• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ulceby Junction Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
I dont know exactly where the train derailed but the result looks like it could be the result of running through a set of trap points.
Is there a loop there?

I dont think the train was travelling at any great speed otherwise there would have been a pile up.

Last edited:

bluerose13x

I belive those pictures have been taken from the old Brocklesby Station, looking at the curved line towards Ulceby.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I dont know exactly where the train derailed but the result looks like it could be the result of running through a set of trap points.
Is there a loop there?

I dont think the train was travelling at any great speed otherwise there would have been a pile up.

My thoughts too, At first glance too quick round the corner was my initial thought, quickly eliminated that thought after a few milliseconds as the wagons would be all over the place if this was the case.

The positioning of the loco is very much like other trap (or is it catch) point derailments I've seen, such as this one http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55708

David Barrett

Is it not a trap in this case to protect trains on the main line from overruns on the converging route? Certainly speaking to a former signalman this morning the phrase,

"Looks like he ran through the trap"

was used.

Catch points as I understood them were to protect following traffic from breakaway rolling stock running in the wrong direction.

Either way the result is much the same though except that with a trap it tends to be the front of a train entering first whereas with a catch it would most likely be the rear.

From RTT it seems that the train was the 05.05 Immingham-Scunthorpe CHP and the wagons were removed by 20.00 yesterday after which a crane arrived to lift the locomotive but was not man enough for the job. Evidently it may be two or three days yet before the thing is finally removed. The Up line is open for Immingham bound traffic and outbound trains seem to be operating over the Light Railway to Marsh Junction.

Attachments

• TW8 LNE BRI Brocklesby 66084 Wed 16.07.14.jpg
    TW8 LNE BRI Brocklesby 66084 Wed 16.07.14.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 154
  • TW6 BRI Brocklesby 66084 De-railed Working 05.05 Immingham Bulk-Scunyhorpe CHP Tue 15.07 (5).jpg
    TW6 BRI Brocklesby 66084 De-railed Working 05.05 Immingham Bulk-Scunyhorpe CHP Tue 15.07 (5).jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Yes the train derailed on trap points. No it can't be safely recovered by the two rail cranes, so a road crane is expected.

For photo opportunities services are being diverted by the 'Light Railway' through Pyewipe Road at the moment.

Beveridges

Established Member
Why is it called a "light railway" ?

I have only ever heard "light railway" being used to refer to preserved lines or tram lines (such as the Metrolink).

Domh245

Established Member
I think it is something to do with the amount of ballast laid. A light railway will usually have very little ballast laid, and have lower quality rails, leading to a lower speed.

corin paul

I think it is something to do with the amount of ballast laid. A light railway will usually have very little ballast laid, and have lower quality rails, leading to a lower speed.

Running speed is only 25mph on a light railway, and not sure but Marsh Jn to Immingham East the max is only 20mph

Will speak to retired driver (My dad) about it.

tcm1106

It was indeed the 322 trap points. The rail cranes were deemed unable to lift the loco due to the soft earth/cess. As a result there's a 1000t Ainscough mobile crane booked to do the lift. Unfortunately there is the small matter of building a road across the adjacent field first...

corin paul

"It's now planned to be manned all next week as the attempt to lift the loco failed this week it should thus be open w/c Sunday 20th July 2014 all week. If things change then it could be not required earlier of course but I understand rostering is in place to see it manned right through to Saturday 26th."

What I have be told by a signalman.

Lockwood

You'd think that they'd design trap points to be easier to reset.
"Here's a thing that is designed to cause a derailment"
"This has derailed. How do we fix this problem?"

Yes, derailing at points is better than the potential collision, but engineering in a recovery method would be a good bonus (like firming up earthworks to support a crane should one be needed)

(I'm no engineer, just a viewer with an opinion)

David Barrett

Why is it called a "light railway" ?

I have only ever heard "light railway" being used to refer to preserved lines or tram lines (such as the Metrolink).

Known as the Grimsby District Light Railway, this was the first line built by the Great Central under the provisions of the 1896 Light Railway Act. Primarily intended to assist thinly populated areas gain access to the railway system by relaxing certain legal requirements but with restrictions placed on operations in order to reduce construction and running costs, they sometimes were built for quite different purposes carrying traffics other than those associated with the more typical rural line that the light railway legislation was designed to promote.

Things like lineside fences, level crossing gates and signalling could be dispensed with but a maximum speed of just 25 MPH was permitted with other restrictions like 10 MPH through facing points as necessary. Some had other restrictions unique to one particular line eg. the Great North of Scotland's line between Fraserburgh and St. Combs whose locomotives had to be provided with cowcatchers, a requirement which was not relaxed until the advent of DMUs.

Whilst the preserved lines operate under light railway orders and are bound by these strict rules, looking at some of them in a now quite heavily developed state they do seem, in reality, to be anything but.

Last edited:

Boothby97

Established Member
Now been sorted. Possession last night at Brocklesby, and 66084 moved to Immingham.
And I had gone out to Pyewipe Road signal box this morning, ended up getting one freight (the last diverted service).

Status
Not open for further replies.