• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Euphemisms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Massage Parlour = Brothel (especially if in the Red Light district)

Calthrop

Established Member
I've always been mildly amused by the name of the village of Bothel in Cumbria (nearest station, I think, Aspatria). Scope for pranksters with brush and paint, or Magic Marker?

Welshman

Established Member
Full Monty - pursuing something to the absolute limits. "The full Monty" historically refers to an old tailor called Sir Montague Burton. Going "the fully Monty" meant purchasing a full three-piece suit, a shirt, and all of the trimmings.

Going back a bit further, in WW2 days "Gone for a Burton" meant the airman had unfortunately died in action and was now being measured for a {wooden} overcoat.

He's round the bend - relates to the fact he is now detained in a mental hospital.{Old Victorian Asylums were built beyond a bend in the drive, so people passing by on the main road were blissfully unaware of the unfortunates detained there}.

And from the Civil Service:-
Gardening Leave - offered to someone who had made a major blunder but her/his sacking would cause embarrassment.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And from the Civil Service:-
Gardening Leave - offered to someone who had made a major blunder but her/his sacking would cause embarrassment.

Gardening leave is used for lots of purposes, including when you're making people redundant (with no misconduct at all) and don't want them to have the option of talking to other staff deriding what the company is doing or sabotaging their work. Indeed, "suspended on full pay" (which is basically the same thing) is more usually a precursor to being sacked for misconduct.

najaB

Veteran Member
Gardening leave is used for lots of purposes...
Also as a way of fulfilling a contractual notice period when having the person actually at work could be detrimental due to then no longer giving a [redacted]. Back on topic...

That's one possible direction... (of a suggestion) - there is no way we are doing that.

That certainty is innovative... - don't be so stupid

Calthrop

Established Member
Digressing afresh ;) -- wondering is prompted, as to whether the expression "gardening leave" is also in vogue among the clergy: for an occasion when a person in Holy Orders is suspended from their role, for seriously erring in one way or another. Specially appropriate on this scene, perhaps, what with Adam and Eve discovering sin and having to leave the Garden...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Or one who "bowls from the gasworks end" (coined, I think, by actor Ray Winstone).
"Uphill Gardener" was a silly one, quite possibly only coined because it makes no sense and thus sounds ridiculous... but nobody told the man who decided to launch a gardening business in a suburb of Weston Super Mare!

"Barnsley* Shower": When one has woken up late and must resort to a quick spray of deodorant under each arm rather than a proper wash. *= Other regional variations available.

Calthrop

Established Member
"Uphill Gardener" was a silly one, quite possibly only coined because it makes no sense and thus sounds ridiculous... but nobody told the man who decided to launch a gardening business in a suburb of Weston Super Mare!

It makes rather good sense to me -- perhaps I have an unusually filthy mind?

"Barnsley* Shower": When one has woken up late and must resort to a quick spray of deodorant under each arm rather than a proper wash. *= Other regional variations available.

(My bolding immediately above) -- My brother, who spent a number of year working in the Emirates, uses "Arab Shower" to mean the same thing. (He has a great love for the Arab peoples and lands and their culture, but that love is not totally uncritical.)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Gardening leave is used for lots of purposes, including when you're making people redundant (with no misconduct at all) and don't want them to have the option of talking to other staff deriding what the company is doing or sabotaging their work. Indeed, "suspended on full pay" (which is basically the same thing) is more usually a precursor to being sacked for misconduct.

Indeed it has many use. I had 12 weeks of tending the rockery after I submitted my resignation to move to a perceived competitor.

Or one who "bowls from the gasworks end" (coined, I think, by actor Ray Winstone).

One that was used in the past about closeted gay men in their obituaries was “They never married “.

PG

Established Member
One from the magical world of marketing:
Terms and Conditions apply = pretty much everything we've just said/written is about as likely as seeing a one legged man riding a unicycle

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'With respect' = 'I think you're a total plonker who speaks unadulterated garbage but I'll pretend to take account of what you say'. An old favourite of politicians, both in the Commons and in the TV studios.

najaB

Veteran Member
Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted = taking action after the event which the action, had it been done earlier, might well have prevented

It's like riding a bike = a skill which once mastered will not be forgotten

One from the magical world of marketing:
Terms and Conditions apply = pretty much everything we've just said/written is about as likely as seeing a one legged man riding a unicycle

I don't think any of those are uniquely or particularly British.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think any of those are uniquely or particularly British.

There are variants, one that springs to mind is that any medical advert in Germany comes with "Zu Risikungen und Nebenwirkungen lesen Sie die Packungsbeilage oder fragen Sie Ihren Arzt oder Apotheker" - for risks and side effects read the leaflet or ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Tom B

Established Member
"On the ****" - not in drunk terms, but used to describe something that's not straight ("that picture's on the ****")

"On the make" - trying to gain something in mildly illicit ways (more of a Trotters application than serious fraud)

"I can neither confirm nor deny that / I couldn't possibly comment" - usually from someone in authority who is bound by company policy and can't agree with you

A couple seen on ebay adverts -

"Would make for a brave restoration project" - you'd have to be completely nuts, have deep pockets and a welder to even consider it

"MoT due next week but will fly through" - it'll fail spectacularly which is why I haven't presented it for test

PG

Established Member
A couple seen on ebay adverts -

"Would make for a brave restoration project" - you'd have to be completely nuts, have deep pockets and a welder to even consider it

"MoT due next week but will fly through" - it'll fail spectacularly which is why I haven't presented it for test
One careful lady owner = I bought it last week in the pub car park off a guy I don't know

MotCO

Established Member
Economical with the truth - suggesting someone is telling unthruths without actually saying it thus avoiding being sued!

More recently, expressed as "economical with the actualité" by Alan Clark in the early 1990's when 'admitting' his role in the Matrix Churchill affair.

Also rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - whatever you do won't make a blind bit of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.