• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Stations no longer served by InterCity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
Nelson, and after singling of the Colne line from Rose Grove, Rose Grove, used to have a summer saturdays service to the south west (Paignton?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP62

Oh yes the Walsall-Great Yarmouth.

Was this train routed direct to Lichfield City or via Sutton Park?

From memory this one went into New St then the usual route to East Anglia. Think it called at Nuneaton so didn't use the avoiding line though one of the trains from the South Coast or SW did. It probably did use the avoider at Norwich though as well as the Ely curve.

Smethwickian

Yes, the Walsall to Yarmouth went via the usual route for Birmingham to Norwich trains of the time from New Street. It stood out in the local Walsall to Birmingham timetable of the time, being a very basic hourly all-stops service.

Sorry if this goes off-topic somewhat, but mention of the Sutton Park line here and on another thread about diversions, leads me to ponder. The only time I can recall a scheduled service in 'recent' times was during the Proof House blockade which closed all routes into Birmingham New Street from the east for a couple of weeks some time back in the 1980s.

There were a number of diversions and full use made of the Lifford north curve, Soho to Perry Barr line, and the Camp Hill avoiding line. Some trains from the north-east to south-west and south coast didn't call at New Street at all, but used stations such as Kings Norton, Small Heath and Water Orton where passengers changed to/from alternative local services, connections to Moor Street, and other diverted trains.

But the oddest would have been an early morning train which started at Wolverhampton at 05-something, normally via New Street, to Peterborough and, I think, Harwich Parkeston Quay (as it was then). During the blockade, it still started at Wolves but stopped first at Water Orton. Now, would I be right in thinking to this day that that could only be via Walsall and the Sutton Park line?

Those were the days when bank holidays and major engineering works brought a full supplement to the Great Britain Timetable, and I'm sure I still have a copy somewhere to confirm the dates and times, but does anyone else remember it?

Last edited:

phil8715

Indeed there was such a working.

The amount of summer saturday loco hauled workings all over the network in the 70's/early 80's was unbelievable when you look back.

I always thought Stranraer to Blackpool was a real 'oddball' service.

I remember that service very well. They used the Sealink liveried mk1 stock. It usually got a roarer from Glasgow to Preston then usually a 47. But only did it to Blackpool if a 40 dropped on it.

AJP62

Yes, the Walsall to Yarmouth went via the usual route for Birmingham to Norwich trains of the time from New Street. It stood out in the local Walsall to Birmingham timetable of the time, being a very basic hourly all-stops service.

Sorry if this goes off-topic somewhat, but mention of the Sutton Park line here and on another thread about diversions, leads me to ponder. The only time I can recall a scheduled service in 'recent' times was during the Proof House blockade which closed all routes into Birmingham New Street from the east for a couple of weeks some time back in the 1980s.
There were a number of diversions and full use made of the Lifford north curve, Soho to Perry Barr line, and the Camp Hill avoiding line. Some trains from the north-east to south-west and south coast didn't call at New Street at all, but used stations such as Kings Norton, Small Heath and Water Orton where passengers changed to/from alternative local services, connections to Moor Street, and other diverted trains.

But the oddest would have been an early morning train which started at Wolverhampton at 05-something, normally via New Street, to Peterborough and, I think, Harwich Parkeston Quay (as it was then). During the blockade, it still started at Wolves but stopped first at Water Orton. Now, would I be right in thinking to this day that that could only be via Walsall and the Sutton Park line?

Those were the days when bank holidays and major engineering works brought a full supplement to the Great Britain Timetable, and I'm sure I still have a copy somewhere to confirm the dates and times, but does anyone else remember it?

There was a summer Saturday train routed this way for the duration of the summer timetable in the early 80s. From memory it was a Liverpool to Penzance which ran during the week too but on the normal route via New Street. On the Saturdays it would be diesel hauled from Liverpool and shown as non-stop Crewe to Gloucester. Before Wolves it would cut off for Bescot at Bushbury Junc(?) then before Bescot head off through Walsall Station, through Sutton Park then past Saltley and up Camp Hill bank to come back out on its normal route at King Norton. after Gloucester I think it took up its normal times.

