• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uncoupler isolation cock

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrocket

Morning,
Could anyone tell me what the uncoupler isolation cock is for and in what scenario might it be used?
Am doing some traction revision and noticed that 153/5’s have them but 158’s do not.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Call your Trainer/Mentor/Manager etc is always the best advice..

However, have no doubt someone will come along shortly with an answer. I don't sign them. We have autocoupler isolation cocks which isolate the electrical head. Used where non compatible units are coupled together for rescue purposes. I would suspect that it will be something similar.

jonnyrocket

Thanks ComUtoR, am off for a few days now but will ask when I’m back in. There’s no rush, it was just bugging me :smile:

scotraildriver

Established Member
Class 158 has one just behind the front fairing on the drivers side called ECIC (emergency coupler isolating cock). It diverts air to the schrader connection if there is a problem with the air connection on the coupler. Ive used it once when the rubber mouthpiece was missing from my units coupler meaning it just lost air when coupled.

jonnyrocket

Class 158 has one just behind the front fairing on the drivers side called ECIC (emergency coupler isolating cock). It diverts air to the schrader connection if there is a problem with the air connection on the coupler. Ive used it once when the rubber mouthpiece was missing from my units coupler meaning it just lost air when coupled.
Thanks, very helpful

Mostly used for maintenance tasks or if there has been impact damage and an air leak on the system then it would need isolating until repair.

Efini92

Established Member
Morning,
Could anyone tell me what the uncoupler isolation cock is for and in what scenario might it be used?
Am doing some traction revision and noticed that 153/5’s have them but 158’s do not.
Thanks
Basically it stops the couple relay from opening. The couple button on the desk won’t work and you’ll be unable to couple electrically.
Only thing I can think is if the relay was to stick open breaking train wire 4 you’d need a way of isolating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.