• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ukraine wins Eurovision 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVUpminster

Watching Eurovision voting which is notoriously political and comparing UK and Germany is there a war effect to the voting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Watching Eurovision voting which is notoriously political and comparing UK and Germany is there a war effect to the voting.
The jury vote is not supposed to be affected by political voting/attitudes. If the viewers' voting does do similar to the jury so far then yes it's possible, but yes it is a surprising result so far.

REVUpminster

The jury vote is not supposed to be affected by political voting/attitudes. If the viewers' voting does do similar to the jury so far then yes it's possible, but yes it is a surprising result so far.
I voted Spain because sex sells. Ukraine wins and their biggest supporter the UK second.

DanNCL

Established Member
Ukraine has won Eurovision, UK second. Hopefully the situation will allow Ukraine to host next year, but if not I’d like to think the UK would step in to help.

brad465

Established Member
I voted Spain because sex sells. Ukraine wins and their biggest supporter the UK second.
I think you might have revealed a bit too much about your personal life there ;)

On a more serious point hosting Eurovision in Ukraine next year could be interesting if the war is still ongoing, even if it's confined to a small part of the country Russia could deliberately try and strike the venue/prevent it being built. Hopefully though it'll all be over by then of course.

Scotrail12

We were robbed. This was a sympathy vote at the ever more political Eurovision, sorry. Since we came 2nd and Ukraine probably can't host in 12 months, I think we should get it as runner-up.

TheEdge

Established Member
We were robbed. This was a sympathy vote at the ever more political Eurovision, sorry. Since we came 2nd and Ukraine probably can't host in 12 months, I think we should get it as runner-up.

To be fair I suspect quite a lot of our points were political. Even in the jury vote it was noticeable we did well from countries bordering Russia...

Cloud Strife

Established Member
They're basically taunting Russia at this point, though what that does to further increase putin's madness I don't know, good on Ukrain though for showing that they will not be pushed around.

I suspect that it's yet another psyop by the Ukrainians. They've been wrecking the morale of the Russian forces since the first attacks on Kyiv were repelled, and you have to wonder what the Russian forces in Russia are thinking about when they see all the footage and photos of Russian forces being destroyed.

Russia lost this war when they failed to achieve key objectives in the first day or two IMO.

Maybe not lost, but they had no chance of winning once it became obvious that AttUkraine had a solid defence plan. I'd pinpoint the exact moment being when tanks started getting wrecked on the streets of Kyiv - there was one video where a tank went straight into a trap, and civilians just absolutely wrecked it. At that moment, you knew Russia wasn't getting in.

But one thing is for sure: the Eurovision vote is also a huge, huge vote of support for Ukraine as a whole. I wouldn't underestimate the power of this on Ukraine's morale as a whole, especially as they now have even more motivation to get rid of the orcs in time for the next ESC.

AM9

Veteran Member
I suspect that it's yet another psyop by the Ukrainians. They've been wrecking the morale of the Russian forces since the first attacks on Kyiv were repelled, and you have to wonder what the Russian forces in Russia are thinking about when they see all the footage and photos of Russian forces being destroyed.
I doubt is Russian forces in Russia are getting much more opportunity to see the picture that the rest of the world can. It would be too demoralising to them and would also reveal the level of deceit that Putin et al are deploying.

HullRailMan

I highly doubt that there was a political wave of voting for the UK. We came 4th (by my rough calculation) in the public vote, so I suspect Spain would have actually won overall if the Ukrainian vote was lower. We did well because it was a credible song by a likeable singer who has popular appeal across Europe.
Either way, does it matter. Supporting Ukraine and embarrassing Russia is more important at this moment.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It’s refreshing to read we came second and escape the “ohhhh nobody likes Britain” narrative peddled after every single contest.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s refreshing to read we came second and escape the “ohhhh nobody likes Britain” narrative peddled after every single contest.

I think some of this was very much down to the fact that we actually took it seriously for once.
Our entry not only offered something actually decent (and he was also very likeable), but we also played the game this time which went down well.

