• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Platform 8 s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shwam3

I don't know about a definitive list, but the following stations all have trains timetabled to use a platform 8:
  • BARKING
  • BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET
  • BRIGHTON
  • BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS
  • CAMBRIDGE
  • CARDIFF CENTRAL
  • CARLISLE
  • CLAPHAM JUNCTION
  • CREWE
  • DONCASTER
  • EDINBURGH
  • FINSBURY PARK
  • GLASGOW CENTRAL
  • GLASGOW QUEEN STREET
  • GUILDFORD
  • HIGHBURY & ISLINGTON
  • HUDDERSFIELD
  • LEEDS
  • LIVERPOOL LIME STREET
  • LONDON BRIDGE
  • LONDON EUSTON
  • LONDON KINGS CROSS
  • LONDON LIVERPOOL STREET
  • LONDON PADDINGTON
  • LONDON VICTORIA
  • LONDON WATERLOO
  • MANCHESTER PICCADILLY
  • NEWCASTLE
  • ORPINGTON
  • PLYMOUTH
  • READING
  • SHEFFIELD
  • ST PANCRAS INTERNATIONAL
  • STIRLING
  • STRATFORD
  • WATFORD JUNCTION
  • WIMBLEDON
  • YORK
Edit: This list comes from a timetable database I have, so only covers "national rail" stations. It also won't include any stations where trains aren't allocated platforms in the timetable.

Last edited:
Any particular reason for wondering about Platform 8s?
My lucky number so it's my quest to get a selfie at all of them

I don't know about a definitive list, but the following stations all have trains timetabled to use a platform 8:
  • BARKING
  • BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET
  • BRIGHTON
  • BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS
  • CAMBRIDGE
  • CARDIFF CENTRAL
  • CARLISLE
  • CLAPHAM JUNCTION
  • CREWE
  • DONCASTER
  • EDINBURGH
  • FINSBURY PARK
  • GLASGOW CENTRAL
  • GLASGOW QUEEN STREET
  • GUILDFORD
  • HIGHBURY & ISLINGTON
  • HUDDERSFIELD
  • LEEDS
  • LIVERPOOL LIME STREET
  • LONDON BRIDGE
  • LONDON EUSTON
  • LONDON KINGS CROSS
  • LONDON LIVERPOOL STREET
  • LONDON PADDINGTON
  • LONDON VICTORIA
  • LONDON WATERLOO
  • MANCHESTER PICCADILLY
  • NEWCASTLE
  • ORPINGTON
  • PLYMOUTH
  • READING
  • SHEFFIELD
  • ST PANCRAS INTERNATIONAL
  • STIRLING
  • STRATFORD
  • WATFORD JUNCTION
  • WIMBLEDON
  • YORK
wow super work

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What a fantastic question!

I got to 39 (honest!) and they are the same 38, plus Vauxhall.

Surprised that I have used 38 of them!

py_megapixel

Established Member
My lucky number so it's my quest to get a selfie at all of them
Just beware that you can't get onto some of them without going through ticket gates - in particular London termini, you probably can't get a decent photo of Platform 8 unless your train is leaving from that specific platform...

ABB125

Established Member
An interesting question. I can't think of any to add to the list off the top of my head, but to my surprise I've used 30 of the 39 so far!
I suppose this could be a good challenge for an All Line Rover! :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Moorgate has a Platform 8, albeit used by the Northern Line (but forms part of the Numbering sequence including the National Rail platforms)

miami

Established Member
Chester has 8 platforms, but only 1-7 are numbered - the other one is out of use.

As an aside, why are national rail making the "stations made easy" maps so bad, and inconsistent.

Compare the original type

With

Which is attrocious

Which is bad

Which is just about ok, but completely inconsistent

D6975

Established Member
I noticed the new '3D' maps a few weeks ago and agree that some of them are truly atrocious.

