• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Underground CSA full time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ninhog

The salary of £26,111.00 isn’t that great for working shifts over 7 days in London o_O

Aivilo

From what I understand it's the entry level. Next CSA band is 30 something k I believe.

Regardless of salary it may appeal to some

vantime

Blimey, 37 days annual leave. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I've only had bank holidays for the last 22 years.

bionic

Blimey, 37 days annual leave. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I've only had bank holidays for the last 22 years.

That says far more about you and the conditions you have put up with for the last 22 years than it does about LU conditions.

vantime

I wasn't knocking it. I know that there are certain gigs out there that sound far more appealing than other jobs. As I've been working for myself, you could say it's been self inflicted, but if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have done it. It's paid off the mortgage so fingers crossed I can look to start taking it easy with LU's generous conditions.:lol:

vantime

That says far more about you and the conditions you have put up with for the last 22 years than it does about LU conditions.
I wasn't knocking it. I know that there are certain gigs out there that sound far more appealing than other jobs. As I've been working for myself, you could say it's been self inflicted, but if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have done it. It's paid off the mortgage so fingers crossed I can look to start taking it easy with LU's generous conditions.:lol:

Tube driver

£26k for a CSA2 ain’t that bad!

You also have to consider free TfL travel for you and another, good holidays, excellent final salary pension and a host of other stuff that when you combine with the salary adds up to a pretty decent package. And of course it opens doors to a range of other positions like train op, supervisor, etc where you can earn a very handsome wage.

I imagine it will be massively oversubscribed (as per usual!)

KCJones

Anyone applied the OH has, does anyone know if the AC1 and AC2 are both done on the same day ?

winks

I’m surprised the annual leave isn’t higher. It’s not actually 37 days annual leave it’s 29+ 8 BH.

I’m in the nhs and get 33 + 8 so 41 days leave

bionic

I’m surprised the annual leave isn’t higher. It’s not actually 37 days annual leave it’s 29+ 8 BH.

29+8=37

If annual leave was 37 days plus another 8 for bank holidays then the total would be 45, but it's not. Don't get het up about annual leave bank holidays anyway as on the railway you'll find yourself working most of them.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm presently working for a vehicle leasing company and my contract states I get 25 days annual leave. However, I get a days leave deducted for each of the public holidays. Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, two May Bank Holidays and one in August equals eight days I lose automatically!!! In addition to this, some years have seen the 27th & 28th December and the 2nd or 3rd January become public holidays if Xmas and New Year fall on a weekend. Therefore that would leave me with 14 days left in a bad year. I've only been there a few months and I'm planning on jumping ship before the end of the year as it's an appalling company to work for. I personally don't think any public holidays should sap your annual leave but alot of businesses seem to get away with tactics like this.

When I served in the police, you could make a fortune working the public holidays for double time, but there was the option of just working at normal rate and getting a rest day in lieu added to your leave card. Many cops opted for the latter as they could accumulate lots of leave but the problem with copworld was that because police resources were so thin on the ground many officers got denied leave and built up ridiculous banks of leave. I kid you not - one sergeant who was retiring in January worked his last shift the previous September because he had so much leave to use before he finished.

Again if there was enough staff to cover shifts on a public holiday then some officers could have the day off without it coming out of their annual leave entitlement.

I used to love working Christmas and New Year as I find the days themselves can be pretty dull and I've always stayed at home at Easter and the other bank holidays because the roads get clogged up with people flocking for a day out or weekend away to places like Wales and the Lakes. Anyone from my neck of the woods will know the Trafford Centre and you would have to be a complete idiot to go there on a public holiday!!!

I'm going off topic here so I'll get back to the subject - the police worked on hours as oppose to days and I think a newly qualified cop gets 200 hours a year which works out at around five weeks worth of leave (200 ÷ 5 = 40 hours which is a typical working week). Again your leave entitlement would go up slightly with more years service under your belt.

Clearly the benefits of the railway world are that staff are rewarded with good annual leave entitlement.

C J

Davieez

Do you work for Lex auto lease?

I'm presently working for a vehicle leasing company and my contract states I get 25 days annual leave. However, I get a days leave deducted for each of the public holidays. Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, two May Bank Holidays and one in August equals eight days I lose automatically!!! In addition to this, some years have seen the 27th & 28th December and the 2nd or 3rd January become public holidays if Xmas and New Year fall on a weekend. Therefore that would leave me with 14 days left in a bad year. I've only been there a few months and I'm planning on jumping ship before the end of the year as it's an appalling company to work for. I personally don't think any public holidays should sap your annual leave but alot of businesses seem to get away with tactics like this.

