• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK to Australian train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggitydg

Hiya,

I'm a fully licensed english driver, but i'm interested in moving to Australia to drive the iron ore trains in the West. I've spoken to an Underground driver who said they poached loads off the district line around 10 years ago or so, that would mean they take non freight drivers without loco experience (me) but finding a listing is next to impossible, i decided to apply for a controller position, but my application was stopped after i stated i didn't currently have the right to work in australia. Are there any ex UK drivers that have made the move? Be a big help to hear more about the process especially making contact with companies (i've only looked at BHP billiton and dealing with Visas. (I feel like after obtaining a job offer it would fairly easy as a commenwealth citizen to get permission to work) Thanks in advance for any help and drive safe!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

russmcp

Hiya,

I'm a fully licensed english driver, but i'm interested in moving to Australia to drive the iron ore trains in the West. I've spoken to an Underground driver who said they poached loads off the district line around 10 years ago or so, that would mean they take non freight drivers without loco experience (me) but finding a listing is next to impossible, i decided to apply for a controller position, but my application was stopped after i stated i didn't currently have the right to work in australia. Are there any ex UK drivers that have made the move? Be a big help to hear more about the process especially making contact with companies (i've only looked at BHP billiton and dealing with Visas. (I feel like after obtaining a job offer it would fairly easy as a commenwealth citizen to get permission to work) Thanks in advance for any help and drive safe!

You'll need sponsoring as it isn't on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). Reason being is that they can get the required vacancies filled by people living there already.

The mining boom is slowing down as the demands from China and India aren't as big as it has been.

What did you do before you worked on the railway? You may have a skill that's on the SOL?

Any family out there?

I suggest you log onto britishexpats.com, seek out the forums read the stickies and ask the question there.

I'll be honest I think your chances of getting a residential visa or sponsored to go out there by a company are very slim.

I had the chance to a few years back with my old occupation but the other half didn't want to live there.

Been a few times now and love it, but it's far from perfect.

Robcuk

Hiya,

You will not be sponsored by a train company in Australia - you would have to obtain residency first and then apply.

The boom in mining as you kind of suggest was around ten years ago and I believe freight opportunities are on the wain.

Melbourne commuter drivers would be the higher paid and seen to recruit fairly regularly. Sydney trains are currently recruiting but you will need the right to work to apply.

Take a look

http://locoexpress.com.au/deja-vu-wa-coal-miners-hit-with-43-pay-cut/

class 9

Rio Tinto are working on a project to introduce Driverless trains on iron ore workings in the Pilbara region in Western Australia.

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Rio Tinto are working on a project to introduce Driverless trains on iron ore workings in the Pilbara region in Western Australia.

A google search reveals that the project is running at least two years late. But the mining sector is still healthy as demand from China has picked up recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.