• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UKRailtours Tour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A 'Powerful Pennine Panorama,' although it isn't specified what locomotive in particular makes it 'powerful'...
Well it says:

and each train will be piloted by a powerful freight locomotive for part of the journey

So that could just be a 66 :lol:

Though I presume they're aiming for something more like a 60 or 70 or similar. A bit more interesting than just a 66 which hauls a lot of their tours usually.

Iskra

Established Member
Well it says:

So that could just be a 66 :lol:

Though I presume they're aiming for something more like a 60 or 70 or similar. A bit more interesting than just a 66 which hauls a lot of their tours usually.
Well, a lot of their tours run with 67’s so it could be 67’s then a 66 added on later on :D

Traction provider for UkRailtours is usually DB so can only really be 60/66/67. Hopefully they are planning a 60 to be involved, but it’s much easier to decide on booking a railtour when the traction is advertised specifically!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh that tour visiting my city in late February has my attention. I shall have to make an effort to observe it somewhere if my shifts at the time allow it (they're due to change yet again after New Year).

If it works out well, for any forum members visiting I'd be happy to give them a quick
guided tour of some highlights in my city :) Highlights would include such things as good vantage points for the cathedral, the remains of the city wall, possibly a short walk along the River Wye and a couple of other bits if there's time. Anyone interested, to avoid dragging the thread off-topic too much feel free to PM me about it :)

That tour particularly appeals purely for the curve that avoids Shrewsbury, but given I've passed on doing a tour that involves long-wanted track in South Wales then it's not likely I'll be on that tour even for that.

Whatever turns up on these tours, I hope it's something any forum member attending wants. Always a chance UKR might hire in a 68 for the Pennine tour, or to really bring in the appeal an 88? Route clearance would potentially be an issue there though, unless of course it's used only on the electric bits?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Always a chance UKR might hire in a 68 for the Pennine tour, or to really bring in the appeal an 88?
It is expected to be crewed by DB Cargo so a 68 is highly doubtful. An 88 doesn't fit the billing on diesel power.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I would expect if it's a 66, it will be a 'big' one, such of one of the ones repatriated from France which hasn't worked a passenger train before. If you want to guarantee a 60, I'd suggest going out a week earlier!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is expected to be crewed by DB Cargo so a 68 is highly doubtful. An 88 doesn't fit the billing on diesel power.

Doubtful but who knows? Until it's announced as being a 66 or whatever, it's still a possibility.

I would also hope, if it is a 66, that the bulk of the run up/down the electrified lines gets a suitable locomotive. Time that the charter industry started bucking it's ideas up and stop running diesel locos until hundreds of miles of wires whenever possible.

Probably just as well I'm not planning to travel on a charter train any time soon then...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I would also hope, if it is a 66, that the bulk of the run up/down the electrified lines gets a suitable locomotive. Time that the charter industry started bucking it's ideas up and stop running diesel locos until hundreds of miles of wires whenever possible.
It is not uncommon for an electric locomotive to be used where the tour goes a long distance under wires. However, there aren't any electric locomotives currently running which are 'rare' or 'big'.

Doubtful but who knows? Until it's announced as being a 66 or whatever, it's still a possibility.
There's been enough posted to make it clear it wouldn't be a 68.

Again, 68s aren't rare enough to justify being the main attraction of a railrour now.

Iskra

Established Member
I would expect if it's a 66, it will be a 'big' one, such of one of the ones repatriated from France which hasn't worked a passenger train before. If you want to guarantee a 60, I'd suggest going out a week earlier!
Quite, and that’s why I’m booked on the Pathfinder Tour as they are clear about what their itinerary involves so I don’t mind the outlay for it! Of course, their pick up points are more suitable for me too, as UKRT are more aiming at the London market.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is not uncommon for an electric locomotive to be used where the tour goes a long distance under wires. However, there aren't any electric locomotives currently running which are 'rare' or 'big'.

There's been enough posted to make it clear it wouldn't be a 68.

Again, 68s aren't rare enough to justify being the main attraction of a railrour now.

Does it matter if it's a 'big' locomotive with the electric? Actually rather curious what your answer is.

It clearly matters not to me, although I can understand the desire for an unusual choice to be made. Still, surely what is 'big' for some is not going to be interest to the others, if we're talking sticky digits.

