• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unacceptable whistleblowing at Blackfriars

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

I'm not sure how to spell dispatcher, sorry. But at Blackfriars station I have twice heard the dispatcher blowing the whistle while their microphone is switched on.

This is unacceptable as it can cause tinnitus.

How best to address this? With the individual concerned / employer / TFL / HSE?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
This is probably a situation where nobody has realised distress can be caused, so I think transportphoto's idea is a good one.

dtaylor84

I'd expect the whistle itself to be louder than the sound out of the speakers after it has been amplified (and clipped)...

Tubeboy

An amplified whistle sounds very unpleasant. My ears wouldn’t like that. Definitely follow it up as others have said.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I'm not sure how to spell dispatcher, sorry. But at Blackfriars station I have twice heard the dispatcher blowing the whistle while their microphone is switched on.

I haven't been to Blackfriars to a while and so can't personally comment but sudden loud noise can also cause temporary threshold shift (TTS) and hyperacusis.

Before making any sort of complaint, it might stand up better if you can provide quantitative evidence - e.g. measuring the peak dB using an A-weighted sound level meter

Also, any amount of stress will reduce one's tolerance level to loud sounds

AnkleBoots

Before making any sort of complaint, it might stand up better if you can provide quantitative evidence - e.g. measuring the peak dB using an A-weighted sound level meter
Thank you, I will have to try to borrow one as they seem expensive.

I probably need to be able to identify the individual, but ideally without being confrontational.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd have thought you could point out the concern without identifying a specific person, they could just put out a general notice to all staff and include it in the training prograrmme, and it avoids personalising the issue.

noddingdonkey

Is there a further issue that the microphone feed is probably feed into an induction loop for hearing aid users, and having a whistle down an aid is probably extremely unpleasant?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm not sure about hearing aids, but my implant will cut off if the volume of anything exceeds a certain level.

99% of the time induction loops don't work properly anyway - and would generally be found at ticket office windows with an individual loop for each window, not covering a whole station.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I'm not sure about hearing aids, but my implant will cut off if the volume of anything exceeds a certain level.

99% of the time induction loops don't work properly anyway - and would generally be found at ticket office windows with an individual loop for each window, not covering a whole station.

Most modern hearing aids have compression and output-limiting circuits but it depends upon many variables such as the amount of gain/output and whether or not the compression is slow-acting or fast-acting. Usually, the younger population will have fast-acting (syllabic) compression as they can keep up with running speech whilst most of the older population will have slow-acting compression to take account of poorer speech discrimination. Fast-acting compression usually has fast attack times (good for sudden, transient sounds) whilst slow-acting compression will often miss them and act too late.

Anyway, this is steering off-topic

Andrewh32

Head to the station office & say on x date at x time on platform x the dispatcher left the mic on whilst using his/her whistle, would you please speak to your staff about it as it's not the first time this has happened

Should be all it needs as long as they take you seriously

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

The whistle is too loud. Make a complaint.

The dispatcher probably doesn’t realise he’s even doing it.

There is no need to do your own investigative work prior to contacting the company. Just send the complaint in.

Or, even better, just speak to a duty manager at the station next time you’re there.

farleigh

I haven't been to Blackfriars to a while and so can't personally comment but sudden loud noise can also cause temporary threshold shift (TTS) and hyperacusis.

This is a wind-up right?

anti-pacer

Established Member

I never leave home without mine. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The whistle is too loud. Make a complaint.

The dispatcher probably doesn’t realise he’s even doing it.

There is no need to do your own investigative work prior to contacting the company. Just send the complaint in.

Or, even better, just speak to a duty manager at the station next time you’re there.

Is the correct answer - no need for the usual RUK vast overreaction

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A side point on this - when the Hamburg S-Bahn had platform dispatchers, they used to deliberately and as a matter of policy blow the whistle over the PA to ensure it was heard.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You could just speak to the staff member at the time?

This is the correct answer. Just speak to the staff member and point out what happened. No doubt they heard it themselves but a polite word goes a very long way and would no doubt get an apology.

A side point on this - when the Hamburg S-Bahn had platform dispatchers, they used to deliberately and as a matter of policy blow the whistle over the PA to ensure it was heard.

Maybe we should instigate this over hear. After all isn't that the typical request on RUK. Germany is doing this so we should too. I do wonder how many times it was reported to a Manager and how many German commuters suffer from tinnitus.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I wonder if any of this employees colleagues feel able to speak to management about his behaviour?

Not quite sure how this follows on from my tongue-in-cheek comment to be honest, but hey ho.

On a serious note, a quick word with a manager at Blackfriars is all that's probably needed, rather than sound monitoring equipment, camera footage, private investigators, the issue being raised in parliament, etc.

As DarloRich says, vast over-reaction!

hwl

Established Member
This is the correct answer. Just speak to the staff member and point out what happened. No doubt they heard it themselves but a polite word goes a very long way and would no doubt get an apology.

Maybe we should instigate this over hear. After all isn't that the typical request on RUK. Germany is doing this so we should too. I do wonder how many times it was reported to a Manager and how many German commuters suffer from tinnitus.

This may well be needed to keep dwell times suitable low in the Thameslink Core by injecting a sense of "get a move on" to boarding passengers.

Jonfun

Established Member
I wonder if any of this employees colleagues feel able to speak to management about his behaviour?
Behaviour (!) He's blowing a whistle into a microphone he probably hasn't noticed is still on. He's more likely to damage the PA equipment than anyone's ears - I think we're suffering once again from a RailUK lack of distinction between minor frustration/inconvenience and a capital offence!

Dougal2345

Wouldn't they be labelled as whistleblowers if they did that?

Seriously, as I've mentioned on other threads, I do find whistles painfully loud sometimes, and there are plenty of blowhards around who, umm, blow too hard...

Portsmouth & Southsea through platforms are a particularly noisy area, with whistle blasts amplified by its low roof and screeching flanges on its tight curves... I wonder if the staff there worry about their hearing...

My tinnitus has been most recently increased, absurdly, by the toilet seat in a 158 crashing down... It was like a gunshot at close range :(

D365

Veteran Member

Surely unless it's an extremely shrill sound, only through prolonged exposure, i.e. standing too close to the speaker for too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.