Got it one Saturday in 1981 and with other trains that day covered all three sides of the Lifford Triangle and the Nuneaton avoider as it was then.

Batman

There was a summer Saturday train routed this way for the duration of the summer timetable in the early 80s. From memory it was a Liverpool to Penzance which ran during the week too but on the normal route via New Street. On the Saturdays it would be diesel hauled from Liverpool and shown as non-stop Crewe to Gloucester. Before Wolves it would cut off for Bescot at Bushbury Junc(?) then before Bescot head off through Walsall Station, through Sutton Park then past Saltley and up Camp Hill bank to come back out on its normal route at King Norton. after Gloucester I think it took up its normal times.

Got it one Saturday in 1981 and with other trains that day covered all three sides of the Lifford Triangle and the Nuneaton avoider as it was then.

I didn't think any timetabled passenger trains have used the Sutton Park line since the 1960's. So that's come as a shock.

And did Walsall only have an hourly all stations service to birmingham back then? Was the service really that back?

burty76

Worcester still has "InterCty" services, but I use the speech marks to denote that even with redoubling, the padding and stopping at the likes of Honeybourne and Shipton by HST's means its a local service in all but name.

However it used to be served until about 1982 by InterCity services on the Cross-Country route as part of a regular timetable. 3 or 4 trains a day from Manchester or York/Leeds to Bristol and beyond called each way.

It should still be really, and XC could stop Manchester - Bristols there without any pathing/stock issues. They wont though, as it adds 15 mins to the journey :(

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Worcester still has "InterCty" services, but I use the speech marks to denote that even with redoubling, the padding and stopping at the likes of Honeybourne and Shipton by HST's means its a local service in all but name.

However it used to be served until about 1982 by InterCity services on the Cross-Country route as part of a regular timetable. 3 or 4 trains a day from Manchester or York/Leeds to Bristol and beyond called each way.

It should still be really, and XC could stop Manchester - Bristols there without any pathing/stock issues. They wont though, as it adds 15 mins to the journey :(
Don't get me started… ;)

It even had a service to Cardiff Central, albeit limited, up to the end of 2007.

Batman

Don't get me started… ;)

If wanted to be really mean I could get you started by suggesting we move all those nice lovely Birmingham - Hereford semi fast trains into Snow Hill.

But because I'm a nice person, I'm still in favour of 2tph New Street - Worcester, linked into the Tamworth/Leicester to Worcerster/Hereford cross city project,

burty76

If wanted to be really mean I could get you started by suggesting we move all those nice lovely Birmingham - Hereford semi fast trains into Snow Hill.

But because I'm a nice person, I'm still in favour of 2tph New Street - Worcester, linked into the Tamworth/Leicester to Worcerster/Hereford cross city project,
They could do that now in the current timetable with the current stock available. The trains wait 40 minutes at New Street before returning, and have ridiculous slack between University and there.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It isn't helped by the single track section between Droitwich Spa and Stoke Works Jct., though that could be easily fixed by creating a short section of double track south of the latter junction.

2tph is already achieved at peak time however.

There already is a thread on the Worcester-Nuneaton/Tamworth services.

Batman

They could do that now in the current timetable with the current stock available. The trains wait 40 minutes at New Street before returning, and have ridiculous slack between University and there.

I've never understood why they don't do that. It's probably to do with funding.

But I've said on othe threads before, that 2tph New Stree - Foregate Street would be a cheaper alternative to extending the Cross City line Bromsgrove.

Would the extra train per hour be able to run to Malvern and back in the current timetable, with current stock? And would it need to reverse at Shrub Hill in both directions?

The extra train should stop at Barnt Green for connections to Redditch and the Birmingham Hereford service should skip the stop at Univeristy, which doesn't need more than 8tph.

The hourly Nottingham - Cardff service should also stop at Bromsgrove to give it 3tph, if that stop can be acomodated in the current timetable.

Cross city extension to Bromsgove isn't needed, although a re-development of the station is.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If you're going to talk about it, please don't make this thread off-topic by using this thread already mentioned.

Nym

Established Member
OK, late comer into this thread, but I'm going to say that

ALL UK stations are no longer served by InterCity, it hasn't existed since privatization...

Status
Not open for further replies.