• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Has anybody here sneezed into their mask yet or sniffed their way through a journey rather then lower the mask to blow their nose?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Yes it's just seen as the 'done thing' in some parts of South/South East Asia to wear masks if you have a cough/cold but are still going to work. It's not something people do every day of their lives.

I can see that habit coming here to be honest - and better habits in general, i.e. not having the office heroes coming in from their sick bed spreading around all their germs. That can only be a good thing.
Yes I've no problem with people wearing masks, or any other fashion apparel for that matter, if they want to. But I hate seeing a faceless society and I hate the fact that people are forced to wear them for no benefit.

kez19

Established Member
Regarding face coverings and call me cynical here, but why are politicians not wearing masks indoors? Again I say this at both UK/Scottish level in devolved parliaments? Wouldn’t that be classed as “indoors”?, let alone both Houses of Parliament and Holyrood could hold indoor venues/concerts (per se) so why the exemption?, It’s the same as well when they give press conferences (again even Sturgeons update) it just seems more and more it’s a rule for them than us (said this before), but I see they don’t lead much by example there either or are they exempt?

I rather go back to before March where none of this happened yet as I said before isn’t it strange that none of this came about at the start of the year to be now done in the middle/end of year..

Also has anyone noticed more that masks are now a fashion trend?

big_rig

Probably because they don’t really work, they’re uncomfortable, dystopian and most people (at least pre Covid) aren’t hypochondriacs who are incapable of assessing risk.

Quite.

I also find the 'oh they wear them in Japan it's cultural, we should too' thing immensely frustrating. Where's the evidence that influenza rates are lower there than anywhere else, and what's it from? This is of course wrapped up in the main problem with masks in that no evidence exists to support their use.

Regarding face coverings and call me cynical here, but why are politicians not wearing masks indoors? Again I say this at both UK/Scottish level in devolved parliaments? Wouldn’t that be classed as “indoors”?, let alone both Houses of Parliament and Holyrood could hold indoor venues/concerts (per se) so why the exemption?, It’s the same as well when they give press conferences (again even Sturgeons update) it just seems more and more it’s a rule for them than us (said this before), but I see they don’t lead much by example there either or are they exempt?

Funny you ask! They have decided against them because..

Sir Lindsay said he agreed with Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg that masks for MPs "really wouldn't work" as it would be harder to recognise who was speaking and harder to be heard.

kez19

Established Member
Quite.

I also find the 'oh they wear them in Japan it's cultural, we should too' thing immensely frustrating. Where's the evidence that influenza rates are lower there than anywhere else, and what's it from? This is of course wrapped up in the main problem with masks in that no evidence exists to support their use.

Funny you ask! They have decided against them because..

Yeah right... it’s not as if the public find it hard either!
Just a pity they should have trialled mask wearing on themselves than on public

Yew

Established Member
I'm seeing more and more tweets with the questionable line of:

It would be possible to eliminate COVID-19, almost completely, here if EVERYBODY wore masks properly - ALL OF THE TIME except when at home only with members of our own household

Unsurprisingly, there is little proof or evidence associated with that assertion.

LowLevel

Established Member
I certainly think it's something we could learn from Asia - if you are symptomatic, stay at home or mask up.

Easier solution I have proposed before. If you are on a train hacking and spluttering away without bothering to cover your mouth and nose (with a tissue or whatever), the guard shall be summoned and strike the individual once in the nose with the butt of a hand lamp for each offence committed.

I get too many colds to count (though this year has been much better, funnily enough :lol:) from dirty people.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Have you been asked to wear a mask at bus stops? I was waiting at a bus stop (just a post & sign with no shelter) and was asked by a mother to wear a mask. :s

bramling

Veteran Member
I certainly think it's something we could learn from Asia - if you are symptomatic, stay at home or mask up.

Surely picking up minor colds and the like is a normal fact of life? Unpleasant though it may be, it’s also a way of building up one’s immune system.

We really don’t want to end up with a situation where anyone who coughs is looked upon as some kind of evil granny-killer, which is where we seem to heading at the moment.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We really don’t want to end up with a situation where anyone who coughs is looked upon as some kind of evil granny-killer, which is where we seem to heading at the moment.

