• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Personally I find the signs of rising authoritarianism like the Government seeking to break international law, continuing to use the dead cat of "ASYLUM SEEKERS", labelling lawyers who challenge them as being "activists", opening talking about making it harder to seek a judicial review, illegally proroguing Parliament or dropping regulations minutes before they're due to come into force with no Parliamentary scrutiny despite being announced days in advance to be more worrying than face masks. But each to their own I suppose :lol:
Here here

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Personally I find the signs of rising authoritarianism like the Government seeking to break international law, continuing to use the dead cat of "ASYLUM SEEKERS", labelling lawyers who challenge them as being "activists", opening talking about making it harder to seek a judicial review, illegally proroguing Parliament or dropping regulations minutes before they're due to come into force with no Parliamentary scrutiny despite being announced days in advance to be more worrying than face masks. But each to their own I suppose :lol:

Absolutely this.

Yew

Established Member

I don't disagree, but those areas aren't the topic of this thread.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

The authoritarianism you refer to only affects a very small group of people and is irrelevant to the average man in the street, whereas compulsory wearing of masks affects everyone, or at least everyone who goes out in public.

DB

appears to discuss it.

Good in my view. It should never have been done without a formal exemption process.

How's that any different from the ones for England which the government produced? The scottish one doesn't sound like it's actually required by an exempt person, any more than the English one.

LAX54

Established Member
When are people going to twig that wearing the masks, under the nose, is exactly the same as wearing no mask at all ? even if you drop it below nose outside of shops, any 'virus/bacteria' that has been picked up by the mask, will be 'sniffed up the nose' !
Then there are the dog eared, faded, dirty 'disposable' ones that many seem to think are OK !

DB

When are people going to twig that wearing the masks, under the nose, is exactly the same as wearing no mask at all ? even if you drop it below nose outside of shops, any 'virus/bacteria' that has been picked up by the mask, will be 'sniffed up the nose' !
Then there are the dog eared, faded, dirty 'disposable' ones that many seem to think are OK !

People will never twig, and the government isn't going to say anything because that might prompt questions about how they are measuring the effectiveness of masks.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

People don't wear masks because they believe they're effective, people wear masks because they don't want any hassle from the mask police (both official and unofficial)!

LAX54

Established Member
People don't wear masks because they believe they're effective, people wear masks because they don't want any hassle from the mask police (both official and unofficial)!
have to agree, I wear one (and I also have an exempt card, but it is still hassle !) but I know it does little good, due to the way I store it / clean it !

HSTEd

Veteran Member

I don't wear a mask because I think it does anything significant.

I wear a mask because the state coerces me to do so.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I don't think masks are that effective though evidence either way is inconclusive.

I wear a mask because its no big deal.

westv

Established Member
Depends what you mean by no big deal. I wear one because the law says I have to but I find them uncomfortable and I dislike seeing people with half a face.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Depends what you mean by no big deal. I wear one because the law says I have to but I find them uncomfortable and I dislike seeing people with half a face.
I find that the straps hurt my ears after a few hours. Effectively that rules out long haul flying for me until masks are binned. I was planning to do a couple more US trips but as BA has binned the 747s there's no urgency now.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I have serious problems with my available masks spilling exhaled air onto my glasses and clouding them immediately.

And if I suppress that by pressing the top of the mask against my nose I end up inhaling the mask.

Makes shopping an interesting experience of moving to the correct isle with my glasses up on my forehead, then holding my breath and lowering them so I can see what item I want.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I find that the straps hurt my ears after a few hours.

I got some of these and they've been excellent at protecting my ears from the same issue (though there is a knack to getting the hooked on which took me a few tries to crack). Plus seemed to have helped the fit on some of the masks helping to negate the issue described (which I have also had) by @HSTEd:

birchesgreen

Established Member
I find that the straps hurt my ears after a few hours. Effectively that rules out long haul flying for me until masks are binned. I was planning to do a couple more US trips but as BA has binned the 747s there's no urgency now.

Get a mask you can tie around your head, surgical mask style.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Yep, I’m sure they would be amazed if you said don’t bother wearing your mask just breathe through your nose only with a shut mouth, it’s the same.

trainophile

Established Member
I have serious problems with my available masks spilling exhaled air onto my glasses and clouding them immediately.

And if I suppress that by pressing the top of the mask against my nose I end up inhaling the mask.

Makes shopping an interesting experience of moving to the correct isle with my glasses up on my forehead, then holding my breath and lowering them so I can see what item I want.

And wandering around station platforms!

I have just found one advantage to wearing th though - I can talk to myself and nobody knows!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
And wandering around station platforms!

I have just found one advantage to wearing th though - I can talk to myself and nobody knows!

You don't need to wear a mask on station platforms, the restriction only applies to enclosed areas, eg concourses, covered footbridges and waiting rooms.

jumble

I didn't refer to the help part of the poster, it wasn't of my corn and wasn't what the post was about hence my total confusion as to what everyone is going on about asking where masks are kept.

It seems a reasonable offer, unlike the previous omission of exemptions which is the real issue here

Please ignore my observations about staff as you are correct it is not relevant
I was only reflecting on the fact that to me the poster implies that Tesco will be kind and give a free mask rather than it meaning one will be directed to masks that have a huge mark up.

LAX54

Established Member
Yep, I’m sure they would be amazed if you said don’t bother wearing your mask just breathe through your nose only with a shut mouth, it’s the same.
Of course it is not quite like that ! but it does still make it pointless to a certain extent, anyway most breathe through their nose anyway, unless they are gasping for breath ! and of course all those nice droplets etc caught by said mask, sniffed up the nose like cocaine ! LOL :)

I don't wear a mask because I think it does anything significant.

I wear a mask because the state coerces me to do so.
You and MANY others I think.

In HUFFPOST today it says...

"In the centre of the masks is a material that’s better at trapping viruses, he explained, but if that gets wet, damaged or displaced, the mask becomes “useless”.

It’s important to remember your breath alone on the mask will be enough to slowly disintegrate it. A general rule of thumb is that they should be replaced after three hours regardless, said Prof Hunter."

But surely that has been obvious to the public from day 1 ? surely ?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
You don't need to wear a mask on station platforms, the restriction only applies to enclosed areas, eg concourses, covered footbridges and waiting rooms.
It depends.

In Scotland all station platforms are included. TfL-managed* stations also require face coverings on open platforms by way of a safety notice issued under TfL Byelaws.

And most TOCs have signage and recorded announcements, and in some cases staff, who apply the requirement to unenclosed platforms. Whilst these do not for the most part have legal effect, they will tend to promote enforcement by peer pressure (which was the government’s main intended method of enforcement anyway).

*To avoid unnecessarily wordy sentences I use TfL to include all of its subsidiaries, licensees, and concessionaires

trainophile

Established Member
What exactly is the point of Scotland enforcing wearing face coverings on open air platforms? You are probably often just a foot from the wire mesh connecting the station to the outside world, with all its breezes and fresh air.

MattA7

What exactly is the point of Scotland enforcing wearing face coverings on open air platforms? You are probably often just a foot from the wire mesh connecting the station to the outside world, with all its breezes and fresh air.

Because the Scottish government tends to like going stricter than the rest of the UK even if there is no logical reason for it.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Sturgeon now announced it will be mandatory to wear face coverings in workplace corridors and communal areas (ie canteens)

Another pointless exercise.

Yew

Established Member
Sturgeon now announced it will be mandatory to wear face coverings in workplace corridors and communal areas (ie canteens)

Another pointless exercise.
But don't touch your face when putting it on or taking it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.