• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK place names - your favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Don't forget Horncastle, Hubbert's Bridge, Whaplode, Cowbit, Guthram Gowt, Burton Coggles, Threekingham, B**chfield, Horbling, Navenby, Norton Disney and Strubby!

More from Lincolnshire - Cherry Willingham and Boothby Graffoe (also a comedian).

Calthrop

Established Member
Hampshire has Hordle, Cocking and Lurgashall...

Literary associations connected with Hordle: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (late 19th century), and S.M. Stirling (very recent times) -- with much "homage" in the latter, to the former.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Pity Me & High Wham in Co Durham. The Land of Nod near Selby

There allegedly were other places in Co Durham but I can't find them on Google Maps:
Linger & die
Quaking Houses
Cooperative Villas
No Place (I think the last two were the same place)

No Place is near Stanley. It is a bit odd as the residents of Cooperative Villas knocked down the houses at No Place ( essentially over the road) and took the name for their settlement! At least that is story i was told by grand parents

Quaking House is also near Stanley - it is a small mining village. I assume the Quakers ( once prevalent in County Durham) explain the name

Linger and Die is near Sedgefield/Ferryhill but I am unsure if it still exists as a separate community if it ever did.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Bachelor's Bump near Hastings. There's also three hamlets in East Sussex called Cackle Street - something of a trend in Sussex, as the road I used to live in used to be called Cackle Street in days gone by.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Others just in County Durham:

Unthank
Muggleswick (one for the harry Potter fans there!)
Cockfield
Fatfield
Wackerfield
Deaf Hill
High/Low Wham

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Five Ways in Birmingham, Three Bridges, Sevenoaks which no longer has Seven Oak trees, Scronkey near Pilling, Sawley (pronounced Sally), Wizwell (pronounced Wizzle).

I believe new oaks were planted in Sevenoaks to replace those blown over in the great storm.

steamybrian

Established Member
Wivelsfield station is actually sited in a locality known as Worlds End which is part of the expanding Burgess Hill

satisnek

I'll nominate Barton in the Beans (near the Battlefield Line).

As for graffiti, did anybody save the Regional Railways Droitwich Spa nameboard on which some less-than-PC wag had added the suffix 'stics'?

Status
Not open for further replies.