• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugliest units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Clacton units are the wierdest looking units I have ever seen. But a juniper unit, now that is ugly! The 442s are handsome units

The Class 309 "Clactons" were handsome devils with there original original cab windows or not. To me much more handsome than the Class 442s!

Class 458s are not that bad either!

43021HST

Established Member
No I also thought they looked a bit similar espicially the old type of cab windows on the "Clactons" looked similar to those on the Class 442 to me.

Although I forgot to mention I do like the 442s.

442s are the neater version without all those cables hanging out, and the clactons always look grimy.

Bighat

442s are the neater version without all those cables hanging out, and the clactons always look grimy.

Yes, but you can hardly hold the fact that a train is dirty against its looks.

It is hardly surprising, belting into London through thre east end, at full throttle, that they got filthy.

They looked absolutely brilliant in their original livery of maroon and cream, although tbh I dont think the later liveries did them any favours!

43021HST

Established Member
Yes, but you can hardly hold the fact that a train is dirty against its looks.

It is hardly surprising, belting into London through thre east end, at full throttle, that they got filthy.

They looked absolutely brilliant in their original livery of maroon and cream, although tbh I dont think the later liveries did them any favours!

The NSE livery didnt suit them

Voyager 2093

Got to say the 220/221s as they look incredibly messy compared to the Class 390 and the 222's.

Not ugly but to me, i just find the Class 150/1s just look weird without a Corridor connection on the end units, but could be im used to the /2's from being from the southwest Nr Castle cary.

The 220/221 DEMUs are identical to the 222s except for the shape of the lights however I dont see how that can make a difference maybe its the livery.

390s are world class looking trains on the exterior its a shame about the interior.

RPM

Established Member
All the original mark 3 derived multiple unit designs are terrible - understandable for a prototype maybe but unforgivable to put this sort of non-design into production. Examples of these offenders include the class 210 DEMUs, class 317/1 EMUs and class 455/8 EMUs. Thankfully it was improved for later builds of the aforementioned EMUs.
The prize however has to go to the class 140 railbus - a misguided attempt to stick the above disasterous front end onto a Leyland Railbus. Truly execrable.

Ivo

Established Member
321s aren't much cop period. After Pacers, and possibly the 313/4/5 lot and the single-car 153s, 321s get the most stick from me. And unlike the others I've listed, I've actually used 321s quite a bit, courtesy of the Southend-Shenfield line (and, to a lesser degree, the GEML). I was worried when c2c were in line for a batch of them not so long ago...

Mind you, the green/blue/white colour scheme from the FGE days didn't help that much, especially given NX's idea of adopting the same scheme on some units!

(And the 360 Desiros that [mostly] replaced them on the GEML aren't much better.)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I never used to think of either of those as being particularly ugly...

(Mind you, that 180114 shot does explain why I recognised the layout of CNM when I went there yesterday evening.)

chris89

Established Member
Most likely is the lights that make the difference as the 220/221's just look like that ugly Bug eye imprezia's.

Have to agree on the Class 390's they are fantastic but interior could be better, but in my opioin miles better then the Voyagers.

Just wish they use the 390's on the New street - Edinburgh service.

Chris

Voyager 2093

Most likely is the lights that make the difference as the 220/221's just look like that ugly Bug eye imprezia's.

Have to agree on the Class 390's they are fantastic but interior could be better, but in my opioin miles better then the Voyagers.

Just wish they use the 390's on the New street - Edinburgh service.

Chris

Using the 390s on the New Street - Edinburgh service will not make much economic sense, from a Virgin Trains point of view.

ukrob

Established Member
True, as they just want profits but would make more sense for fuel costs etc, and that between Crewe and Carlise it's always over crowded.

Chris

Why would running Voyagers under the wires on one stretch of the WCML against another help fuel costs? Especially when you factor in a Pendo needing a 57 drag for North Wales.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Its less profit chasing and more that the stock is prescribed by the DfT as a result of Cross Country - Virgin are of course free to order new electric stock at their own risk, but that would be suicidal as the stock wouldn't be delivered before the franchise renewal, and if they don't get it....

Ivo

Established Member
Its less profit chasing and more that the stock is prescribed by the DfT as a result of Cross Country - Virgin are of course free to order new electric stock at their own risk, but that would be suicidal as the stock wouldn't be delivered before the franchise renewal, and if they don't get it....

It's a fair point, most certainly. However, are Virgin likely to lose the WCML franchise?

Daimler

Established Member
321s aren't much cop period. After Pacers, and possibly the 313/4/5 lot and the single-car 153s, 321s get the most stick from me. And unlike the others I've listed, I've actually used 321s quite a bit, courtesy of the Southend-Shenfield line (and, to a lesser degree, the GEML). I was worried when c2c were in line for a batch of them not so long ago...

Dreadful trains, aren't they? Horrible low seating, poor window/seat alignment, noisy, rattly doors, and a general feeling of cheap-and-nastiness.

Mind you, the green/blue/white colour scheme from the FGE days didn't help that much, especially given NX's idea of adopting the same scheme on some units!

Indeed. And the Silverlink livery didn't help either!

starrymarkb

Established Member
It's a fair point, most certainly. However, are Virgin likely to lose the WCML franchise?

Depends, they have done a lot that has ****ed off the DfT over their franchise. A biggie being the compensation when the WCML upgrade was scaled back

Pumbaa

Established Member

Backing up starrymarkb, I think it's highly likely Virgin will not be re-awarded the franchise in 2012, mainly because they like treading on DafTs toes and making them pay.

WillPS

Established Member
Any BREL unit with end-corridors. It's like they couldn't really be arsed to design a front end so left it flat. Surely curved glass is better for coping with sunlight?

The Wessex Electrics are the exception that proves the rule.

Bombardier show how it's done with their Electrostars - they look just as good with as without the corridor on the end IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.