• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK trains that have been exported to other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently trying to make a list of all UK trains that have been exported to other countries. So far i have found these ones.

• Australia - class 08 - Sixteen class 08 locomotives were built for and exported to Australia.

• Belgium - class 14 - Two class 14 locomotives were exported to Belgium.

• Belgium - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Belgium for freight.

• Brazil - sentinel shunter - Three Sentinel Shunter steam locomotives (8398 / 8399 / 8400) were exported to Brazil for use on the Amsted Maxion Railway in Cuzeiro. These are apperently still in use?

• Bulgaria - class 86 - Some class 86 locomotives were exported to Bulgaria for use on freight.

• Bulgaria - class 87 - Some class 87 locomotives were exported to Bulgaria for use on freight.

• Bulgaria - class 92 - Some class 92 locomotives were exported to Bulgaria for use on freight.

• Canada - mk4 coaching stock - Some ex Nightstar mk4 coaching stock was exported to Canada.

• Cuba - class 47 - Ten class 47 locomotives were built for and exported to Cuba. I am not sure what the current status of these is?

• Denmark - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Denmark for freight.

• Denmark - mk3 coaching stock - Some mk3 coaches were exported to Denmark.

• Egypt - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Egypt.

• Egypt - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Egypt for passenger services.

• France - class 20 - Some class 20 locomotives were exported to France for use on freight.

• France - class 56 - Some class 56 locomotives were exported to France for use on freight.

• France - class 58 - Some class 58 locomotives were exported to France for use on freight.

• France - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in France for freight.

• Gabon - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Gabon for passenger services on the Libreville to Franceville line.

• Germany - class 59 - A class 59 locomotive (59003) was exported to Germany for use on freight.

• Germany - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Germany for freight.

• Guinea - class 10 - Two class 10 locomotives (D3639 / D3649) were exported to Guinea for use on local duties around Conakry. I am not sure what the current status of these are?

• Hungary - class 56 - Some class 56 locomotives were exported to Hungary for use with Floyd on freight services.

• Hungary - class 47 - A class 47 locomotive (47375) was exported to Hungary.

• Hungary - class 86 - Some class 86 locomotives were exported to Hungary for use with Floyd on freight services.

• Indonesia - class 141 - A class 141 prototype was exported to Indonesia

• Iran - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Iran.

• Iran - class 141 - Twelve class 141 units (141 102 / 141 105 / 141 107 / 141 109 / 141 111 / 141 114 / 141 115 / 141 116 / 141 117 / 141 118 / 141 119 / 141 120) were exported to Iran for use on local railway lines around Tehran. I believe that these are all now in storage yards?

• Iraq - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Iraq.

• Israel - Class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Israel.

• Israel - mk1 coaching stock - Some mk1 coaching stock was exported to Israel.

• Israel - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaching stock was exported to Israel.

• Italy - class 03 - Nine class 03 locomotives were exported to Italy.

• Italy - class 04 - Four class 04 locomotives were exported to Italy.

• Italy - class 06 - One class 06 locomotive was exported to Italy.

• Italy - class 07 - One class 07 locomotive was exported to Italy.

• Italy - class 14 - Two class 14 locomotives were exported to Italy.

• Kenya - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaches were built for and exported to Kenya.

• Liberia - class 08 - Five class 08 locomotives (3047 / 3092 / 3094 / 3098 / 3100) were exported to Liberia for use on the Buchanan to Yekepa railway line. I believe that these are all now in storage yards?

• Liberia - class 126 - Five class 126 (DMBS) coaches (79091 / 79093 / 79094 / 79096 / 79097) were exported to Liberia for the Buchanan to Yekepa railway line. I believe that these are all now in storage yards?

• Luxembourg - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Luxembourg for freight.

• Malaysia - class 141 - A class 141 prototype was exported to Malaysia.

• Netherlands - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Netherlands for freight.

• Netherlands - class 77 - The entire fleet of seven class 77 locomotives were exported to the Netherlands.

• Netherlands - class 141 - Two class 141 units (141 106 / 141 112) were exported to Netherlands (i believe to Moerdijk). I am not sure what they were used for or what their current status is?

• New Zeland - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaching stock was exported to New Zeland.

