• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK vs continental ticket format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
The trouble with combing the reservation and ticket on one card is it's only going to work if there is only one reserved train on a journey. And that bit about "If you miss this train you'll have to buy another ticket" might not even be the case depending on why the passenger missed the train, so it's no good putting that on there.

I fail to see what's wrong with the way the info is presented now. It clearly states what train you're supposed to be on, which carriage and which seat.

SS4

Established Member
Has anyone seen this before?

http://www.cxpartners.co.uk/cxblog/...oosing_travellers_money_and_need_redesigning/

He makes some very good points. Sure, there would be issues but I do think that something really needs to be done to simplify the issue.

I agree with his plain English but not his reasoning beyond it. Advance tickets are not at all difficult to understand.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The trouble with combing the reservation and ticket on one card is it's only to work if there is only one reserved train on a journey. And that bit about "If you miss this train you'll have to buy another ticket" might not even be the case depending on why the passenger missed the train, so it's no good putting that on there.

I fail to see what's wrong with the way the info is presented now. It clearly states what train you're supposed to be on, which carriage and which seat.

It's quite simple: passengers want their rights but not their responsibilities

island

Veteran Member
I agree with his plain English but not his reasoning beyond it. Advance tickets are not at all difficult to understand.

For us, maybe. But for normals, it's completely different. Mrs. island's eyes glaze over whenever I hand her a brick of tickets for her Advance journey, and whenever I'm travelling with her and the gripper shows up she hands me everything and tells me to pick out which coupons to show.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
And a lot of people used to using Advance fares think that they must travel on the booked train with Off Peak tickets because they automatically get a reservation when buying online...

Bungle73

On Moderation
For us, maybe. But for normals, it's completely different. Mrs. island's eyes glaze over whenever I hand her a brick of tickets for her Advance journey, and whenever I'm travelling with her and the gripper shows up she hands me everything and tells me to pick out which coupons to show.
I consider myself a "normal". My first experience of having to deal with Advance tickets was in May when I went to York, and I found the information on them self-explanatory.

And a lot of people used to using Advance fares think that they must travel on the booked train with Off Peak tickets because they automatically get a reservation when buying online...

You only get a reservation with on off-peak ticket when buying online if you request one

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You only get a reservation with on off-peak ticket when buying online if you request one

I'm being picky here, but it depends on the booking system :P - thetrainline-based ones (including Virgin, FGW, Scotrail etc) will give you one whether you want it or not! ATOS Origin systems (including redspottedhanky, LM, Southern etc) will make it explicit that you can choose a ticket without choosing a particular train, and hence not be issued with a reservation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.