• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unchanged Bus Routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Which bus routes are 'the same today as they always have been' as in having the same number operating the same route.

For instance London's 16 is similar today as it was in horse us days but it did run beyond it's current terminus, which in itself, is not the terminus of horse bus times.

Reading's route 17 is pretty similar to it's trolleybus days.

One of the few I can think of that has barely changed in over a century are the Liverpool routes 26/27 Shiel Road Circulars - whcih are pretty similar today to what they were in the days of the tramcar.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Nottıngham Cıty Transport servıce 1 ıs a beechıng replacement servıce betwen Loughborough and Nottıngham to replace that part of GCR. Orıgınally operated by South Notts whıch was taken over by NCT

Badger

529 Wolverhampton to Walsall since 1975 (1965 as "29")

I think the oldest is the 11, Birmingham outer circle, since 1926?

RP

Cardiff Bus/Newport Bus service 30 is still running as the last joint bus service operated by two councils' arms length bus companies. Cardiff had operated it since 1924 and Newport joined the operation on 1 July 1946. The route is unchanged although termini have varied at either end.

Much more recently introduced service X30 makes a similar but much speedier journey via the M4 and since 30.4.12 serves University Hospital of Wales; it is operated solely by Newport Bus.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
London Route 24 is substantially unchanged since 1912, with a shorter version having run since 1910.

MCR247

Established Member
Nottıngham Cıty Transport servıce 1 ıs a beechıng replacement servıce betwen Loughborough and Nottıngham to replace that part of GCR. Orıgınally operated by South Notts whıch was taken over by NCT

Despite using the 1 everyday I never knew it was a beeching replacement! :oops:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
17 from Rochdale to Manchester has been in operation since trams withdrawn - 1930ish IIRC.

martinsh

Established Member

ivanhoe

No way is the 1 a Beeching replacement service. It's not the quickest route to Notts from Loughborough. That goes to the X9 or 99 previously.

I give you the 82 in Liverpool. Been going 60 years plus at least under the liveries of Liverpool City Transport, MPTE, Merseybus and Arriva. Could also add the 81 to Bootle from Speke as well nut to mention the 26 and 27 Shiel Road Circular.

Smethwickian

I think the oldest is the 11, Birmingham outer circle, since 1926?

Yes, 1926, and it's had only a couple of relatively minor route variations since then (notably in 1986 through Bearwood and also to take it slightly closer to City Hospital).

In the same area the 87 Birmingham to Dudley route has been going since it was introduced to replace the tram route in September 1939 with the only major change being its route in Birmingham city centre.

Established Member
I think the Tiverton Town 348 and 349 have stayed pretty much the same as long as i remember except the operator who was Cooks Coaches(Who were brought By stagecoach SW in 2007) who still operate it

neilmc

In Leeds, I think the 72 Leeds-Bradford service has been running since 1937, as has service 50 to Horsforth via Burley Road. The former West Yorkshire Road Car service 36 from Leeds to Harrogate may have a rival claim here.

However, the First service 1 to Holt Park, 2 to Moortown and 12 to Middleton all incorporate tram routes first numbered in the 1920s and I believe have run continuously since in one form or another.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I give you the 82 in Liverpool. Been going 60 years .

I would disagree. The current 82 is far extended beyond the original service and for a long period (at least 30 years maybe more) there was no 82, the route being numbered the 82C.

The 26/27 routes are the oldest I can think of as being virtually unchanged (apart from redvelopment in the City Centre) since their inception as a tramcar route. Every other route in the city has either been extended, rerouted or remumbered.

ivanhoe

I would disagree. The current 82 is far extended beyond the original service and for a long period (at least 30 years maybe more) there was no 82, the route being numbered the 82C.

The 26/27 routes are the oldest I can think of as being virtually unchanged (apart from redvelopment in the City Centre) since their inception as a tramcar route. Every other route in the city has either been extended, rerouted or remumbered.

Not quite correct about the 82C. There were two services at least in the 1950's , 82E which went down Western Avenue in Speke and then along Hale Road and then down Eastern Avenue. The 82D went along the traditional 82 route when in Speke. Both services were replaced by the 82C in the 1960's. not quite sure when the C was dropped but it is fair to say that all variants of the 82 went to Speke.(Stagecoach service excepted).

