• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK locomotives in preservation abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I only remember the Mk 1s at the Los Angeles restaurant. They were still in original BR blue/grey - you can generally tell the difference between original BR application and anything repainted by new owners.

Possibly the Thompsons were round the back, away from the road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
I only remember the Mk 1s at the Los Angeles restaurant. They were still in original BR blue/grey - you can generally tell the difference between original BR application and anything repainted by new owners.

I did some Googling to see if I could find pictures, but I didn't get anywhere. I'd love to see these.

eldomtom2

On Moderation

You must be either misremembering or thinking of a different location (or perhaps the restaurant got more coaches?) - the Mk1 and the Thompsons were in Pullman livery when sold, and repainted by the restaurant into red.

Speed43125

Back about 1980 there was a restaurant in Los Angeles next to the Universal Studios attraction, called Victoria Station. This was a chain, but this particular one was their star site. On a hillside, it had about six BR Mk 1 carriages, of various types, somewhat stripped out internally to make dining saloons, connected to a central kitchen building. BR blue/grey livery. Always looked bizarre seeing all this BR stock in California when driving by. Given the cost of shipping them over, I did wonder if they had come from some other project.

At the reception area they had the wonderful old huge Southern Railway wooden departure describer from Waterloo station, complete, that was replaced some time in the 1970s (I remember it being advertised for sale). It still had all the various destination and calling point wooden inserts, but of course set to nonsense combinations.

Restaurant long gone. I wonder what happened to it all.
I understand those were the Mk.1 brakes sold off from Flying Scotsman's failed tour in the USA - the state of California auctioned them off and they ended up there. Presumably scrapped after the restaurant closed.

Gloster

Established Member
On the RMweb site under the title Flying Scotsman US tour...the carriages there is further information. (Sorry, no chance of me doing a link.) It also mentions a British industrial in Kentucky.

geoffk

Established Member
think there are still 2 LMS jackshaft shunters in Italy
Certainly one at Arezzo. If we're going to include locos built for the WD, then there are four 2-10-0s in Greece and one in the Netherlands (Utrecht museum), also two Stanier 8Fs still in Turkey and one at Beersheba in Israel. Not sure if any of these worked in Britain during the War so maybe do not qualify under the OP's criteria.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

If Jersey locomotives count as UK ones then the only surviving Jersey steam locomotive is La Moye, still owned by the South African power company in whose service it had a far longing working life than it ever did in Jersey.
In a similar vein but for the opposite reason, if the Channel Islands are considered independent of the UK (they are self governing), then the 1959 Tube stock on Alderney would count. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney_Railway

pieguyrob

There’s one of the prototype railbuses somewhere in the states, someone was trying to repatriate it a while ago as it was up for sale and somewhat neglected.

Is it not at the Connecticut Trolley Museum? I believe it was the second of the three that were built?

D6130

Established Member
Certainly one at Arezzo.
The LMS designed jackshaft diesel-electric shunter operated by TFT out of Arezzo (LMS/WD nos. 7106/55 - later FS no.700 003 and still carrying that number under its present owners) is not preserved, but still in service....albeit irregularly. When not at Arezzo Pescaiola depot for servicing and/or fuelling, it is normally to found covering yard pilot duties at Bibbiena on the Stia line. Once in a blue moon it works the branch from there to the Baraclit concrete bridge beam factory at Ferrantina, about 4 km to the North-East....usually in tandem with ex-FS four wheel Greco shunters D225 7051 & 7069

Last edited:

Fireless

Do the NS class 600 shunter count? British design and built in the UK to a design very similar to the LMS class 11. Several preserved or still in use
The first ten locos of the 500 series (pretty much identical to the 600 series but without train brake equipment) were ex WD with No. 508 (WD 70269) being preserved at the national railway museum of Utrecht.
All other locos were delivered new to the NS.

The obvious one in the Netherlands is No. 1501 (ex BR 27003).

alexl92

Established Member
The Terrier Mafia have infiltrated large parts of the K&ESR and IOWSR. The Bressingham museum are corporate members with Marshmello. The Bluebell are not sure whether they want to be infiltrated by the Terrier Mafia or not, it might be below their big railway status although they do own Stepney and Frankenchurch both of which can be pushed around by a 9F or hired to other railways to be pulled around by good terriers. The Spa Valley desperately want to be infiltrated by the Terrier Mafia but haven't got there yet despite trying for many years (Sutton). The NRM are associate (stuffed category) members (Boxhill) but well its not Flying Scotsman is it?
;) ;)

This really made me laugh! :lol: It always annoys me that Boxhill is stuffed and mounted in a place where 90% of NRM visitors can't see it! Wouldn't mind if it was a more nondescript industrial in the kids' section, but it's the only Terrier in the top 2/3rds of the country so not to be able to have a nosey at it is so annoying!

silverfoxcc

When i was at The Canadian site in 2017 didn't find the Terrier, although i only had an hour to get around due to the Sat Nav giving up. It has improved since 2004 ( last visit) and you can walk under No 10, there is no inside conrod. Back in 2004 i had the loco to myself and wandered through the tender. there was also a WC crest on the wall...any idea what it came off of? no sign of that in 2017 either.

Oh and whislt on the subject of preservation in the US, they are going at it like knives, the amount of stuff that it being restored to running order is amazing, and the preserved lines. too many to shake a stick at

paul1609

Established Member
This really made me laugh! :lol: It always annoys me that Boxhill is stuffed and mounted in a place where 90% of NRM visitors can't see it! Wouldn't mind if it was a more nondescript industrial in the kids' section, but it's the only Terrier in the top 2/3rds of the country so not to be able to have a nosey at it is so annoying!
The terrier mafia have arranged a Yorksire viewing in view of your concerns and to advance education of "the northerners"! https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/

Darandio

Established Member
Is it not at the Connecticut Trolley Museum? I believe it was the second of the three that were built?

It's still listed on their site as part of the collection. However, they have been trying to sell it since at least 2013 and a couple of years ago they actually decided it wasn't part of the collection and seemed to want rid of it with more urgency. I'm not entirely sure exactly what has happened since but considering the state it was allowed to get into I wouldn't be surprised if it's either disappeared or getting close to it.

alexl92

Established Member
The terrier mafia have arranged a Yorksire viewing in view of your concerns and to advance education of "the northerners"! https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/
I KNOW! How ironic. But what's even more frustrating is that it's an hour from me and I can't go :( I wasn't all that excited for Keighley Gas Works No.2 and Caley 419 so hadn't planned to go and now I'm fully booked!

On a related note, I actually emailed the NRM last week to ask about their plans for Boxhill, pointing out that until 2 or 3 years ago I didn't even know that it was part of the National Collection. I had a very speedy, helpful reply back from them to say that Boxhill is planned to be moved into the Great Hall as part of their Vision2025 project, so that's really encouraging.

It's still listed on their site as part of the collection. However, they have been trying to sell it since at least 2013 and a couple of years ago they actually decided it wasn't part of the collection and seemed to want rid of it with more urgency. I'm not entirely sure exactly what has happened since but considering the state it was allowed to get into I wouldn't be surprised if it's either disappeared or getting close to it.
I hope someone brings it home if it's surplus to requirements. I'm not one of those 'the A4s are rightfully ours!' people but if any of the British locos abroad are no longer wanted by their custodians I'd love to see them brought back.

Gloster

Established Member
An article in the latest edition of Cumbrian Railways (the August one, no less) deals with an 0-4-0ST built by Manning, Wardle in 1912 for Vickers at Barrow, but sold in 1919 to Australia. Originally Cyclops, it is now Possum and is preserved in New South Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.