• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable to get on train due to queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunday

Hi,

Hypothetical but I'm attending Glastonbury festival next month and will be travelling back to Birmingham on the Monday. I've found a decently priced advance ticket from Castle Cary that involves changing at Bristol.

My concern is that it leaves at what I expect will be the peak time, early afternoon. My understanding from friends who have used trains before from the festival is that the station is usually incredibly busy and operates a general queue to reach the platforms. Although I intend to be at the station in plenty of time should I find myself in a queue and therefore unable to board my train would the advance ticket be invalidated and how likely would I be face difficulty using the ticket. My main concern would be the connecting train rather than the first our of Castle Cary.

Am I better just biting the bullet and buying an off peak or anytime?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I am aware you should be passed for travelling on the next train you can get. Particularly if you left plenty of time. I would make yourself known to station staff on the day if concerned.

telstarbox

Established Member
People will be 'spreading out' in all directions at Bristol - to South Wales, London etc - so it might not be as busy as you think.

There are also direct Castle Cary - London specials as a lot of Glastonbury attendees come from London and the South East, which would take some passengers away from the Bristol trains.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
For festivals station staff will usually corrall people ready for boarding their booked trains, or failing that, get people onto trains as they arrive to minimise crowds at the station. No need to worry about missing your train.

AndrewE

Established Member
My concern is that it leaves at what I expect will be the peak time,
should I find myself in a queue and therefore unable to board my train would the advance ticket be invalidated?

A bit like the Transpennine train from Leeds when I made the mistake of trying to come home late afternoon then! (It was a couple of years ago, but now I always make sure I am on board earlier, like York or Durham, or depart Leeds much earlier or later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.