• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Euphemisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
My "favourite" seen on many websites:

We value your privacy = We will sell as much of your personal information that we can find.

we value your privacy = we couldn’t find anyone prepared to pay for your personal information

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A few ones people use self descriptively, broadly true IME:

Life and soul of the party = loud and annoying
I like to work hard and play hard = I have a drug habit
I'm ambitious and driven = I'll brown nose to bosses, take credit for other people's work and won't hesitate to stab the rest of my colleagues in the back if there's the slightest chance of a promotion
Brilliant and very true.

It’s fine, don’t worry about it = It could not possibly get any worse, I will never, ever forget this.
Perfect = Well that’s that ruined then.
Honestly, it doesn’t matter = Nothing has ever mattered more than this.
I might join you later = I’m not leaving the house today unless it’s on fire.
Sorry, I think you might have dropped something = You have definitely just dropped that item.
It could be worse = No it couldn't.
I’m just popping out for lunch, does anyone want anything? = I’m getting my own lunch now, not yours. Please remain silent.
No, no, honestly, it was my fault = It was definitely your fault and we both know it.
Whenever you get a minute = Now.
No harm done = You have caused complete and utter chaos.
Our staff are our greatest assets = But don't expect a pay rise.
New comfortable seats = We found some slabs of granite and covered them with cloth.

nr758123

When you are on the phone to a call centre, and waiting for your call to be answered:-

Your call is important to us : Your call is not important to us

Did you know you can find the answer to your query on our website? : F**k off, we're very busy and too tight fisted to employ enough staff to answer your call in a timely manner.

If you leave your phone number we will call you back : We couldn't give a s**t about your call and will not call you back , but this enables us to reduce the number of people in the queue and improve our statistics

We are experiencing high call volumes : We are no busier than at any other time but we'd rather you spent 25 minutes listening to c**p music in a queue to speak to an operator than spend the money employing enough people to provide a prompt and efficient service.

Bevan Price

Established Member
We won't increase taxes before the next election = We won't increase income tax, but VAT and your council taxes will probably increase.
You never had it so good (PM Harold Macmillan) = Don't vote Labour.
The (BBC TV) Red Button service will cease because we need to save money = No, we won't reduce the very high salaries of our senior management ?

PG

Established Member
Unexpected item in the bagging area = You nudged your bag ever so slightly and when the assistant eventually comes to reset the till they'll look at you like you're hopeless

Calthrop

Established Member
Unexpected item in the bagging area = You nudged your bag ever so slightly and when the assistant eventually comes to reset the till they'll look at you like you're hopeless

One of the reasons why I refuse to use these damned newfangled self-checkout devices...

duncanp

Established Member
Whenever there is a major IT failure at a bank/energy company/local council...etc.

We are working with our suppliers to determine the cause of the problem and the best way of resolving it :- We are arguing with our suppliers about who is to blame for this fiasco, and who is going to have to pay to fix it.

duncanp

Established Member
Relating to the weather forecast:-

It will be dry and sunny today = There might a break in the cloud for five minutes if you're lucky.

Scattered showers = A torrential downpour

Wintry showers = A blizzard

There might be some damage to buildings = If you didn't remember to renew your buildings insurance, you're stuffed

There might be some transport disruption = A few flakes of snow or a drop of rain and the roads and railways grind to a halt

Don't worry, there isn't going to be a hurricane (Michael Fish 1987) = We all know what happened there

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Wind your neck in - to tell someone to not concern themselves with issues that don't directly affect them

Discussing Ugandan affairs - From Private Eye. Often used as a euphemism for sex/infidelity, usually while carrying out a supposedly official duty.

Spend a penny - use the toilet. The phrase goes back to Victorian public toilets, which required users to insert a single penny in order to operate the lock.

Pear-shaped - A situation which has quickly evolved into an accident waiting to happen might be described as "gone pear-shaped."

