• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unannounced timetable change

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyBarry

This is such a minor point that I hesitate to raise it, but I think there's a principle involved. I catch a train once a week whose advertised departure time is 0830. When I went to the station this week the timetable posters still advertised it as 0830. However, the platform indicator and the station announcements called it the 0831.

I queried this when my ticket was checked on the train. At first I was told that the scheduled departure time was 0830, but it seemed that the staff on the train hadn't been told either. On double-checking it was confirmed that the correct departure time was 0831.

Now one minute later is normally neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned, but what if I had been trying to make a tight connection? Or what if it had been five minutes later? Or one minute earlier, with the risk of passengers missing the train? Can train operators simply make unannounced changes like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Possibly been altered due to the olympics, even Greater Anglia's rural routes have had a special time table published because of it! What journey were you making?

TP

IanD

Established Member
If the change to the timetable causes onward connections to be less than the minimum required, I'd say it is a major issue.

GuyBarry

Possibly been altered due to the olympics, even Greater Anglia's rural routes have had a special time table published because of it! What journey were you making?

TP

Bath Spa to Chippenham. I think the service runs from Gloucester to Swindon, so I can't see how it would have been affected by the Olympics. First Great Western are putting on extra trains to Weymouth for the sailing, so maybe that's affected the timetable somehow.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It appears that the schedule of 2A99 (the train you describe) is subject of a "Short-term planned alteration" - according to Open Train Times, it should be back to normal from the 13th Aug for a while.

TP

greatkingrat

Established Member
Looks like there is an extra Olympic service 2O67 0705 Cardiff Central - Weymouth that is running immediately ahead of your train, causing it to be slightly retimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.