• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[UK-RAIL] MML HST withdrawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

The 1st MML HST to be withdrawn is NL14 43059/060. Its last workings TODAY are 1225 stp-shf 1527 shf-stp 1825 stp-lds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

I wonder if 9 cars will take over from the withdrawl?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Withdrawing HSTs...Biggest retro-spective thinking move I've heard of lately. Still, those 9-car 222s are so much better than HSTs that they really should be used... :roll:

But of course! I've just realised! NatEx are in charge of MML, that's why! DMUs are ALWAYS better than MK3s! :roll:

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not overly happy with this idea...I hope the 222 breaks down spectacularly and prompts the re-instatement of the HST.

Guinness

Established Member
I've read on WNXX that the 222 cascade had the deal collopsed.

richa2002

Established Member
I can't see why they're doing this :?
The Meridian deal has fallen through.

Guinness

Established Member
Well GNER need extra HSTs for the Leeds services since the 373s are going. MML had extra 9 Car Trains which match the 4 Car 222s already in service. The 222s are faster at acceleration and HSTs are ageing and need replacing sooner or later.

Nick

HSTfan!!! said:
I would particularly like to see them go to preservation if not another TOC.

This has kind of already begun. HSTs (ex. Virgin) are often found at the WSR. Infact I beleive a few power cars are sitting down there, owned by First.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to rail-gen a 9 car 222 will be operating on monday

The first 9 car Class 222 will enter service on monday
working 0623 Not-Stp/0855 Stp-Not/1130 Not-Stp/1355
Stp-Not/1630 Not-Stp and 1855 Stp-Not.

The unit is unknown but I'm predicting 007 as it
completed its testing recently. The others will have
to undergo further tests due to being in storage.

Jim

Cheers

Guinness

Established Member
If there are spare Power Cars doing nothing then it would be an idea to hand some over to Bombardier or Alstom. If the Siemens version of the HST2 isn't up to standards then you can try out Bombardier's version instead of letting the project go to waste.....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is sad news. Not just because I like HSTs, I like the leg room, there's less that can go wrong and because they're still probably the UK's most popular and successful train, but ....

... it's very bad news for the wear and tear of the track and for efficiency. These new trains cause a lot of track damage and with all those engines they are inefficient.

They cost more to run and offer less seats. Progress? I think not!

Let's face it, the SRA is extremely embarrased at this and desperately wants MML to operate at least one just so that the SRA don't look so bad for ordering the white elephants.

This is another example of 'boiling frogs', it does the industry no favours. Ship them of to somewhere else (if anywhere will have them).

Some passengers from places like Nottingham, Sheffield etc already favour GNER over MML, and MML having more trains with underfloor engines will only widen this gap.

Even today with GNER engineering works extending journey times (via Hertford and the slow lines as far as Sandy) the passengers sat behind me had chosen to drive from Mansfield just north of Nottingham to Newark to get cheaper, faster, GNER than go with MML! MML needs to win custom from GNER and putting more underfloor engined DMUs on is not going to achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.