• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK landline phones changing from double to single ring tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Those of you who still have a landline (and who still use it), have you noticed that the ringtones on UK landline phones have recently changed from double rings (ring ring...ring ring...ring ring) to single rings (ring...ring...ring)? The ringtone that you hear at the other end when you call a UK landline still consists of double rings, though.

My home landline has recently changed to single rings, and my parents tell me that their phone has done the same so I presume it has happened everywhere in the UK. Or maybe only certain exchanges have made the change, just as back in the 1990s some exchanges introduced the 1471 call-back facility earlier than others.

For as long as I can remember double rings have always been the norm in the UK for external calls and single rings usually meant an internal call (e.g. within an office building). I think single rings have always been the norm in mainland Europe and the USA, though, both on the actual handset and on the ringtone that you hear at the other end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
My landline phone still gives double rings, both from other landlines and mobile callers.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Could this be a ringtone setting on the phone?

AY1975

Established Member
Could this be a ringtone setting on the phone?
I haven't knowingly changed the ringtone setting on my phone, and I doubt if my parents have either (they struggle with modern technology so I doubt if they would bother to change it of their own accord even if it were possible and they knew how to do it!).

I can only assume that only certain exchanges and/or service providers have changed to single rings.

I have also noticed that the wording of the message that you hear when you dial 1471 (and on your answering machine if you have one) has changed. It used to say "You were called on (date) at (time) by (number)." It now says "The number that called you is (number) on (date) at (time)."

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I haven't knowingly changed the ringtone setting on my phone, and I doubt if my parents have either (they struggle with modern technology so I doubt if they would bother to change it of their own accord even if it were possible and they knew how to do it!).

I can only assume that only certain exchanges and/or service providers have changed to single rings.

I have also noticed that the wording of the message that you hear when you dial 1471 (and on your answering machine if you have one) has changed. It used to say "You were called on (date) at (time) by (number)." It now says "The number that called you is (number) on (date) at (time)."
Still get double rings and the wording of the 1471 message is closer to the first example you give not the second one. It goes "you were called today at (time) by (number)".

EC Traveller

Presumption, as assumption, is the mother of many **** ups.

My landline, today, still gives the usual (double) ringtone when making a call. I've not had any incoming calls today so can't verify that - but yesterday's calls rang in with the usual and familiar double ring. I highlight this as they are different and it is possible to have them different.

pdq

There's a thread about this on the Talktalk community site: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5...-from-double-ring-to-single-ring/td-p/2678368

That implies it's a TalkTalk issue. Is it happening to any other providers?
Confirmed as a network issue: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Has-your-ringtone-changed/m-p/2707947#M141432
Has your ringtone changed?
We’re aware that some customers have recently noticed that their phones ringtone has changed from the typical one they are use (sic) to.

We’d like to assure you that we’re working to resolve the issue as a priority and will keep you updated as we know more.

Last edited by a moderator:

AY1975

Established Member
Confirmed as a network issue: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Has-your-ringtone-changed/m-p/2707947#M141432

Has your ringtone changed?

We’re aware that some customers have recently noticed that their phones ringtone has changed from the typical one they are use (sic) to.

We’d like to assure you that we’re working to resolve the issue as a priority and will keep you updated as we know more.
Well I suppose it doesn't matter too much as long as your phone still works (a lot of people whose phones have been affected probably haven't even noticed anything unusual!) but I was just curious to know why it was doing this.

When you make a landline call, the ringing you hear is probably down to the network you are on. When the landline rings, the ringing is probably down to the settings (if available) on the phone.

If you call international numbers either to or from the UK the tones are definitely different.

mikeg

Established Member
When you make a landline call, the ringing you hear is probably down to the network you are on. When the landline rings, the ringing is probably down to the settings (if available) on the phone.

If you call international numbers either to or from the UK the tones are definitely different.
Actually I believe the ring you hear is in fact the ring of the other phone line... It is the signal generated by the line card at the other end, hence if TalkTalk have configured their line cards incorrectly it'll result in a different ring tone. Just like if you ring Germany from the UK, you will hear the German ringtone at the other end. Incidentally if anyone has a phone that reproduces the actual ring attached on such a line, their phone will ring differently, though most cordless phones generate their own ringtone once they receive the ring modulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.