Parallel

Established Member
An interesting question. I can't think of any to add to the list off the top of my head, but to my surprise I've used 30 of the 39 so far!
I suppose this could be a good challenge for an All Line Rover! :D
Having looked at the list, I’ve used 31 of them - The ones I haven’t used are Cambridge, Doncaster, Guildford, Stirling, Stratford, Watford Junction, Wimbledon and Vauxhall.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I've not used - Birmingham New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Glasgow Central , Glasgow Queen Street, Guildford, Huddersfield, Leeds, Liverpool Lime Street, Orpington, Sheffield and Stirling. I've used all the others.

I've used 28 which is way more than I thought would have used.

xotGD

Established Member
Platform 2 at Newcastle used to be Platform 8. A nicer spot than the current P8.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just beware that you can't get onto some of them without going through ticket gates - in particular London termini, you probably can't get a decent photo of Platform 8 unless your train is leaving from that specific platform...

A travel card will sort that out, except that you’ll need a ticket to Brussels to get on one of the platforms anytime soon!

Moorgate has a Platform 8, albeit used by the Northern Line (but forms part of the Numbering sequence including the National Rail platforms)

I’m not having that!

I'm just missing Guildford, used all the others.

I’m just missing Plymouth, although have been through the station, very possibly through P8.

Thinking about it, I’ve been to all bar 3 of them through the course of my job!

I should make it clear that I haven’t actively been chasing these, as I didn’t know it was a thing. Indeed I don’t think it was until a few hours ago ;)

What numbering change caused that to happen? I highly doubt 6 new platforms were built in one go, were they?

It’s probably that several platforms were removed, possibly at resignalling in 1990.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What do you mean?

That if you buy a one day travelcard in London, you will be able to access every Platform 8 in the travelcard area (there’s 14) without having to board a train or worry about whether a train is there or not.

The exception is platform 8 at St Pancras International...

py_megapixel

Established Member
That if you buy a one day travelcard in London, you will be able to access every Platform 8 in the travelcard area (there’s 14) without having to board a train or worry about whether a train is there or not.

The exception is platform 8 at St Pancras International...
Oh, I see...

I thought you were suggesting that TfL were only selling travelcards to Eurostar passengers for some reason! When you said "to get one of them" I assumed you meant "to get a travelcard" not "to get a photo of a platform 8"; my mistake...

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Didn't think I was such a great train traveller but I have been to nearly all of them. Not Orpington and Barking

What about stations that have been rebuilt? There might be some platform numbers missing. Are numbers changed to run in sequence if platforms are removed or added?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It’s worth noting on that list Clapham Junction platform 8 is deemed out of use.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I wonder whats gone on with Platform 8 at Newcastle, I thought this was only 41 metres and so no longer able to be used now Pacers have been withdrawn?

Do you dare get involved with the question of stations that had a platform 8 that is still extant but out of use? Such as Bridlington?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Oh, I see...

I thought you were suggesting that TfL were only selling travelcards to Eurostar passengers for some reason! When you said "to get one of them" I assumed you meant "to get a travelcard" not "to get a photo of a platform 8"; my mistake...

Ah, my bad wording. Edited!

What about stations that have been rebuilt? There might be some platform numbers missing. Are numbers changed to run in sequence if platforms are removed or added?

Some are, some aren’t. Typically renumbering is done at the time of resignalling, as a lot of operational documentation has to be changed. Newcastle and York are good examples.

Doesn't Glasgow Queen Street have only 7 platforms?

Look downstairs...

Andrew S

It’s worth noting on that list Clapham Junction platform 8 is deemed out of use.
I think it's still accessible though, as it is on an island with platform 7 (I think).

There must be a few London Underground platform 8s too; Baker Street, Waterloo, Kings Cross St Pancras. Any more?

xotGD

Established Member
What numbering change caused that to happen? I highly doubt 6 new platforms were built in one go, were they?
The old P1-6 were removed, in two stages, and the new island platform was built. What were 7, 8, 9 and 10 became 1, 2, 3 and 4. The new island is 5, 6, 7 and 8. The former 11, 12, 13 and 14 are now 9, 10, 11 and 12.

Straightforward, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.