• Norway - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Norway for freight.

• Palestine - class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Palestine.

• Poland - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Poland for freight.

• Portugal - class 20 - Some class 20 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

• Portugal - class 50 - Some class 50 locomotives were built for and exported to Portugal.

• Romania - class 92 - Some class 92 locomotives were exported to Romania for use on freight.

• Russia - class 03 - One class 03 locomotive was exported to Russia. I am not sure on much details about this one?

• Spain - class 14 - Three class 14 locomotives were exported to Spain.

• Spain - class 37 - Some class 37 locomotives were exported to Spain for use on freight.

• Spain - class 58 - Some class 58 locomotives were exported to Spain for use on Freight.

• Sweden - class 11 - Two class 11 locomotives were exported to Sweden.

• Sweden - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Sweden for freight.

• Taiwan - mk2 coaching stock - Some mk2 coaches were built for and exported to Taiwan.

• Thailand - class 141 - A class 141 prototype was exported to Thailand.

• Thailand - class 158 - Some class 158 units were built for and exported to Thailand.

• Thailand - class 360 - Some class 360 units (4x four coach [red] units and 5x three coach [blue] units) were exported to Thailand. These trains were built in Germany but are a UK style train.

• Trinidad & Tobago - class 109 - Two class 109 units (four coaches) [50415/56170 and 50419/56174] were exported to Trinidad & Tobago for use on passenger services. I am not sure what the current status of these is?

• Turkey - Class 8F - Some class 8F steam locomotives were exported to Turkey.

Does anyone know any more information about these? In particular there does not seem to be that much information about the trains that were exported to Guinea and Iran and Liberia.

Also are there any other trains that have been exported to any other countries that i have missed out from this list?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
A couple of 20s ended their lives on freight for CFD in France based at Autun.

The EM2 Co-Co electrics were sold to NS after the Woodhead passenger service was withdrawn.

DSB acquired a number of Mk 3 sleepers when these because surplus and Denmark still had an overnight train pair. And we won't mention the Nightstar stock which is AFAIK still in use in Canada....

Going back further, large numbers of steam locos saw wartime service in mainland Europe and the Middle East, and I think some ended their lives there (Stanier 8Fs in Turkey...) or were repatriated.
Some of those were purpose-built for overseas, but the latest posts seem to include that as well as stock sold on from UK railway use.

The EM2 Co-Co electrics were sold to NS after the Woodhead passenger service was withdrawn.

DSB acquired a number of Mk 3 sleepers when these because surplus and Denmark still had an overnight train pair. And we won't mention the Nightstar stock which is AFAIK still in use in Canada....

Going back further, large numbers of steam locos saw wartime service in mainland Europe and the Middle East, and I think some ended their lives there (Stanier 8Fs in Turkey...) or were repatriated.
Some of those were purpose-built for overseas, but the latest posts seem to include that as well as stock sold on from UK railway use.

Thanks for the info. I didnt realise quite how many trains had been exported to other countries.

Another one to add to the list is some class 109 trains that were exported to Trinidad & Tobago.

Quakkerillo

Regarding the 141's at Moerdijk (The Netherlands). They were either intented to get staff at the Moerdijk port to/from the port from Lage Zwaluwe station, something that never happened.
Or they were to be shipped from Moerdijk port to another country, but I'm not sure if that happened either.

abn444

There is the Gautrain trains, which whilst that specific design was not used in Britain as far as I know, were part of the Electrostar family with a number of cars manufactured in Derby with the rest apparently being made in South Africa with British parts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautrain

Groningen

Established Member
Dutch locomotief 1500:
Treinen-0874.jpg

There are British diesellocomotives at Kijfhoek.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Were not some of the coaches that comprise the Orient Express train built by Metropolitan Cammell?

MisterT

Regarding the 141's at Moerdijk (The Netherlands). They were either intented to get staff at the Moerdijk port to/from the port from Lage Zwaluwe station, something that never happened.
Or they were to be shipped from Moerdijk port to another country, but I'm not sure if that happened either.
Actually, according to http://www.nols-maatschappij.info/Exploitanten/Connexxion.htm, the units were intended for use on the Almelo - Mariënberg branch line.
The website states that the trains were never put in service because the trains didn't come with any spare parts (and there were none available), there was zero knowledge about the trains in the Netherlands, the platforms had to be adjusted to the smaller body width, which would make it impossible for other trains to use the branch line and finally, asbestos was found in the units when they arrived in the Netherlands.
In the end, two Dutch DH1 units were leased instead of using those two 141 units.