When I served in the police, you could make a fortune working the public holidays for double time, but there was the option of just working at normal rate and getting a rest day in lieu added to your leave card. Many cops opted for the latter as they could accumulate lots of leave but the problem with copworld was that because police resources were so thin on the ground many officers got denied leave and built up ridiculous banks of leave. I kid you not - one sergeant who was retiring in January worked his last shift the previous September because he had so much leave to use before he finished.

Again if there was enough staff to cover shifts on a public holiday then some officers could have the day off without it coming out of their annual leave entitlement.

I used to love working Christmas and New Year as I find the days themselves can be pretty dull and I've always stayed at home at Easter and the other bank holidays because the roads get clogged up with people flocking for a day out or weekend away to places like Wales and the Lakes. Anyone from my neck of the woods will know the Trafford Centre and you would have to be a complete idiot to go there on a public holiday!!!

I'm going off topic here so I'll get back to the subject - the police worked on hours as oppose to days and I think a newly qualified cop gets 200 hours a year which works out at around five weeks worth of leave (200 ÷ 5 = 40 hours which is a typical working week). Again your leave entitlement would go up slightly with more years service under your belt.

Clearly the benefits of the railway world are that staff are rewarded with good annual leave entitlement.

C J

baz962

Established Member

C J
Without knowing your shift pattern and hours, it is hard to comment. However the law states you get 28 days or equivalent paid leave. It's different for different shift patterns , for example if you do four on and four off 12 hour shifts , then it's 20 days. If you check up on gov website , it tells you on there and has a calculator.

Ladder23

Established Member
Didn’t get through myself, not sure why..

I have a strong CV with previous work experience, more so railway experience, ranging from customer service, pway and now currently with s&t working for a considerable amount more money. I thought it at least get a interview

JaMa9

I have a strong CV with previous work experience, more so railway experience, ranging from customer service, pway and now currently with s&t working for a considerable amount more money. I thought it at least get a interview

Did you get through to first assessment centre or they didn't consider your application at all?

Ladder23

Established Member
Did you get through to first assessment centre or they didn't consider your application at all?
No mate nothing, I’ve managed interviews for all kinds of jobs even ones I never thought I’d get, but I didn’t get a sniff at this.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Ladder23

If its any conselation, I've had a handful of TOC applications fail at the paper sift and I'll be honest a couple of the jobs I could have nailed! I've got 15 years in the police and prior to that I worked for a local authority council in IT so my experience in customer based situations is second to none but for some reason I've been overlooked a few times during the selection process and I've often been left baffled by the decisions made by respective HRs. I'll be honest and say that it is a lottery most of the time, but the biggest issues for everyone is the volume of applicants for each role which makes getting passed guest base extremely difficult. Just keep trying mate.

C J

Ladder23

Established Member
Ladder23

If its any conselation, I've had a handful of TOC applications fail at the paper sift and I'll be honest a couple of the jobs I could have nailed! I've got 15 years in the police and prior to that I worked for a local authority council in IT so my experience in customer based situations is second to none but for some reason I've been overlooked a few times during the selection process and I've often been left baffled by the decisions made by respective HRs. I'll be honest and say that it is a lottery most of the time, but the biggest issues for everyone is the volume of applicants for each role which makes getting passed guest base extremely difficult. Just keep trying mate.

C J

Cj, thanks for the response mate, I think you hit the nail on the head there with it being a lottery! Ultimately it’s not a dream job of mine, more so it was there at the time and I apllied as I was intregued, the pay would of been a serious drop. So with that I’m not to disheartened.

JaMa9

I have also known people who have more than the relevant experience for these sorts of roles and don't even make it to interview...as you will see, many on this forum apply several times before eventually getting the offer. Really does seem to be a luck of the draw. As said above, just keep trying, and it will happen sooner or later.

Bucephalus

... more so railway experience, ranging from customer service, pway and now currently with s&t working for a considerable amount more money....

With the above considered they might be wondering how long they could retain you as an employee. Months, weeks, days? I do hope you find something suitable though, with the right pay

Status
Not open for further replies.