Full Monty - pursuing something to the absolute limits. "The full Monty" historically refers to an old tailor called Sir Montague Burton. Going "the fully Monty" meant purchasing a full three-piece suit, a shirt, and all of the trimmings.

Dog's dinner - a mess or fiasco

Curtain twitcher - Nosey neighbour

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Wintry showers = A blizzard

In the south eats this means completely lose your shizzle, dress like Scott of the Antarctic and run around like a man thing panic buying milk and bread before the entire economy and nation grinds to a halt.

In the north it means: put a jumper on lad.

duncanp

Established Member
In the south eats this means completely lose your shizzle, dress like Scott of the Antarctic and run around like a man thing panic buying milk and bread before the entire economy and nation grinds to a halt.

In the north it means: put a jumper on lad.

Yes I remember an artificial ski slope somewhere in Kent being closed once due to the fact that there was too much snow

Reminds me of the time when a female news presenter was commenting on the fact that a male weather forecast had overestimated the amount of snow that was going to fall. She said:-

What happened to that six inches you promised me last night, it was only two inches and I was really disappointed?

Cue collapsing into hysterics when she realised what she had said.:D:D

AM9

Veteran Member
A full and frank exchange of views - an absolutely massive nose-to-nose argument that stopped just short of punches being thrown.
I remember that as "A frank and earnest exchange of views".
... Leg it - Run away ( as in: Christ its the rozzers, lets leg it) ...
Then there's Winging it which is performing something without adequate preparation.
"Confirmed bachelor" = hypocritical Daily-Mail speak for homosexual ...
Then there's the female equivalent that I first heard from some Australians: ladies (or women) in comfortable shoes.

Calthrop

Established Member
Full Monty - pursuing something to the absolute limits. "The full Monty" historically refers to an old tailor called Sir Montague Burton. Going "the fully Monty" meant purchasing a full three-piece suit, a shirt, and all of the trimmings.

Thanks ! -- I always wondered where that one came from. So, nothing to do with the victor of El Alamein !
Curtain twitcher - Nosey neighbour

I gather that the American version of this is, [a] Gladys Kravitz. Presumably after a -- real or fictitious -- old-time inveterate busybody of that name.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Now obsolete:
See the headmaster in the morning = Go and receive a very sore bottom from his cane.

duncanp

Established Member
The sad passing today of Derek Fowlds, who played Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, brings to mind a few gems:-

This matter is under consideration = We have lost the file

This matter is under active consideration = We have lost the file but are trying to find it

A controversial decision, minister = That will cost you votes

A courageous decision, minister = That will cost you the election

Have you considered all of the implications? = That is a bad idea

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The sad passing today of Derek Fowlds, who played Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, brings to mind a few gems:-

This matter is under consideration = We have lost the file

This matter is under active consideration = We have lost the file but are trying to find it

A controversial decision, minister = That will cost you votes

A courageous decision, minister = That will cost you the election

Have you considered all of the implications? = That is a bad idea
He was the master of it.

Marton

Of course there was also the original House of Cards

I couldn’t possibly comment

You are absolutely correct.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wind your neck in - to tell someone to not concern themselves with issues that don't directly affect them

I found that one to be comparatively recent and possibly of Antipodean origin? Might be wrong though.

Discussing Ugandan affairs
- From Private Eye. Often used as a euphemism for sex/infidelity, usually while carrying out a supposedly official duty.

Another Private Eye favourite:

Tired and emotional - very drunk.

Getting off at Gateshead (and regional variations on the theme of leaving a bus/ train one stop before the terminus): coitus interruptus (and doesn't it look more acceptable in italics?!)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Some S&T ones to describe an idiot....He/she is:-
A gate short of a level crossing.
A lever short of a frame.
Not the shiniest lever in the frame.
Not the loudest bell on the shelf.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My other half (Northern Irish) says - “Catch yourself on” whenever I’ve said something particularly crass...
So I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.