Kite159

Veteran Member
For railtour operators it's a balancing game between having a 'rare' loco on the front for the tour, because they know some will only pay up for the part-fare to do the charter between pick up (or set down) stops to get it into their book rather than paying for the entire tour.

Of course I suspect there will be some who will pay out for the full tour if a rare loco is booked to show up on a section on the tour where part faring isn't possible (for example something attaching to the train after the last pick-up stop & being removed after the first set-down, or is on the rear of a top & tail service which reverses throughout the day so the loco leading at the start going from A to F picking up passengers is the same loco which will be leading as it goes back from F to A dropping passengers off.

As for the Pennie tour, I would imagine it will be a 67 leading for the bulk of the tour, with a 66 popping up along the way to be on the rear to reverse the train as it covers something

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As for the Pennie tour, I would imagine it will be a 67 leading for the bulk of the tour, with a 66 popping up along the way to be on the rear to reverse the train as it covers something
Isn't the 'powerful' locomotive explicitly advertised as going on the front for a not immaterial part of the itinerary on this particular trip?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't the 'powerful' locomotive explicitly advertised as going on the front for a not immaterial part of the itinerary on this particular trip?

Depends what you would class as a "Powerful" loco, as some would say a 67 is 'powerful', likewise a 66.

D6130

Established Member
I would imagine that to be true. The problem with using a 60 across the Pennines would be that they are limited to a maximum speed of 60 mph, whereas a 66 can do 75. That would make quite a difference in trying to path the special in between the frequent TPE services on the Standedge route or the frequent Northern services on the Calder Valley line. Are any timings available yet, or does anyone know which route it will be taking across the Pennines? Can't find it on RTT yet.

_toommm_

Established Member
I would imagine that to be true. The problem with using a 60 across the Pennines would be that they are limited to a maximum speed of 60 mph, whereas a 66 can do 75. That would make quite a difference in trying to path the special in between the frequent TPE services on the Standedge route or the frequent Northern services on the Calder Valley line. Are any timings available yet, or does anyone know which route it will be taking across the Pennines? Can't find it on RTT yet.

Railtour paths at the minute only tend to appear the afternoon/night before as a STP (Short-Term Plan), or even on the morning of as a VSTP (Very Short-Term Plan).

Iskra

Established Member
Railtour paths at the minute only tend to appear the afternoon/night before as a STP (Short-Term Plan), or even on the morning of as a VSTP (Very Short-Term Plan).
The LSL tour from London Euston to Glasgow on the 26th of Jan is on RTT already.

43 302

Established Member
I'm hoping that the 26th March tour is still going ahead? It hasn't shown up on the website yet but hoping it will soon.

This path is in the system but im pretty sure its just a placeholder path as there is another path to Par leaving Padd same time, and of course this isn't going via Swindon so that's a bit of a problem but the Padd- Rdg timings should be these

Iskra

Established Member

A host of new tours have been added recently. The Pieman looks the most interesting for the enthusiast and appeals to me due to a 'Northern' pick up at East Midlands Parkway, making it a short day for a railtour for me. To UKR's credit, their programme this year offers something for everyone :)

A host of new tours have been added recently. The Pieman looks the most interesting for the enthusiast and appeals to me due to a 'Northern' pick up at East Midlands Parkway, making it a short day for a railtour for me. To UKR's credit, their programme this year offers something for everyone :)
The Eden Project and BWR tour is interesting, what actually is it? Is it a mainline tour to Wenford or? The website doesn't make anything clear.

clagmonster

Established Member
The Eden Project and BWR tour is interesting, what actually is it? Is it a mainline tour to Wenford or? The website doesn't make anything clear.
The website seems clear to me. A tour from Padd to Par, with a set down at Bodmin Road to allow passengers the cross platform interchange with the preserved line.

Any ideas what's likely to be on the Powerful Pieman?? 67 out of Ealing then a 66 added on at Toton??

Also how much of the stored locos would it be possible to see from the train at Toton??

Iskra

Established Member
Any ideas what's likely to be on the Powerful Pieman?? 67 out of Ealing then a 66 added on at Toton??

Also how much of the stored locos would it be possible to see from the train at Toton??
There are rumours - and the tour photo supports this theory - that the 66 involved could be one of the ones that has returned from the continent and has been refurbished and is ready to run again. And yes, probably a 67 up to Toton.

Status
Not open for further replies.