Heinz57

The Felix bus (black cat (orignaly numberd 12))

This service has been running on the hour every hour, along the same route for over 80 years. The only slight change was when they pedestrianised Ilkeston town centre in the 90s (I think?*), removing the bus waiting area. They extended this end of the route up to Ilkeston Hospital via the Shipley View estate. To save 20 mins of waiting on Wharncliffe Road.

So yeah, although they added that bit on. The bus still leaves Ilkeston and Derby on the hour and travels the same route as it always has.

*Lived in the town my whole life and I don't even know when they pedestrianised it :lol:

Eagle

Established Member
Which bus routes are 'the same today as they always have been' as in having the same number operating the same route.

By that criterion you could include brand-new routes that never existed before. For example, the de Courcey W7, University of Warwick to Keresley via Eastern Green and Allesley, has remained entirely unchanged since its introduction (in 2011).

And before you say it, no this route was not a replacement for any former differently-numbered route or anything like that.

Statto

Established Member
Not quite correct about the 82C. There were two services at least in the 1950's , 82E which went down Western Avenue in Speke and then along Hale Road and then down Eastern Avenue. The 82D went along the traditional 82 route when in Speke. Both services were replaced by the 82C in the 1960's. not quite sure when the C was dropped but it is fair to say that all variants of the 82 went to Speke.(Stagecoach service excepted).

The "C" of the 82 ment all journeys to/from Pier Head went down Church Street, later Hood Street Gyrotory. LCT introduced a systerm on Pier Head routes "C" was for routes that served Church Street, later Hood Street Gyrotory & "D" was used for routes that went down Dale Street, although there was exeptions, all of that ended at D-Reg.

I suspect most if not all routes over the years have had reroutings to cope with new one way streets & pedestrianisation, but the core route has been unchanged since it's introduction.

ivanhoe

The "C" of the 82 ment all journeys to/from Pier Head went down Church Street, later Hood Street Gyrotory. LCT introduced a systerm on Pier Head routes "C" was for routes that served Church Street, later Hood Street Gyrotory & "D" was used for routes that went down Dale Street, although there was exeptions, all of that ended at D-Reg.

I suspect most if not all routes over the years have had reroutings to cope with new one way streets & pedestrianisation, but the core route has been unchanged since it's introduction.

Thanks for that Statto.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Many 'core' routes may not have changed much but they have changed. LCPTD's Summer 1957 timetable has an 82D & an 82E but no 82, Liverpool Transport's April 1965 timetable has only an 82C - still no 82. Many 'core' services may be similar (route 10 for instance between Liverpool and Prescot but the extension to cover former St.Helens Corporation routes 7 & 9 is a considerable change to the original route).

I would maintain, that in Liverpool, only routes 26 & 27 operate over the same route with the same route number

Statto

Established Member
Many 'core' routes may not have changed much but they have changed. LCPTD's Summer 1957 timetable has an 82D & an 82E but no 82, Liverpool Transport's April 1965 timetable has only an 82C - still no 82. Many 'core' services may be similar (route 10 for instance between Liverpool and Prescot but the extension to cover former St.Helens Corporation routes 7 & 9 is a considerable change to the original route).

I would maintain, that in Liverpool, only routes 26 & 27 operate over the same route with the same route number

The 26/27 has had a few reroutings in the City Centre, & change of terminus, think the old terminus until the 70s was South Castle Street, then it moved to Central Bus Station, now it uses Liverpool One Bus Station, apart from that the rest of the route has been virtually unchanged since it was introduced as a Tram route.

Dont forget there was quite a few routes merged in Liverpool in the early 90s, by both North Western & Merseybus.

WillPS

Established Member
Somebody not so long ago found a timetable that was noted as effective from c.1989.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
The Felix bus (black cat (orignaly numberd 12))

This service has been running on the hour every hour, along the same route for over 80 years. The only slight change was when they pedestrianised Ilkeston town centre in the 90s (I think?*),

*Lived in the town my whole life and I don't even know when they pedestrianised it :lol:

Wikipedia suggests it was 1986 ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How about the Clynnog & Trefor route from Caernarfon - Pwllheli (nowadays no 12) which has been run by them since "shortly before World War One" !

Drsatan

Established Member
The X66 bus from Romsey to Winchester has remained largely unchanged, other than that it no longer serves Hiltingbury.

I'm also fairly certain that the 35 and 36 bus routes from Romsey to Braishfield and East Dean haven't changed in a considerably long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.