• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Platform 8 s

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm77

Platform 2 at Newcastle used to be Platform 8. A nicer spot than the current P8.

And I am old enough to remember that York platform 3 also used to be Platform 8 in the 1980s (I also remember catching an Edinburgh bound HST from platform 14, now platform 9 of course)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
And I am old enough to remember that York platform 3 also used to be Platform 8 in the 1980s (I also remember catching an Edinburgh bound HST from platform 14, now platform 9 of course)
Today's platforms 3 and 4 at York, in fact.

YorksLad12

Established Member
The current P5 at Leeds used to be P8 before May 1967. What was P8 after that is now P11.

Did Shrewsbury, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness every have an 8?
According to the SARPA newsletter (Aug 2010), "Until 1950 Shrewsbury had 9 platforms, and then they were renumbered and reduced to 7"

There is still an 8th platform of sorts with a rusty set of rails leading to it, although it's not numbered or publicly accessible. The remains are now more substantial than what's left of platforms 1 and 2.

ABB125

Established Member
According to the SARPA newsletter (Aug 2010), "Until 1950 Shrewsbury had 9 platforms, and then they were renumbered and reduced to 7"

There is still an 8th platform of sorts with a rusty set of rails leading to it, although it's not numbered or publicly accessible. The remains are now more substantial than what's left of platforms 1 and 2.
Thanks - I thought something like that might be the case.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
According to the Sectional Appendix, platform 8 is secured out of use. Do you have any info/links about the signalling works please?

I forget where I read it now, but all the sidings and the various crossovers are to be removed, with the new layout simply allowing for the 3 platforms in use (which will be renumbered), still controlled from the current box and no new data will emanate from it either.

Thebaz

You'll be able to add East Croydon to that list if the bottleneck unblocking proposals go ahead. It won't be for around 13 years though.

xotGD

Established Member
How many stations that used to have a P8 no longer exist?

The OP could extend the challenge, requiring photos to be taken in car parks, branches of Tesco, people's back gardens, etc.

mike57

Established Member
The operational platforms are 4-6.

Platform 7 and 8 are still extant tho, and one of them, I think 8, still has some track in it that is connected to the running lines. Until the imminent signalling works take place that is!
Not now I think. Redevelopment of the Hilderthorpe Road Car Park started around a week ago, and from photographs on our local Facebook page looks like the old excursion platforms are no longer.

Looks like the red outlined area has been cleared
1607939677776.png

Status
Not open for further replies.