• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugly Mare on Dublin Tram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornet

Some dodgy looking Mare on the Luas Red Line in Dublin today.

http://www.thejournal.ie/horse-luas-2336771-Sep2015/

How do horses themselves like to get around? Light rail, it seems.

The unusual passenger was spotted on the Luas Red Line earlier this afternoon, getting on the Belgard stop (sadly not The Gallops or Blackhorse) heading towards town.

Una McCrystal took this picture of of the horse.

She said it was on the tram for a few minutes before the driver spotted the animal on camera, and asked the owner to remove it.

Una added that it did not seem to be in any distress.

“They literally had to take two fellas to push it back off,” she noted.

Another passenger said the horse was, needless to say, the centre of attention....
Might have been somebody horsing around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Until it hurts someone. Horses can do a lot of damage!

bradders1983

Uh-oh, bad puns in threads upset people on here, thread will be moved when some killjoy complains in the next day or so....

Hornet

I recognised one person in the photo. He's a neigh-bour of mine.<D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On a more serious note, I did notice that there were quite a few nasties and other unsavoury characters on the Tramway in Dublin when I visited earlier in the year.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Good cheap public transport allows greater mobility for the less well off...

markindurham

Cue the line in The Commitments - to a young lad going to lead a horse into the lift of a high-rise block of flats - "You're not bringing the horse in, are you?". Reply - "I have to; the stairs would ****ing kill him"...

Hornet

On a more serious note, I did notice that there were quite a few nasties and other unsavoury characters on the Tramway in Dublin when I visited earlier in the year.

Belgard Stop, where the horse got on, is one stop from my local Stop, Kingwood. The Red Line is not the Route for the faint hearted. Seen arrests for Drug Taking and Dealing (a common occurrence), Fights and Ticketless Travel. Many services during the day, and nearly all services in the evening have at least two (very large Eastern European types) Security Personnel on them to aid the Guards (Garda Siochana/Irish Police). I'd rather travel on London's Night Buses than the Red Line during the day.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
I think we need to rein in the horse puns...
"Excuse me - does this tram go down the mane road?". :roll:

Ah well at least the horse wasn't on board furlong but even if he had been fined for not having a ticket I am sure someone would have decided to bale the owner out..... :p :lol:

Dave

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
When i saw the thread title, I was under the impression it would be about the Duchess of Cornwall

DarloRich

Veteran Member
All very funny till the distressed horse has to be shot. That might leave people with a long face. Can't we call a halter to these puns?

Jonny

Established Member
Besides, if anyone (or the horse) got hurt, the legal fallout would be a mare ;)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There was the case about 6 years ago of a traveller Joe who tried to board a Holyhead train at Wrexham with his horse but as refused by guard went to a Wetherspoon pub with a similar welcome. Later went to A&E at Maelor Hospital complaining his horse was sick.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There is of course another side to this story. This thread is headlined 'Ugly Mare on Dublin Tram' but from the photo she doesn't look particularly ugly to me - looks like a fairly ordinary horse.

And besides, maybe we should query whether there is sexism going on here? If the horse was a stallion, not a mare, would the thread title have drawn attention to her physical appearance in this way? I wonder whether, if it'd been a stallion, we'd be thinking more about serious issues. Like what are its policies for greater accessibility for horses on trams? That sort of thing. Not demeaning the poor horse by commenting on its appearance ;)

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Yes, I agree with you. I think that, in some cases, some of our language objectifies female horses in a way that it wouldn't if we were talking about stallions.

Should it be this way? Nay!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Forum Rule 3 refers to discrimination against (unspecified) groups thus:
Do not post material which in any way discriminates against, or provokes, any person or group of persons.
and I guess that the post probably doesn't actually 'discriminate' against the creature in the image, but even if it did, then quite clearly, the rule only applies to persons.

It wasn't 2 persons wearing a horse costume, was it?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Forum Rule 3 refers to discrimination against (unspecified) groups thus:and I guess that the post probably doesn't actually 'discriminate' against the creature in the image, but even if it did, then quite clearly, the rule only applies to persons.

It wasn't 2 persons wearing a horse costume, was it?

No it wasn't

We were being discriminatory towards animals which forum rules do not prevent

Status
Not open for further replies.