• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Under 11 Oyster with mainline fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
I'm going to be in London next week with my 7 year old daughter, who already has an Oyster photocard to make tube travel easier.

Because of the strikes we'll also be needing to use mainline trains (SWT/SE). Despite spending ages on the Oyster site, I can't find anything to tell me whether:
1. We can put credit on the card,
2. Whether fare capping will apply, and
3. How using Oyster will compare with buying her a paper travelcard.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

A 5-10 Oyster on NR works in the same way as an adult Oyster using the fares and caps in this table. This will be much cheaper than a paper Travelcard (unless going beyond zone 6 in the morning peak).

deltic

Established Member
I'm going to be in London next week with my 7 year old daughter, who already has an Oyster photocard to make tube travel easier.

Because of the strikes we'll also be needing to use mainline trains (SWT/SE). Despite spending ages on the Oyster site, I can't find anything to tell me whether:
1. We can put credit on the card,
2. Whether fare capping will apply, and
3. How using Oyster will compare with buying her a paper travelcard.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

Is it an Oyster Zip card for under 11s?

If so you sadly face London's north/south divide. Rail travel is free on most rail lines north of the Thames if you have a under 11 Zip card but not on most lines south of the Thames see https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/pay-as-you-go-tarrifs-national-rail.pdf for details.

beaten to it by 34D

You can certainly load credit on an under 11 Zip card but I dont know the answer to the other two questions.

Last edited:

35B

Established Member
Thanks both for that. Now for my wife to remember the account details.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
If she can't and you have to top it up in London, newsagents are likely to have less of a queue than mainline rail stations

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just to re-iterate:

Yes you can put credit on.
Yes it will cap, after 0930 this is only £1.50.
Normal child travelcards cost £6.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.