No, but it should be considered the height of poor manners to knowingly infect people with any disease, however minor. It's a bit more like going swimming with a verruca without wearing the rubber socks to prevent transmission.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
No, but it should be considered the height of poor manners to knowingly infect people with any disease, however minor. It's a bit more like going swimming with a verruca without wearing the rubber socks to prevent transmission.

I consider someone wearing a mask, making it impossible to see their facial expressions or understand them, once this is over, to be pretty bad mannered as well.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I consider someone wearing a mask, making it impossible to see their facial expressions or understand them, once this is over, to be pretty bad mannered as well.

Well, quite obviously, post-Covid wearing of face coverings would become the exception rather than the rule. And more good manners overall in not passing on illness to others.

bramling

Veteran Member
Well, quite obviously, post-Covid wearing of face coverings would become the exception rather than the rule. And more good manners overall in not passing on illness to others.

We need to get away from this idea of good manners. It’s toxic, and all it does is cause problems.

I agree very much that people should cover their mouth when sneezing, but that’s as far as we should go.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
We need to get away from this idea of good manners. It’s toxic, and all it does is cause problems.

What problems? Voluntarily wearing a face covering, if you are able, when (and only when) you have a cold is not a "problem".

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What problems? Voluntarily wearing a face covering, if you are able, when (and only when) you have a cold is not a "problem".

But living in a masked dystopia is a problem. Personally, I doubt people will take to wearing them - they will be forever associated with this horrid year, and people won't want to be reminded of the months of misery they endured.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
But living in a masked dystopia is a problem. Personally, I doubt people will take to wearing them - they will be forever associated with this horrid year, and people won't want to be reminded of the months of misery they endured.

Maybe. Or some might have found mask wearing to be not be such a big deal after all. I certainly don't think they are.

I'd certainly entertain the idea of keeping a permanent supply in the cupboard for the rare occasions when I have a cold but still need to get out and about. Better than the on train 'don't you dare sneeze on me' glary-eyes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Manners and consideration of others before yourself is important - more important than almost anything else.

But living in a masked dystopia is a problem

What proportion of people has a cold at any given time? It's quite a different idea to now.

35B

Established Member
Because the regulations - sensibly - have exemptions for when the job being done isn't suitable for being masked. It's no different than if there were to be a concert, the performers wouldn't have to be masked either

I rather go back to before March where none of this happened yet as I said before isn’t it strange that none of this came about at the start of the year to be now done in the middle/end of year..
Because the understanding of what's appropriate has developed?

Also has anyone noticed more that masks are now a fashion trend?
Because people make fashion statements of the clothes they wear - so why are masks any different?

"Masked dystopia". Personally, I'd rather not live in a dystopia at all - and I don't think the presence or absence of masks has anything much to do with whether this country is or isn't a dystopia. I do agree though that once we're through Covid, mask wearing will go out of fashion - thank goodness.

kez19

Established Member
Because the regulations - sensibly - have exemptions for when the job being done isn't suitable for being masked. It's no different than if there were to be a concert, the performers wouldn't have to be masked either

Because the understanding of what's appropriate has developed?

Because people make fashion statements of the clothes they wear - so why are masks any different?

"Masked dystopia". Personally, I'd rather not live in a dystopia at all - and I don't think the presence or absence of masks has anything much to do with whether this country is or isn't a dystopia. I do agree though that once we're through Covid, mask wearing will go out of fashion - thank goodness.

But the parliaments are indoors such as a supermarket where it’s mandatory? Yet you could still say it’s ok for them not too but the public must? Yet people question why it’s one rule, don’t trust any politician these days.

Is it really or is it now based on political point scoring than following science or what it’s called now?

Fashion statements (I meant this as in store windows not individuals just to clear that part) - looks more like since masks have been introduced all stores seem to be doing it (looks more like milking the situation)

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Have you been asked to wear a mask at bus stops? I was waiting at a bus stop (just a post & sign with no shelter) and was asked by a mother to wear a mask. :s

I hope you told the mother to mind her own business.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sort of on topic.

I just had a smartphone cover delivered (protective rubber back and surround, faux leather cover with holes for camera etc). As I opened the case an individually wrapped (and unused!) disposable medical mask dropped out.

Reading one of the product reviews on Amazon, someone refers to a 'surprise additional item'.