A picture of the units at Moerdijk in 2005: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spoorstad/14772513286

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Obviously vast numbers of UK-designed and -built locos were exported, but generally they were specific export designs.

Going back to designs used on UK railways, NS had (has?) 0-6-0 shunters to the LMS design that preceded the 08s.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
• Egypt - class 66 - Some class 66 locomotives are used in Egypt for passenger services.

Weren't these delivered direct from the factory to Egypt and have never set wheel on the UK?

An addition: In the early 1980s, the Hong Kong Metro fleet was built at Met Cam in Birmingham.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Strasbourg trams built in Derby? Mk2 stock sold to NZ?
The NZ "electric spine" (North Island Main Trunk, Hamilton-Palmerston North) uses electric locos built by Brush Traction in 1988 (class EF).
Wiki claims that the design fed into the Brush-built Eurotunnel shuttle locos.

The first foreign railway I ever used, the Lisbon-Cascais suburban line in 1972, had trains built by GEC and Cravens.
I think they may have provided the whole electrification package too.
http://www.lusoweb.co.uk/estoril.htm

There are many museum exhibits of British locos in foreign museums.
This one, of "Oom Gerrie", built by Neilson in Glasgow in 1901 (later North British) is at Mafeking/Mafikeng/Mahikeng in South Africa.
http://steam-locomotives-south-africa.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/mafikeng-museum-sar-class-6h-steam.html

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
• Iran - class 141 - Twelve class 141 units (141 102 / 141 105 / 141 107 / 141 109 / 141 111 / 141 114 / 141 115 / 141 116 / 141 117 / 141 118 / 141 119 / 141 120) were exported to Iran for use on local railway lines around Tehran. I believe that these are all now in storage yards?

Some of them turned into ghosts later in life. They give the 142/3/4s nightmares every single night which in turn makes them have a bad day (screechy wheels, hot cabins from sweating, you know that sort of Pacer stuff!)

notverydeep

A small number of early Mark 2 coaches (BFKs I think, either 2B or 2C I think), were sold second hand to the Israeli Railways in the 1970s. It would be interesting if anyone has photos of these or information on how long they lasted.

Last edited:

contrex

Second hand Mk 2s to New Zealand and Israel. Lots of 3 kV DC locos to South Africa. BREL/GEC supplied EMU1000 series emus to Taiwan (very Mk 2 looking these).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A small number of early Mark 2 coaches (BFKs I think, either 2B or 2C I think), were sold second hand to the Israeli Railways in the 1970s. It would be interesting if anyone has photos of these or information on how long they lasted.

A mark 1 being used as accommodation, and further down the page a mark 2 in a rake of other coaches...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109914-surprising-find-in-israel/

There may be some in Kenya too, I think (not sure).

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Limiting my list to ex BR locomotives and post BR locomotives i.e. not built for export:

Class 03 - nine exported to Italy, one exported to Russia.
Class 04 - three exported to Italy, 1 remained in use and was available for sale in 2015.
Class 06 - one exported to Italy
Class 07 - one exported to Italy
Class 08 - five exported to Liberia - Lamco - same as the DMUs listed above.
Class 10 - two exported to Guinea
Class 14 - three exported to Spain, two to Italy

From mainline classes, examples from classes 20, 37, 47, 56, 58, 59, 66, 86, 87, 92

The list is those I know about, is not comprehensive, there were undoubtedly more. Various databases are available on-line but none are entirely reliable i.e. they occasionally disagree with each other.

Back in the day when we had an empire, and therefore a guaranteed market for our manufacturing goods, companies sent models all over the place. Some of these still exist although accurate, up-to-date information is difficult to come by.

For example Sudan has some nice English Electric locos, along with more recent GM locos, rotting away in sidings to a lack of spare parts.