At the end of the day I bet my stepdaughter two quid that we’d finish in the top five this time, so I’m not only rolling in it, but I also got to do a lap of honour around the front room tonight (twice ;)), so I’m well happy!

the sniper

Established Member

Indeed!

I think some of this was very much down to the fact that we actually took it seriously for once.

100%. We finally played the game properly. Watch the BBC send another has-been or never-been next year and people wonder what went wrong when we come last... I'd like to think someone like Ed Sheeran could be talked into doing it, he seems game for a lot of things.

People will say Germany is now the unpopular man of Europe, but they just sent another random poor song and got the same result they usually do.

If there was anything suspect, I wonder if Serbia's result will come under some scrutiny... I also thought it a bit of a funny coincidence that neither Romania or Georgia got their video link ups working for the votes, and Latvia seemed to have some slight interference.

Even before the show I wondered whether we'd stand a chance of hosting Eurovision in 2023 if/when Ukraine won. Tonight's result, coming second, only feels like it makes that more likely.

Last edited:

davews

I didn't watch it, not my scene and don't think I have heard any of the songs entered. I am no fan of that sort of music anyway and the little I have heard in past years have been utterly rubbish. Maybe this year the UK did put on something that sounded a bit more like music, but I don't know.... The fact that Ukraine won does show sadly that the whole thing is now just political and another reason to avoid it.

Eyersey468

Established Member
While I do think a lot of the voting for Ukraine was sympathy votes and there is a lot of political voting goes on in it over the years the UK hasn't done too badly really, we have won it 5 times and had about 15 or 16 2nd places

dk1

Veteran Member
Nice to have a good news story at the moment. Well done to both the Ukraine and the UK.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think Blighty did well because it's a good song. I've actually enjoyed hearing it on the radio, which isn't usually the case for our Eurovision entries.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes it’s almost like if you put a decent song forward it’ll win points. Never really understood the self-flagellation by people in previous years around “nobody likes us, we are bad neighbours” when we also put forward bad songs by nobodies.

Gag Halfrunt

The fact that Ukraine won does show sadly that the whole thing is now just political and another reason to avoid it.

Or maybe not.

In an interview with the Italian news agency Ansa, Psiuk said his band’s entry was tipped to do well even before Russia invaded in February.

“Some people are saying we could win because of the war, but our song was among the five favourites before the start of the conflict, which means people like it regardless,” he said.

Yew

Established Member
To be fair I suspect quite a lot of our points were political. Even in the jury vote it was noticeable we did well from countries bordering Russia...
How many NLAW anti tank missiles do we need to send to ensure 12 points?

Energy

Established Member
Its annoying that until this year many seem to think our losing streak was because of brexit/"others just not liking Britain" rather the actual reason is terrible music (last years I thought was mediocre but incredibly forgettable).

BBC News did a good story on the turn around, in short Eurovision being pretty corny for a while meant record labels weren't too interested until the competition became more serious and Maneskin last year showed that it could bring success to an artist (the promotion of the artist is paid for by the label). And the BBC started caring (especially its Eurovision producer) after the 0 points last year.

brad465

Established Member
Yes it’s almost like if you put a decent song forward it’ll win points. Never really understood the self-flagellation by people in previous years around “nobody likes us, we are bad neighbours” when we also put forward bad songs by nobodies.
After our double 0 last year Dara O'Briain joked we might as well have sent Martin Bashir to sing Candle in the wind.

Energy

Established Member
And to say that Ukraine's win was solely political is really unfair. Their song was one of my (next to France's, whoops on that one) and many other people's favourites even before the invasion. If they had sent a worse song and were then invaded, I don't think they would have won
Agreed, Ukraine did submit a great song, it came 4th from the jury's who don't take politics into account.

tomuk

Established Member
from the jury's who don't take politics into account.
What like 12 point to Greece from Cyprus and 12 points to Serbia from Montenegro. Some of the jury voting is just as 'political' as the televote.

Status
Not open for further replies.