The phone cover is manufactured (or at least distributed by) a Hong Kong Company with fulfillment by Amazon.

Is this common now, and previously, for areas like Hong Kong where masks were in regular use pre-pandemic?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with any recent product delivery? Seems like one way of encouraging take-up of face coverings - perhaps the government should encourage it. One free mask with every prescription delivered, one pack (of 5) per every £40 plus supermarket delivery etc.

MikeWM

Established Member
My college has just 'sent' me their latest fundraising magazine. I say 'sent' because they seem to be using the current situation as an excuse to stop sending out physical copies, and so I've just got an email instead.

The cover has six people standing outside in the college grounds, all very distanced from each other. And yes, all six are wearing masks. Outside. Standing alone.

Needless to say that's not exactly going to persuade me to send them any money!

bramling

Veteran Member

Why should people need to for a cold which is an extremely mild inconvenience, an inevitability of winter months, and is in many ways a necessary part of building up a healthy immune system?

I am simply not prepared to wear a face covering to try and inhibit something which is a natural fact of normal human life.

If people have a problem with that then it would be perhaps equally “good manners” for them to stay at home and close up the shutters, however they shouldn’t expect the taxpayer to support such an existence.

Manners and consideration of others before yourself is important - more important than almost anything else.

I don’t disagree in general, however I don’t think masks are part of that in any way shape or form.

They’re a completely unproven concept to pacify the terrified, and most of the nastiness we now see is based on “it’s not fair that...” rather than any rational reasoning. Nothing to do with manners.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If people have a problem with that then it would be perhaps equally “good manners” for them to stay at home and close up the shutters, however they shouldn’t expect the taxpayer to support such an existence.

it absolutely should be considered good manners and normal that if you are sick with a illness that can easily be transmitted to other people then you stay home and do not drag yourself into work to just infect everyone else in the workplace. And I would happily argue that sick pay should be a hell of a lot better than it is for many people.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
it absolutely should be considered good manners and normal that if you are sick with a illness that can easily be transmitted to other people then you stay home and do not drag yourself into work to just infect everyone else in the office. And I would happily argue that sick pay should be a hell of a lot better than it is for many people.

Increasing SSP to the level of furlough pay would be a very good start indeed.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
My college has just 'sent' me their latest fundraising magazine. I say 'sent' because they seem to be using the current situation as an excuse to stop sending out physical copies, and so I've just got an email instead.

The cover has six people standing outside in the college grounds, all very distanced from each other. And yes, all six are wearing masks. Outside. Standing alone.

Needless to say that's not exactly going to persuade me to send them any money!
But they are showing you just how they take it all so seriously. That they are SAFE.

"for the greater good"

bramling

Veteran Member
it absolutely should be considered good manners and normal that if you are sick with a illness that can easily be transmitted to other people then you stay home and do not drag yourself into work to just infect everyone else in the workplace. And I would happily argue that sick pay should be a hell of a lot better than it is for many people.

A common cold is a very minor illness.

If I went off work with symptoms then I’d be off the most of the summer due to hayfever symptoms.

Your view might also change when attendance nosedives and guess who’s left to pick up the workload of all the people who are now off sick?!

If it’s a choice between having the sniffles for a few days or getting dumped with someone else’s work then I know what I’d prefer. Obviously for more serious illnesses then it’s a different matter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A common cold is a very minor illness.

It's unpleasant, though.

If I went off work with symptoms then I’d be off the most of the summer due to hayfever symptoms.

You know as well as I do whether you've got a cold or hayfever - the symptoms are not exactly the same, and people with hayfever know full well how it affects them. Similarly, I haven't gone for a COVID test every time I've had an asthmatic cough. IOW, don't be silly.

Your view might also change when attendance nosedives and guess who’s left to pick up the workload of all the people who are now off sick?!

Fewer would be if people had a bit of consideration and put effort into not spreading it around. You only get that situation in the workplace because people come in (due to a nasty "presenteeism culture") and spread it around there.

MikeWM

Established Member
But they are showing you just how they take it all so seriously. That they are SAFE.

"for the greater good"

I'll show them how much I appreciate it by sending them no money whatever. Though I wouldn't have done anyway, so it isn't much of a protest :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.