• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to collect tickets when using Chase bank card

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00036

Currently you cannot collects tickets bought online for collection if you used a Chase bank card. As I understand it, this is because it has two card numbers (one for online and one for in person purchases). Is there any way of avoiding this issue?

Before anyone mentions e-tickets, this flow (for whatever reason) only allows paper tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Currently you cannot collects tickets bought online for collection if you used a Chase bank card. As I understand it, this is because it has two card numbers (one for online and one for in person purchases). Is there any way of avoiding this issue?

Before anyone mentions e-tickets, this flow (for whatever reason) only allows paper tickets.
You'll have to use another card, or a retailer that does any card collection. I suppose you could ask the ticket office whether they will let you collect your ticket with proof of ID, but there is no guarantee.

Since Chase is a debit card, there is no section 75 protection. Accordingly there is nothing lost by using it through an intermediary such as Curve. I believe the Curve card number is the same online and for the physical card.

Haywain

Veteran Member

Use PayPal, or go to a site (such as LNER) that allows you to buy eVouchers and the use the vouchers for the ticket purchase.

Last edited:

James H

Or use an app that allows you to pay via Apple Pay or Google Pay - that way you can still use Chase for the cashback, and your tickets will be set to any card collection. Best of all worlds.

microrich

I also have a Chase debit card. I've just double checked my ticket purchase history and can confirm I successfully used my Chase card to pick up tickets ordered online (on the Southern website) at St Pancras on the 16th April for a trip to Rochester (for which eTickets were not available). So I'm not sure it's a general problem.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I also have a Chase debit card. I've just double checked my ticket purchase history and can confirm I successfully used my Chase card to pick up tickets ordered online (on the Southern website) at St Pancras on the 16th April for a trip to Rochester (for which eTickets were not available). So I'm not sure it's a general problem.
It's down to whether the retailer has set the booking to any card collection or not. In some cases that even varies depending on how 'trusted' an account is, e.g. any card collection may only be enabled after a few uneventful bookings, to prevent fraud.

Alex365Dash

Or use an app that allows you to pay via Apple Pay or Google Pay - that way you can still use Chase for the cashback, and your tickets will be set to any card collection. Best of all worlds.
Google Pay may share card details with the merchant, so the tickets may still be set to same card collection. I got caught out with this the other week when booking tickets for a friend off TrainSplit - although it only took two minutes for them to change it to any card collection on the phone!

Apple Pay and PayPal won’t share said card details, so any booking made using either of these will be set to any card collection.

Steveinreading

I ran into this same problem today.
Went to the station, entered the collection code but the machine decided I hadn't put in the same card that I'd paid with. I was able to get the ticket but only by walking round to the South entrance and queuing at the desk. They just wanted the collection code.
I've messaged Chase about it but don't hold out much hope of things changing.

I got a quick reply from GWR on Twitter but it's not very practical.

HI Steve, we can change bookings here to allow any card collection, but not the machines. We would need to do that for each booking you make - Phil

Last edited:

Iggy12a

I discovered this problem about 4 weeks ago.

Chase admitted that they hadn't thought about this situation when they came up with the concept of issuing a virtual card number, and encrypting another number into the physical card.

GWR suggested using the PayPal option to pay, and that all works fine for ticket collection.

johntea

Established Member
Out of interest why is this still a ‘thing’ anyway? If someone can guess my collection code fair play to them!

(Or if you still want an additional level of security, surely you could just ask for the last 3 letters of my postcode or something?)

I suppose it’ll never really get looked at though with eTickets being the majority choice (of course plenty of other threads debating that at the moment!)

Although I booked a journey the other day on the LNER app, it involved a split

‘Journey 1’ TPE only - eTicket offered
‘Journey 2’ continuing on above TPE and then a change onto Northern to complete the journey, no eTicket offered and had to collect a ticket from a TVM

skyhigh

Established Member
Out of interest why is this still a ‘thing’ anyway? If someone can guess my collection code fair play to them!
It's not a security thing to make sure nobody takes your tickets (though I guess that is a side effect), it's more a fraud prevention thing.

py_megapixel

Established Member
what type of fraud would be prevented by this?
Some fraudsters persuade their victims to purchase gift vouchers and hand over the code. I assume it is to prevent them doing a similar thing with train tickets (i.e. getting the victim to buy train tickets and provide a collection code which the scammer then uses).

JaJaWa

Established Member
what type of fraud would be prevented by this?
You could obtain someone’s card number and use it to buy tickets online and then pick them up without ever having access to their physical card

ess

Went to the station, entered the collection code but the machine decided I hadn't put in the same card that I'd paid with. I was able to get the ticket but only by walking round to the South entrance and queuing at the desk. They just wanted the collection code.

HI Steve, we can change bookings here to allow any card collection, but not the machines. We would need to do that for each booking you make - Phil

Could GWR just make a change so any transactions made by any Chase debit card are set to any card collection? Or any Chase card collection?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Could GWR just make a change so any transactions made by any Chase debit card are set to any card collection? Or any Chase card collection?
No, it would have to be set the same for all cards and would mean GWR accepting a far higher level of liability for fraudulent transactions.

1Q18

Physical card verification in 2022 does seem to be a bit of an anachronism as a security/fraud prevention measure. If one was using a stolen card number there are so many ways around the system such as using PayPal, Apple Pay or similar. It does also lead to issues using virtual cards; whilst theoretically any card should be accepted to start the vending process (I often travel with tickets purchased via my employer’s booking agent which uses a virtual card) often I find that a TVM will refuse to accept any of my cards. This is fine if there’s a staffed ticket office, but nowadays that’s a big if.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If one was using a stolen card number there are so many ways around the system such as using PayPal, Apple Pay or similar.
There are other methods but they move the fraud risk to the provider of those methods.

TAS

If you use the physical card for contactless on TfL services (and perhaps elsewhere?), clicking on the transaction in the app will reveal a box labelled 'Adding your card to TFL?'. Clicking on this gives a card number, security code and expiry date, which I assume are those of the physical card, together with a message telling you to share them only with TfL.

Whether those details would work for online ordering and physical collection, or whether Chase have blocked use of the physical card details online as an anti-fraud measure, is something I don't know and have no plans to find out.

Steveinreading

Update. I found a solution that works for me. I already had a GWR Smart Ticket but for some reason could only load it at the station ticket desk. GWR app is behind the times. I found I can load directly onto my Smart Ticket using the Avanti West Coast app! I just hold the Smart Ticket to my phone & there's a satisfying noise as the ticket loads. So no need to collect a ticket at the station. Sadly they've just stopped giving Nectar points, as have GWR

Adam Williams

Established Member
No, it would have to be set the same for all cards and would mean GWR accepting a far higher level of liability for fraudulent transactions.

For what it's worth, the retailer could quite easily check the BIN before making a per-transaction decision on whether to make the LSM transaction any-card-collection or not and thus limit it to Chase cards only.

I use "quite easily" relatively here, it'd involve software engineering effort, but GWR (or any other TOC) could do it if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.