• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Euphemisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamracene749

Drain the main vein, shake hands with my best friend, syphon the python, leak the lizard, go for a run off, make room for another(pint of beer), go for a slash, off for a widdle, point at the porcelain, going for a leak - some of the many phrases used by gentlemen to refer to visiting the toilet. Oddly enough, 'taking the P***' absolutely does not mean the same thing!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To get things back on topic and since we've mentioned rants how about this:
Thrown the toys out of the pram = Has had a tantrum.
Spat the dummy out is another good one.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Drain the main vein, shake hands with my best friend, syphon the python, leak the lizard, go for a run off, make room for another(pint of beer), go for a slash, off for a widdle, point at the porcelain, going for a leak - some of the many phrases used by gentlemen to refer to visiting the toilet. Oddly enough, 'taking the P***' absolutely does not mean the same thing!
"Ah'm awa' for a single" (fish)

Probably just a north-east Scotland expression, but it means the same thing.

Meerkat

Established Member
Pray to the porcelain god
On the porcelain phone to Jesus
For those head in pan moments.....

DaleCooper

Established Member
Why don't we see you in Cryptic Clues any more?

There's also:
Strain the potatoes
Shake hands with the unemployed
The somewhat whimsical "I'm going to turn my bike around"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Proscribed words are automatically censored which I find offensive but rules are rules. You can write Scunthorpe or Derwentwater but not ****terton, Dorset.

I've got the ST&G "Marvellous Map of British Place Names" above the bog, so when I go for, er, a pish, I can read them. I keep finding new ones. Definitely recommended! :)

(There's something about swearing in a Scottish accent that makes it sound less offensive than an English one. Can anyone take offence at Billy Connolly?)

DaleCooper

Established Member
I've got the ST&G "Marvellous Map of British Place Names" above the bog, so when I go for, er, a pish, I can read them. I keep finding new ones. Definitely recommended! :)

I can recommend Potty, Fartwell & Knob by Russell Ash a 250 page book of real names taken from, parish registers, censuses and records of births, marriages and deaths. Names such as Dick Rubber, Fanny Cockup and Willy Leak plus many others which would be victims of the automatic censor. It casts a new light on our attitude to certain arrangements of letters.

gg1

Established Member
I can recommend Potty, Fartwell & Knob by Russell Ash a 250 page book of real names taken from, parish registers, censuses and records of births, marriages and deaths. Names such as Dick Rubber, Fanny Cockup and Willy Leak plus many others which would be victims of the automatic censor. It casts a new light on our attitude to certain arrangements of letters.

williestroker_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZQY3IjH7QbR7re3soR1Zt8RrpN2XdyfqWPAhmi25hRE.jpg

philjo

Established Member
Another one that a friend frequently used was "Go and see a man about a dog"

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm assuming we use a number two simply because it rhymes with poo?
I heard it had to do with the difference in cost between a stand-up and sitting visit to paid-for toilets. Most likely apocryphal.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'm assuming we use a number two simply because it rhymes with poo?
Curiously, I first encountered that term in the American film Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and didn't work out what it meant until years later.

superjohn

“You’re looking well” = “You have lost a huge amount of weight”
Especially when spoken between women.

Status
Not open for further replies.