned. This is especially the case with the original Class 317 window design, and the early 317/455 front end. The 321 front was a big improvement, though.

The layout is pretty rubbish, yes. It's a shame the original PEP layout was not retained as that had seats aligned to the windows.

You could do an aligned layout, though - side-facing against the door panels then a bay against each window. A bit late in their life now though :)

I really like the late 70s / 80s multiple unit aesthetic, with the flat cab and sloping roofline. The 313s, 314s, 507s and 318s are all great examples of this - so are half the 317s.

Then you've got the other half of the 317s, that look like someone's carved chunks out of the roof above the cab.

And then there's... the 455s. Just... what happened here? Who decided to replace the BR 'flat' MK 3 cab ends with this monstrosity?

640px-455801_London_Victoria_September_2016.jpg

The ugliest train in the UK almost certainly got to be the new Stadler Flirts for Greater Anglia. The front looks ugly and so do the articulated bogies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really like the late 70s / 80s multiple unit aesthetic, with the flat cab and sloping roofline. The 313s, 314s, 507s and 318s are all great examples of this - so are half the 317s.

Then you've got the other half of the 317s, that look like someone's carved chunks out of the roof above the cab.

And then there's... the 455s. Just... what happened here? Who decided to replace the BR 'flat' MK 3 cab ends with this monstrosity?

It contains an air conditioning unit for the cab, so is a purely practical change.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I said 142's, yes I think they're ugly but I think I shouldn't have omitted the 141's,, they really are munters!!
141s as built were pretty ugly, but the facelifted fronts actually looked worse in my opinion. Removal of all the pipes just revealed the horrible shape that was previously hidden.

A bit like if Brian Blessed had a shave!

fowler9

Established Member
141s as built were pretty ugly, but the facelifted fronts actually looked worse in my opinion. Removal of all the pipes just revealed the horrible shape that was previously hidden.

A bit like if Brian Blessed had a shave!
If Brian Blessed had a shave. Ha ha. Love it. Have multiple likes from me. "Gordon's alive!" .

BRX

Established Member
Class 70 hands down. It doesn't look good from any angle
Like almost everyone I thought they were the ugliest monster ever designed when I first saw them. However now that I've got used to them I quite like them. They have a kind of brutal look but that doesn't seem wrong for a heavy freight loco. They look (and sound) like they mean business. Compare with a 68 which is over-styled and seems to take more from car design than any railway heritage. I'm getting used to them too but I think they are overly fussy. They have tried to disguise a brutish diesel loco by making it look like a bloated people carrier. The class 70 on the other hand is what it is. Especially once they get a bit grimy they look like a real loco. Colas livery looks good on them, better than the freightliner one that introduces superfluous curves.

physics34

Established Member

messy rather than ugly. The grille where the door was is for the drivers air con unit

Mikey C

Established Member
messy rather than ugly. The grille where the door was is for the drivers air con unit

Messy AND ugly. I'm baffled how people can think stock like the Voyagers or 360s are uglier than this.

gazr

A contender for me is the Welsh 153's. Not sure if all of them, but the window with the destination blind covered so it looks like the train is winking in some creepy way! Fugly as f.

Buggleskelly

I just don't understand the hate for the 360, they are among the best looking units running on the network. The inclusion of a end gangway would have ruined its looks and it would've looked out of place on the GEML where no other classes have them either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I just don't understand the hate for the 360, they are among the best looking units running on the network. The inclusion of a end gangway would have ruined its looks

This is true of many units, but the front end of the 360 is just pig-ugly. They could have put a fancy fibreglass snout on it.

It's odd but I think gangwayed Desiro fronts look much better.

On Moderation
This is true of many units, but the front end of the 360 is just pig-ugly. They could have put a fancy fibreglass snout on it.

It's odd but I think gangwayed Desiro fronts look much better.
Completely agree - the gangwayed 350/450 front end is massively better than the 360. The 360 always looks like it was a rush job after it became clear the gangway end wouldn't work on the Great Eastern.

Milo T.K

the new livery on the class 378 and the front on the tpe class 68 and 385 oml burn dat sugar honey iced tea

Doomotron

The Class 456s look like 80s Turbostars.

The Class 465/466 look good in photos but in real life they have dated a lot.

mmh

Established Member
456s are just a result of their time. That's what BREL EMUs looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.