Regarding Liberia: The Derby Sulzers page mentioned in a previous post has a good account of life as an ex-pat driver working for Lamco in Liberia. Elsewhere there are more recent pictures of the remains of the locos and DMU - stripped to bare chunks of metal during the many years of civil war and turmoil. More recently the line has been rebuilt and the engineer for ArcelorMittal, rebuilding the railway, speaks highly of the Timken axleboxes - good to go after decades of sitting around in the jungle.

Attachments

• 10 - liberia10020.jpg
    10 - liberia10020.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 15 - iberia10025.jpg
    15 - iberia10025.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some of the ones I can think of worked abroad but then came back so I'm not sure if you wanted them listed? They are GWR Dean Goods, GWR 4300 class and GCR 04. Some of these maybe didn't come back?
There's also the 37s sent to Spain and the 56s sent to France for building high speed lines.

There were 4 class 04 shunters exported to Italy and also some class 14s exported, five altogether, two to Belgium and three to Spain I think.

Edit - I spent so long writing this out that Baxendon Bank beat me to it :)
Oh and his was much better actually.

Last edited:

contrex

Dick, Kerr & Co paid for the electrification (and the rolling stock) of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway's Bury - Holcombe Brook line at 3,500 V DC because they were considering bidding for a contract for Brazil (they didn't get it, but they did a lot of business in South America and various parts of the Empire, tramcars, locos, electrification schemes, generating plant, as well as more contracts from the LYR). Holcombe Brook was later converted to 1,200v third rail to match the Manchester-Bury scheme. Before conversion could be completed the 3.5 kV system failed in 1917 and for a while 1200 volts was fed into the OHL at Bury, picked up by pantographs of a 3,500 volt motor car and passed by cable to the motors of a permanently coupled 1,200 volt car.

Thank you for all your replies. Much appreciated. I will add all of these others to the list.

Its a shame that it is so hard to find out about the current status of some of these trains. And photos are quite hard to find as well. It is nice to see some photos of the remains of those 08 and 126 trains though.

Where in Russia did that 03 go to? And was it converted to Broad Gauge?

I would really like to travel to these countries at some point to see these trains (even just the remains sitting in the storage yards) but unfortunately it seems like places such as Guinea and Iran and Liberia are not very safe countries to visit.

MK Tom

Established Member
Pretty much all of the 'class 66s' you mentioned are EMD Series 66s built for those countries in the United States or Canada and not British exports.

The EMD Series 66 and the Irish 201 Class are derivatives of the Class 59 though.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It would seem relevant to mention the class 47 derivatives built for Cuba here as well.

Last edited:

Gordon

The first foreign railway I ever used, the Lisbon-Cascais suburban line in 1972, had trains built by GEC and Cravens.

And a North British electric BoBo loco

and I think some ended their lives there (Stanier 8Fs in Turkey...)

I was lucky enough to see the 8Fs in active use in Turkey in the early 1980s

I
• France Some class 58 locomotives were exported to France for use on Freight.
• Spain - Some class 37 locomotives were exported to Spain for use on freight.
• Spain - Some class 58 locomotives were exported to Spain for use on Freight.

The 37s 56s and 58s were specifically used in France and Spain on high speed railway construction duties rather than 'freight' in the general sense of the term. In France they generally did not actually work away from the line under construction .

Were not some of the coaches that comprise the Orient Express train built by Metropolitan Cammell?

I was in deepest northern Anatolian Turkey in 1984 in a grimy dusty steelworks town called Karabuk, at the station there was a CIWL wagon lits coach in a siding still proudly sporting its makers plate - Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon 1920-something

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
Pretty much all of the 'class 66s' you mentioned are EMD Series 66s built for those countries in the United States or Canada and not British exports.

Not really, a lot of the french 66s come from EWS - and a lot still have the EWS livery.

Some of the Ex-Nightstar stock are still in use in Canada on the service between Halifax and Montreal.
The baggage car at the front of the train ( Converted from a sleeper shell ) has an AAR buckeye coupling at one end to connect to the locomotive.
The cars were heavily modified to handle winter conditions.
The car at the back of the train also has an AAR coupler and gangway to connect with the Budd dome/observation car.

Status
Not open for further replies.